Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of being alone  (Read 417 times)

Offline Amanda1286

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of being alone
« on: December 26, 2013, 07:35:52 PM »
I've recently developed an irrational fear of being alone. Since I had a psvt attack a little over a month ago, I'm afraid it's going to happen again and I'll be alone. I don't know why I'm so scared of this. Maybe because I have bad panic attacks and I feel like a panic attack will set it off? It's so bad that I've been working around other peoples schedules so I won't be alone. My therapist said I need to be alone and the longer I go on like this this the worse Ill get. It just scares me so bad. Anyone else have this fear? Oh and I'm also agoraphobic so that's fun too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of being alone
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 08:59:27 PM »
Its a pretty common fear among the anxious, actually.  Being with other people gives many of us a sense of reassurance and also keeps our minds busy with other thoughts instead of the fears about what is going to happen next.   Its true that we need to overcome this fear/discomfort, and it will happen when you feel better (eg are less anxious).  What gets you there, be it meds/therapy/time or some combination thereof, really doesn't matter, but when you do feel better its important to challenge yourself to face your fears, eventually they will recede.  That can take time, and at least in my experience requires controlling some of the anxiety first.   You definitely aren't the only one, lots of us dislike being alone.  Hope this helps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline RansfordRowe

• Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 01:53:04 AM »
Its interesting how only one person apart from me responded to your post even though over a hundred and fifty people read it.I would think fearing being alone is quite common amongst the anxious and non anxious.Personal I like beibg alone a lot of the time due to my anxiety being closely linked to people being around me.

People who are not very independant,or very confident I think need to have  someone around to bolster their confidence levels and to reassure them.Maybe some people who are very anxious look to  others to help to reduce their level of anxiety.Using them as a cruch or an anchor to cling to when they are struggling.Its natural I think to do this but not really a solution to the problem since that person will not akways be around.

For me its about learning to rely and trust yourself more to come through hard situations.Most panic attacks dont last long and usually nothing trully awful happens.Your worst fears dont actually happen.The last attack past and you survived so you can suffer the next one if it happens.

If it happens in public then find somewhere quiter to allow it to pass.
Bookmark and Share
Life can be heaven or hell depending on your frame of mind.Im trying to make it more heaven than hell.

Offline Laura48310

• Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 01:45:10 PM »
Yes i used to have this fear when I was experiencing panic attacks several times a week mostly at night. I would always want to be in the company of someone else because when I felt like i was dying i didn't want to die alone.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: