Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: What is shortness of breath, exactly?  (Read 160 times)

Offline sickofsickness

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What is shortness of breath, exactly?
« on: December 27, 2013, 01:34:30 AM »
This is a weird question, but I need some clarification (and perhaps it'll help others too). I often describe myself as suffering from SOB, which obviously aggravates certain fears (heart attack, lung cancer, etc). But sometimes I wonder if it's actuae shortness of breath. What I perceive to be SOB is when I constantly find myself breathing deeply because I feel like I'm not getting enough air. But I'm starting to think that that's a product of hyperventilation syndrome, which is often associated with anxiety. Is there a difference between hyperventilation and SOB?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ineedtosmile

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Flirty
    Flirty
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What is shortness of breath, exactly?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 04:39:59 AM »
I think Shortness of breath is describable as " a state in which a person is unable to breath as he / she normally can "
Bookmark and Share
Surprise ! ocd sucks.

Offline SlickDaddy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What is shortness of breath, exactly?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 05:57:09 AM »
It's anxiety related in most cases. If you feel that your breathing does not relieve you and you need to take a deeper breath that is because you are breathing irregularly. It's called shallow breathing not shortness of breath. It's in most cases related to anxiety I have had it and it lasts sometimes for 2-3 months. Caffeine seems to intensify this problem. If you are struggling to get a breath or feel you can't take a breath that is a different story. If you go see a doctor that could relieve you of worry which in return stops the shortness of breath. I have done just that and it suddenly stopped once a doctor confirmed my lungs and heart were ok. I have had every test known to mankind and I had nothing. The shortness of breath was related to my anxiety problem which likes to show it's face and give me a hard time!!!

http://saveyourself.ca/articles/diagnosing-shortness-of-breath.php

Bookmark and Share

Tags: