Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I have severe positional vertigo. Very scared. Need help!  (Read 261 times)

Offline Jazeraca

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have severe positional vertigo. Very scared. Need help!
« on: December 26, 2013, 03:31:13 PM »
Hi all, I suffer from GAD and HA. They are both pretty debilitating, unfortunately. :(

Last night I took magnesium citrate to help get my bowels moving, around 4:30 pm. Around 8:30 pm, I leaned my head back, and had the most severe vertigo I've ever had. This continued for a few more hours, every time I moved my head, especially in certain positions, I got pretty bad vertigo.

I called a service called Telehealth here in Ontario, Canada and they recommended I go to the hospital. There the doctor did some weird tests, like checking my reflexes, and inducing the vertigo, and said, "it is most likely Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). I don't think it's anything serious. If it gets worse, come back to the hospital, then we will do an MRI most likely." He gave me a prescription called Serc that my pharmacist refused to fill for me because I have a peptic ulcer, and it is contraindicated for that.

I am 32 years old. I have had vertigo in the past, but that was a very long time ago. I'm SCARED to death that it could be a neurological disorder like MS or brain cancer. Do I have anything to worry about? I can't function like this anymore. I am utterly convinced I am going to die soon, and it is taking a toll on my marriage.

Thanks.
Bookmark and Share
Dx: GAD, HA, BPD. LPR and peptic ulcer. Possible fibro.

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I have severe positional vertigo. Very scared. Need help!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 06:35:34 PM »
I had severe BPPV years ago. Go to an ENT and they can do the Eppley Maneuver on you. They did that to me and I haven't had and episode since! (touch wood!). You can look it up on youtube too and try it yourself, but I wanted a professional to do it. BPPV is when the "crystals" in your inner ear detach and send mixed signals to your brain about what position your body is in, this causes the dizzy spells. In the meantime, take Dramamine.

I would go directly to an ENT. I went to my GP and she just shrugged an said it should go away on it's own and gave me a Rx for Meclizine (Dramamine). If you want it gone right away, go to an ENT.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LivD

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 01:59:01 PM »
I'ts very common and totally harmless, just annoying. Last year I had it quite light - my head spinned when i was lying down - but a friend of mine couldn't even stand. He had the maneuver performed on him, while mine went away after a while. Don't worry!
Bookmark and Share

Offline strium168

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 12:01:13 AM »
Well, I read that BPPV rarely does anything bad, and basically the only danger is of falling down! I think you're good :D
Bookmark and Share
The only thing to fear is fear itself.
Too bad my mind doesn't want to believe that.

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 08:46:59 AM »
I had benign positional vertigo for weeks and my ENT said it would go away on its own and
it did. He said that crystals in your ear sometimes move and it takes a while for your brain
to adjust.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: