Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Food and drinks?  (Read 159 times)

Offline Lam123

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Food and drinks?
« on: December 27, 2013, 10:39:39 AM »
Hi! Does anyone have any food or drinks that they notice makes anxiety symptoms worse? I am noticing things might be worse when I drink caffeine, but not sure if it's all in my head or just coincidence.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Food and drinks?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 11:23:33 AM »
Hi Lam...  In early December I did a post entitled: "Diet: Don't Want To Feed My Anxiety".  I got an excellent response back from "Fearnot".  If you want to see my entire post, it is located on page 5 of this section, and dated December 9th.  Here is what "Fearnot" wrote.  The best to you, Lam!...  Chuck

Foods to avoid would be:

caffeine
too much salt (you only need between 1.5 to 3 teaspoons a day)
chili or spicy powders
alcohol
refined sugar and wheat aka "gut glues" (baked goods, cakes, cookies, white bread, pasta, granola, muffins, etc)
refined soy (soy milk, tofu, soybean oil)
industrial seed oils (canola oil, rice bran oil etc)
dairy if lactose sensitive
too many legumes, nuts and seeds - avoid peanuts
junk food
fast food
candy

Foods to eat (these contain GABA, theanine and tryptophan boosters):

Water (even the slightest dehydration triggers anxiety warning bells)

Low carbohydrate, alkaline-forming vegetables eg. asparagus, bamboo shoots, beets, bok choy, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbages, capsicum/bell peppers, carrots, celery, cauliflower, chard, chicory, choy sum, collards, cucumber, eggplant/aubergine, en choy, endive, escarole, gai lan, garlic, green beans, horseradish, Jerusalem artichokes, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, lettuce, New Zealand spinach, okra, onions, peas, pumpkin, radish, rutabagas, spinach, squash, sweet potatoes, tatsoi, turnips, and watercress.

Low carbohydrate, alkaline-forming fruits eaten “just ripe” are best for anxiety, such as apples, apricots, avocados, berries, cherries, coconut, currants, grapefruit, grapes, guavas, kiwi fruit, kumquats, lemons, limes, loquats, lychees, nectarines, oranges, passion fruit, peaches, pears, persimmons, rhubarb, sapotes, strawberries and tomatoes.

Nori (seaweed) is great for iodine and potassium, calcium, vitamins A, B1, C and E.

Lemon balm, rosemary, thyme and sage are natural anxiety and stress relievers in terms of herbs. Ginger for spices, and chamomile, lavender and dandelion in terms of edible flowers.

Mushrooms are great for B vitamins, selenium, copper, and potassium.

Meat with fat (not lean) and offal (livers!) are awesome for zinc, vitamin B12, selenium, phosphorus, niacin, vitamin B6, choline, riboflavin and iron. A number of forms of meat are also high in K2. Grass-fed is best.

Seafood provides high-quality protein, including oil-rich fish like salmon as great sources of Omega-3 oils as well as shellfish being particularly good for zinc.

Healthy fats and oils to use for cooking include avocado oil, butter, coconut oil, ghee, lard, macadamia oil, olive oil, schmaltz and tallow.   

Bone broths (or soups with bones, especially marrow bones) are great for those suffering anxiety and from acid reflux, IBS, or FODMAPS intolerance. The glycine found in bone broths is an inhibitory neurotransmitter, meaning that it helps you relax and improves sleep quality.

Eggs provide several vitamins and minerals, including vitamina A, B, D and E, choline, iron, calcium, phosphorus and potassium. Especially high in Omega-3 fatty acids, they are an excellent source of energy for anxiety sufferers.

Raw, fermented, full-fat dairy is probably best, such as cultured butter, yogurt, kefir, clotted milk, and aged cheese (gouda, cheddar). Full-fat, organic dairy would be next best while avoiding homogenised milk if you can.

Fermented foods and drinks to try out are sauerkraut, kefir, kombucha, coconut yogurt and tempeh. While helping balance your gut flora, many fermented foods increase the amount of B vitamins present, which is especially beneficial to anxiety sufferers.

Some nuts and seeds that are good are almonds, brazil nuts, cashews, chia seeds, flax seeds, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, pecans, pepitas, pine nuts, pistachios, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and walnuts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lam123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 11:32:14 AM »
Do you know why these foods are recommended? What does it have to do with anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Offline golliathjr

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 11:42:56 AM »
@Lam - As much as anxiety is a mental disorder, many of it's aspects can be linked to our daily diet and nutrition.  There are certain chemicals in our diet that may trigger anxiety eg. caffeine (being one of the worse)

Likewise, foods rich in nutrients that are easy on the body can promote a healthy brain function (not to mention the feeling of feeling amazing).

As a rule: refined, processed food promotes depression and anxiety due to the amount of insulin released on the body as well as how hard the body has to work in order to process it.

Natural, organic food is easier to process and the body has access to all the necessary nutrients to repair itself and promote a better well-being :)
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 12:05:55 PM »
Hi Lam...

First off, under "Foods to Avoid", you will find stimulants such as caffeine.  The last thing one's body needs when it is in a state of anxiety, is more stimulation.  Alcohol is a depressant, and also depletes the body of important nutrients.  Refined sugar causes blood sugar to rise sharply and then dip.  This up and down pattern can add to anxiety.  Wheat/wheat gluten is not good for supporting the adrenal glands, which can already be in a poor state if one has been in the grips of anxiety for some time.

Under "Foods to Eat", it starts off with water.  It is important to keep yourself hydrated as even mild dehydration can add to one's anxiety.  Another thing you want to do is to eat frequent, small meals containing the foods listed in this section.  It is better to eat 5-6 small meals a day, than 2-3 big ones.  This helps to prevent the up and down blood sugar pattern.  The foods listed below contain vital nutrients to support the repair of body organs that include the brain, adrenal glands, really all your organs.

Hope this helps answer your question, Lam.  The best to you!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kissa

• Rec's: 1
  • I don't remember what calm and relaxed is...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 12:56:41 PM »
Thank you for reposting this!

I have found that after eating lunch per se, I get anxious approx 20-30 min after. I have never taken notice to specific foods that this does it to, but perhaps I should start a list!

I have found that caffeine is a major NO NO for me! Well, let me take that back. If I know its only approx 8 oz, or I know I will be in a situation most of the rest of the day where I can try to control my anxiety its not so bad. My only exception is if I get really desperate at work. (can't stop yawning/falling asleep on my feet). At that point I have 2 options. Energy shots (can't stand the energy drinks) or caffeinated soda.

That has seemed to help, but I am always looking for more ways to help lower my general anxiety level. Perhaps I will start keeping a food journal to see if I can find a pattern!

Thanks again!
Bookmark and Share
Just because I understand an acknowledge what I am worrying about is silly, doesn't mean I'm able to stop worrying about it.
~One Breath at a Time~

Tags: