Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: HIV from metal speculum? Can this be?  (Read 320 times)

Offline psychopika

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
HIV from metal speculum? Can this be?
« on: December 27, 2013, 06:59:24 AM »
About 2 months ago I went to a hospital/clinic for some routine tests. One of them included a PAP smear and they used a metal speculum to open my vagina. The nurse came in with this metal box where the speculum was, among other tools. I assumed it had been sterilized because it was in a metal box that the nurse came in with. It looked clean, but I can't be 100% sure. After she did the PAP smear I had a very little bit of bleeding as well.

It's just that 3 weeks after this, I became ill with a mild cold-like thing - I was dizzy, had a mild headache, a couple of smell tender lymph nodes in my neck. Also a small tender lymph node in my groin. I also had a vomiting, diarrhea and low-grade fever episode one night, but that might have been related to a separate food poisoning because it happened after eating a cream filled cake.

I was assured by doctors that I could not contract HIV from the speculum (the exact words were 'very unlikely', 'haven't been at risk in any way', 'no worries').

However, 2 months later, I had unprotected sex with my husband (trying to conceive) and 15 days after this, he came down with this flu-like illness - fever (which lasted only 1 night), headache, moderate fatigue, very sore throat, hacking cough. He feels terrible for days now. I started thinking that maybe I cought hiv from the metal speculum and that his illness is a seroconversion... especially because I don't seem to catch it from him although I've been around him all the time.

Can this be HIV or is my mind playing tricks on me? Was I exposed? I feel so worried and guilty! And I can't trust my judgement anymore when it comes to health issues...
Bookmark and Share

Offline eddarun

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
Re: HIV from metal speculum? Can this be?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 07:06:32 AM »
You would not get hiv from a metal speculum...even though it had been used on a hiv positive patient and not cleaned afterwards.  But those things are ALWAYS clean and sterilized...so you are worrying for NO reason at all:)
Bookmark and Share
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.  - Mark Twain

Offline tymommy

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 10:15:27 AM »
Don't worry babe tis the season for sickness.i hate this time of year sometimes. More than likely you caught a wicked flu bug fron the hospital.i almost always leave the hospital/doctor with more than what i came with. Your hubby probably has the crud everyone's been getting.and honey hiv dies outside the body in seconds. You're more likely to win 2 powerballs;-) .i promise :-) if you need anything let me know xoxo
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 10:26:20 AM »
Thank you both so much, eddarun and tymommy!

I sometimes get so paranoid over things like that and it's great that there are people like you to put my mind at ease a bit. My imagination can go wild :)

Hugs and wish you very Happy Holidays!
Bookmark and Share

Offline utahguy058

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 02:16:07 AM »
I hope that this still isn't weighing heavily on your mind still, but in case let me put your mind at ease. There is zero chance you were exposed to HIV, and what you are describing is not concurrent with Accute HIV. ( This is the initial illness within usually the first month after the virus has taken hold ) First off the HIV virus outside of the body is like a fish out of water. It dies very quickly. It needs the human host to stay alive, as soon as it oxygens it immediately starts to die. The metal object you describe is not a hospitable area for the virus to live. Also know that people with HIV that know they have HIV are most likely on medicine that takes the amount of virus detectable in their blood and sexual fluids to undectable. When a person with HIV has an undectable viral load the chance of passing on the virus is almost impossible, even in such cases as high risk sex. It is recommended that a man can impregnate his wife while he is hiv positive if he has undectable viral load. Finally the onset illness with HIV is not one night of a fever, or a slight headache. It is severe illness that leaves the patient in a state where they are unable to walk to use the bathroom. They have a high fever for a long time. They have severe fatigue. Eating food is not an option for weeks as they throw up the food immediately. It is similar to what people with Hepatitis A deal with for a month. It can seem mono like. There are body wide rashes involved. None of this is what you are describing. You can rest assure that you did not contract HIV from the way you mentioned. Even if they came in with a dirty metal object that they used on someone with HIV before you. Sorry, just not a chance that you got it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 12:53:33 PM »
I hope that this still isn't weighing heavily on your mind still, but in case let me put your mind at ease. There is zero chance you were exposed to HIV, and what you are describing is not concurrent with Accute HIV. ( This is the initial illness within usually the first month after the virus has taken hold ) First off the HIV virus outside of the body is like a fish out of water. It dies very quickly. It needs the human host to stay alive, as soon as it oxygens it immediately starts to die. The metal object you describe is not a hospitable area for the virus to live. Also know that people with HIV that know they have HIV are most likely on medicine that takes the amount of virus detectable in their blood and sexual fluids to undectable. When a person with HIV has an undectable viral load the chance of passing on the virus is almost impossible, even in such cases as high risk sex. It is recommended that a man can impregnate his wife while he is hiv positive if he has undectable viral load. Finally the onset illness with HIV is not one night of a fever, or a slight headache. It is severe illness that leaves the patient in a state where they are unable to walk to use the bathroom. They have a high fever for a long time. They have severe fatigue. Eating food is not an option for weeks as they throw up the food immediately. It is similar to what people with Hepatitis A deal with for a month. It can seem mono like. There are body wide rashes involved. None of this is what you are describing. You can rest assure that you did not contract HIV from the way you mentioned. Even if they came in with a dirty metal object that they used on someone with HIV before you. Sorry, just not a chance that you got it.

Thank you so much! What a great answer!

I am trying to give up this fear, or at least not dwell on it anymore. I have a bizarre thought process that associates all sorts of events in my life to what I fear most. In this case, it was HIV. I guess that's what makes me a hypochondriac.

I did tell my husband about my fears and he doesn't believe there was any risk either. In fact, he's quite convinced of that, so we're back at trying to conceive... and I decided not to test myself again as I just did 3 months ago in a pre-pregnancy routine testing. I trust I should be fine.

Like you said, even if there was something on the speculum, unlikely as it is, it should have died in minutes.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: