Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: pulmonary embolism  (Read 151 times)

Offline JenBNimble

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
pulmonary embolism
« on: December 26, 2013, 08:58:06 PM »
I'm totally losing it here...
I've been worried about blood clots in my lungs for some time now, and now I'm convinced that I have one. For the last week or so, I've been having these prickly feelings across my upper back, and occasionally I get a sharp pain in my chest when I take a really deep breath (like yawning). It seemed a little worse today, so like a good little hypochondriac I spent a few hours taking as many deep breaths as I possibly could to see how often I would get the pain (it was about 50/50). The pain is near my sternum on the right side. I would like to think that it's costochondritis or some other musculoskeletal issue caused by my anxiety and how tense I always am, but I don't know. I feel like I've totally lost the ability to think rationally about health-related things. I'm considering a trip to the ER.

Thoughts? It's nice to hear from people who can think more objectively about my situation than I can.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: pulmonary embolism
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 10:32:22 PM »
You have chest pains and admit you have anxiety and are tensing your chest a lot. That is the most likely cause of your pain.  Because those things will cause chest pain. So it is improbable that you'd be having those symptoms, and another completely unrelated one that is also causing identical sensations.  Theres this error in logic, where people think that specific conditions are more probable than a single general one. Of course, the single general one is significantly more probable. Even if multiple specific conditions have a very high probability of being true, it still has a lower probability than a single general one being true.

Its not your fault, not directly at least. We all do it. Even though we shouldnt. Getting faimliar with how your brain warps reality makes it easier to get a handle on anxiety issues.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: