Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: What is with it with these pills?  (Read 271 times)

Offline DeLellis123

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What is with it with these pills?
« on: December 27, 2013, 10:48:02 AM »
 what is it about anti depressants always giving me breathing problems? Does anyone experience this? I've tried numerous ones when I was younger and never had a problem before. Is there something in them does anyone know, like something to do with histamines or anything? I've tried citalopram, Zoloft, and now I'm on Paxil and getting off it as we'll cause it makes me tired and short of breath the majority of the day. I keep telling my doctor and she doesn't really get it either, I've gotten a chest ct scan, pulmonary function test, and a regular x ray when I first started it and nothing came up. I did have asthma as a kid, so Idk if it's that or what. I plan on going back to effexor soon, which worked well for 5 years before I stupidly hopped off it. I remember being really anxious in the beginning but if I have a hard time breathing, I'm done with trying these meds. Any input would be appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gandalf the grey

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What is with it with these pills?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 10:58:11 AM »
The first time i ever took one, trazadone for sleep, i had this exact problem. At the time, i had never taken any AA/AD drugs and the doctor prescribed me 100mg to take at night. I didn't know that this was a big dose for sleep troubles, but i had the medicine 'head rush' after about 15 minutes and was very short of breath.

It was so bad i was scared to go to sleep for fear i might not wake up. I went back to the doctor the next day and changed medications right then.

Three years later, i was prescribed Zoloft (just this november) and i was worried about similiar problems, since it was an SSRI. However, i started off on 25mg and moved up to 100 and have had no problems (well, with breathing, lol). So it is just possible that you haven't found the right SSRI yet.

If Effexor was working for you then i imagine that it would be the best option. I don't see why it would cause breathing problems now if it didnt in the past.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 11:28:07 AM »
Why aren't you on the Valium? Insights once advised you to stay on Diazepam (Valium), preferably full time, until you get stabilized on an antidepressant.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 03:41:36 PM »
Im on klonopin I've never gotten a script I was mentioning Valium because I was reading the Ashton manual on getting off the klonopin when I'm ready.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 06:55:56 PM »
what is it about anti depressants always giving me breathing problems? Does anyone experience this? I've tried numerous ones when I was younger and never had a problem before. Is there something in them does anyone know, like something to do with histamines or anything?

Many antidepressants, including Paxil, are antihistamines which usually make breathing easier. Your breathlessness is almost certainly from anxiety, not the meds. Once you get that under control the breathing problems should go away. In the mean time breathing exercises would help.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 08:33:46 PM »
what is it about anti depressants always giving me breathing problems? Does anyone experience this? I've tried numerous ones when I was younger and never had a problem before. Is there something in them does anyone know, like something to do with histamines or anything? I've tried citalopram, Zoloft, and now I'm on Paxil and getting off it as we'll cause it makes me tired and short of breath the majority of the day. I keep telling my doctor and she doesn't really get it either, I've gotten a chest ct scan, pulmonary function test, and a regular x ray when I first started it and nothing came up. I did have asthma as a kid, so Idk if it's that or what. I plan on going back to effexor soon, which worked well for 5 years before I stupidly hopped off it. I remember being really anxious in the beginning but if I have a hard time breathing, I'm done with trying these meds. Any input would be appreciated.

Based on your posts, and you've been posting on the Medication board for many months, you already are in a state of anxiety.  The breathing problems, which come from an anxious mind, are a product of what you are feeling now, not so much the medication.  Every anxiety disorder sufferer can relate with your current situation, because if anxiety is not managed properly, it can really screw up our lives. 

Believe me I know, since I have felt the months of constant feelings of doom, the loss of employment, the crazy panicky feeling that gets activated over almost anything, even stupid things, and the regret that I once knew the feeling of happiness.  And based on what you've written, you once felt stable on Effexor, about a year ago, but then got off, and haven't yet recovered for months.

When your psychiatrist puts you back on the Effexor - and as Insights has posted on this forum to all antidepressant second timers, like yourself - second time usage of an antidepressant (like Effexor) will not guarantee the same effect as when you first started.  If I remember correctly you were at 50mg Effexor, and more than likely,  you are probably going to be on a much higher dose, once you get back on it, by slowing upping the dose, since your brain may not adjust as quickly to Effexor as it once did, when first starting. 

During the Effexor transition, you can't expect this instant feeling of peace to descend upon you, because the antidepressant doesn't slather your brain with serotonin so you automatically feel better, instead the medication engages your brain to heal itself, through neurogenesis, where dead brain cells from previous psychological stress start to recover themselves.  Antidepressants reverse the process of brain atrophy, however it may take between 3 and 12 weeks for this process to happen.

And you don't seem very patient right now. If you were to get back on the Effexor or another antidepressant,  you will probably experience more anxiety during the initial weeks of your new antidepressant.  The idea that you can pop one Effexor, and then expect instant relief from your anxiety is nonsense, because your brain has to be given a few weeks to react to the pill in order to regenerate itself.  During the regeneration, your brain has to activate anxious parts of itself in order to build that parts of the hippocampus that died from previous psychological stress.

However - if you take the Valium regularly - which has the longest half life of all the benzodiazepines, you will have more access to the GABBA that you so instantaneously crave for to calm your anxiety down.     Unfortunately popping an Effexor will not give you that instant relief that you want now.   When you start the Effexor again, and titrate your dose up, the Effexor will start to work on neurogenesis, however during the interim, your mind can calm down through the benzodiazepine much sooner
'
So - if you really want to feel good for a while - you really should ground yourself with a benzodiazepine, like Valium, first.  You may have fears of being dependent on a benzo, however after the craziness of what you've experienced the past year, you may have to join the other anxiety sufferers that visit this board, and have accepted being on anxiety on medication for life.    Without the medication, your brain can't function properly on its own, and will be in a state of anxiety, like what you are experiencing now, with the breathing problems and the constant feelings of doom.  So taking a benzodiazepine long term should be ideal to your health, as you transition to an antidepressant, like Effexor, for anxiety management.

Technically, at this point, weaning off Klonopin is a really bad move on your part, , because you really need to be on a benzodiazepine daily, and the fact that you feel crazy would tell you.   I mention Valium because it has a longer half life that Klonopin, so if you were to take 20mg of Valium a day, the medication would stay in your system longer, where it could control your lack of Gabba which is causing your feeling of craziness.  You could get the same effect on the Klonopin, if you took it daily too. 

So if your doctor mentioned that you take the benzodiazepine daily, I would follow her orders, because it could remove the anxiety that you are going through now, until the new dosage of Effexor takes into affect.  Again, though, that time period maybe between two to three months, and you don't seem like the type that can wait that long to feel better. 

If you take the Valium/Klonopin daily, you'll feel better sooner than two to three months.

Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 04:10:55 PM »
I didn't realize that Paxil had antihistamine components in it, this might be why I have shortness of breath. When I was younger I had asthma and was told I couldn't have antihistamines but I outgrew the asthma. I'm starting to think maybe I never outgrew it at all. I'm just confused cause I know it's not anxiety cause I could be calm as ever and still have shortness of breath. Does anyone know if effexor has antihistamine components in it? I'm so confused I was on it for so long and never had breathing problems at all. My anxiety isn't very physical it's basically 98% mental.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 07:53:46 PM »
When I was younger I had asthma and was told I couldn't have antihistamines

You can read about the reason why this was the case years ago, and isn't any longer here.

Does anyone know if effexor has antihistamine components in it?

No, Effexor has little affinity to histamine receptors.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: