Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Meds and DEntal  (Read 106 times)

Offline Salus

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Meds and DEntal
« on: December 27, 2013, 10:34:07 AM »
Do meds interact with any dental stuff such as novacane? I might have a tooth pulled so im interested to know.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gandalf the grey

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Meds and DEntal
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 11:00:09 AM »
my completely unscientific answer is i don't think so, since sedation dentistry is itself a growing field, and sometimes they use benzos. But curious to know more about the topic, since the dentist is one of the times that i would take an extra klonopin (just recently prescribed).
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 11:19:38 AM »
For a topical anesthetic such as novocain,  you're fine to take your regular meds. For the nitrous oxide, the "laughing gas" I would probably avoid benzos or at least talk to your psychiatrist and/or dentist before doing so. Otherwise, I see no reason why you couldn't take your benzo an hour or so before your dentist appointment to help you relax, and in fact some people are prescribed them for that specific purpose.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 06:35:25 PM »
Do meds interact with any dental stuff such as novacane? I might have a tooth pulled so im interested to know.

Generally, no, but make sure you tell your dentist what meds you're on (all, not just the psych ones), and that you have an anxiety disorder so that s/he doesn't use a local anesthetic containing adrenaline, aka epinephrine, which may trigger anxiety.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: