Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Constant negative thoughts and sensations  (Read 215 times)

Offline Manuel

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Constant negative thoughts and sensations
« on: December 26, 2013, 11:26:50 AM »
It started in April of this year, I had my first panic attack and thought I was going to die, I called 911 and for them to come get me. They did an EKG on me and some blood tests and said everything looked good and to follow up with my doctor to find a medication that would work for me. I took .5mg Xanax for my anxiety. I have drank alcohol for about 15 years or shall I
say abused. I slowed my drinking down quite a bit, meaning just beer. I used to drink a pint of Seagrams Seven a night. I continued to have anxiety so I stopped drinking so I started feeling sensations around my liver and kidneys and numbing in left arm, tingling, cold sweats, shortness of breath. I thought I was dying internally. So I went back to my doctor and had more blood work done, they checked my thyroid, diabetes, lymphnodes results came back that everything was great. My doctor says it's just the anxiety. He prescribed me some anti depressants. I am a person that hates taking medication!! I took half of the medication which was 20 mg of citprolam, I think thats how it's spelt. Anyways it gave me double the anxiety so I did not take anymore. I made an appointment to go do acupuncture, it made me feel more relaxed which was good but 30 min after I was done (boom) anxiety again. I continued to go for another 2 mo. I thought I was getting a bit better cause I did not take any Xanax for 4 days. All of a sudden I had another panic attack and went to the ER. They did EKG, took blood, and checked blood pressure. Results came back great. So at this moment I'm angry, frustrated, tired of the sensations, heart attack feelings, shortness of breath. I started taking Xanax and  going right to the gym to work out for about a couple weeks. I felt better at the gym but again when I got out I felt the anxiety again. Soooo depressing!!!!
About a month ago I went to get a stress test on my heart cause I was getting really really really worried about theses sensations. I'm having a lot of negative thoughts continuously all the time. Well I did the stress test on my heart and results came back that everything is great. So for the past month I've been feeling this heart burn/ throat burn sensation. Doc perscribed me with Prilosec. It doesn't work. I am so stressed and depressed. I have these dying thoughts a lot. I just got perscribed Paxil and Lorazepam. Now I'm seeing a physiatrist. She says it's just anxiety/ panic disorder. But I hate these uncomfortable sensations. Any one feel me on this. I feel alone. Oh and I got an X-ray on my chest cause I thought I felt cancer or whatever on my chest. Results came back that everything is normal. This is all new to me. I no longer drink alcohol. It's been a few months.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Constant negative thoughts and sensations
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 06:13:00 AM »
Accepting anxiety can do all of this to you can be hard thing. It can seem like there is so much going on. You think ' it can't all be anxiety '. As if you would like it to be something else. But anxiety it is. Once we accept this we can begin to move forward. The symptoms do differ from person to person. It would seem like you are getting a lot of acid reflux. Around the throat area. Very common with anxiety. But it can be treated. You should end up seen a therapist and working on ways to make things better for you. Ways to keep your mind busy. When it is not busy we tend to think inwardly. Every little twinge is something bad in our minds. We focus in on it. Thus feeding the fear and making it even worse. So it is all about learning to take your mind off of things. Distraction is the main word here. Plus try and learn some deep breathing exercises. You will find loads on you tube. Then try and put them to good use. It may seem hard right now. But it does get easier the more we face up to it.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 08:53:43 AM »
Cuchulan has some great advice, I agree with him.

Yes, it is hard to accept that anxiety can wreak so much havoc on our bodies. I went through an echocardiogram and EKG, thyroid testing, chest xray, etc because I couldn't imagine that some of my symptoms were anxiety. Even checked for carbon monoxide poisoning because I was worried about my car (which had some merit, the exhaust wasn't the best) Turns out some of my anxiety IS hormonally driven, I am a female and I notice it's the worst premenstrually (sorry if TMI). But otherwise it was simply anxiety.

Distraction is important, as Cuchulan said. This is one of the things I'm having the hardest time with.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 09:27:27 AM »
Hi Manual...  I am so sorry to hear what you are going through.  I want you to know that you are not alone.  I think I have experienced everything that you are going through.  I have had at least three emergency room visits for panic attacks/anxiety, and two actual hospitalizations.  I've been to many different doctors to rule-out thyroid disease, adrenal tumor, heart disease, you name it.  I have had an MRI, and even a cardiac catheterization.  Regarding your post, I have several things to point out to you.  You are wise to give up drinking alcohol.  Alcohol is a depressant, and although it might initially seem to help anxiety by numbing us, it ends-up just making our anxiety worse.  Also, alcohol is just adding fire to those with acid reflux.  When starting a SSRI medication such as Citalopram (Celexa) or Paxil, one will normally see an increase in anxiety as a side effect of these medications.  This is because of the increase in serotonin.  This increase in anxiety can last several weeks before returning to baseline.  I was started on Citalopram five weeks ago, and my anxiety went through the roof.  I stuck with it and now I'm feeling better.  Also, if you start on a SSRI, you might want to stay away from proton pump medications such as Prilosec.  The two don't mix.  Cuchculan gave you some great advice.  Acceptance is one of the keys to anxiety.  You don't want to feed your anxiety by ending up in a fear-fear cycle.  Distraction is also important.  one should try their best o lead as normal a life's routine as possible.  I know, easier said than done, but it really helps.  The best to you, Manual!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Tags: