Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Can anxiety affect hypnogogic state?  (Read 209 times)

Offline Tobias

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Can anxiety affect hypnogogic state?
« on: December 26, 2013, 03:07:46 PM »
This is pertinent to me right now.

My story, for the first 6 months of the year I had a variety of symptoms. Felt I was slurring words, mixed up words in my head and when I spoke, a period of lightheadedness that lasted a month. Went to a neuro and had a complete work-up including MRI. Everything was negative. I asked if I might have an anxiety disorder. He said maybe and referred me back to my primary to possibly get counseling. My insurance won't cover that till next year. No counseling yet but the symptoms went away totally for 3 months.

Then, after my first trip in years, I get back and noticed what I guess is the hypnogogic state. Suddenly. Like a few days after the trip (which was fun) I couldn't get to sleep and I started to doze off a bit and have a weird half-asleep/half-awake dream. Not nightmares. It's be like I was at the beach fixing a bench. I'd wake up and try to figure out where did that came from. Then I'd have a different half-dream, then another. its taking me an hour to get to sleep because of this unless I put the radio on. Tried a mantra but that doesn't seem to work.

The dreams are not complete so I can't totally place them, like why was I at the beach, how did I get there) and I worry why did I dream that. I say dream but its really the edge of a dream as I wake up immediately and start worrying/analyzing the semi-dream.

They are sort of vague at times and maybe that is the subconscious coming in.

This has become my new fixation.

So far the earlier symptoms have not returned. It's this new one and it bothers me - though I was having trouble sleeping all year but one day suddenly after the trip I noticed this hypnogogic thing. I had never heard of the term before.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can anxiety affect hypnogogic state?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 11:34:17 PM »
Hi Tobias...  There are two terms: hypnagogia, which refers to the state of consciousness during the onset of sleep, and hypogogia, which denotes the onset of wakefulness.  So the term hypnagogia would fit in your case since you are in a state of drifting off to sleep.  There is evidence that individuals with anxiety disorders such as GAD, may be prone to disruption in the normal neural activity during the period that a person is falling asleep, predisposing the individual to a hypnagogia experience, that being the dream like experiences you are having.  Anything that you can do to set-up a more relaxing state prior to bedtime, thus reducing your anxiety, might lessen these experiences.  Things I do include not exercising to close to bedtime, not watching a stimulating TV program, and I also play a "rain" CD as I am falling off to sleep.  I hope this helps.  The best to you, Tobias...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tobias

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 02:12:02 PM »
Thanks.

My problem now is that I try not to think as I go to bed. Putting the radio on helps. Otherwise I slip into a semi-dream but wake up immediately when I realize it and try to figure out why the dream (its an in between state). The dreams are odd. Not nightmares. The next time it will be a different dream. One night I went through this in a out process for an hour before falling asleep. Radio helps but trying a mantra didn't really.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tobias

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 01:52:46 PM »
So the hypnagogic state is something everyone has but only certain folks (stressed) have an accentuated experience with it? Does the sub-conscious come into play? I'm trying to understand the odd hypnagogic "dreams" so as to maybe not obsess on them as I am doing.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: