Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: First it was colon cancer, then MS, now Lymphoma!  (Read 198 times)

Offline imMatt

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
First it was colon cancer, then MS, now Lymphoma!
« on: December 26, 2013, 02:04:16 AM »
A little bit about me: I'm a 20 year old Male from MN. I've been very healthy all my life except for the fact that I was born 3 months premature. I am also a triplet for those interested :p. Anyways, ever since I was a little kid I have had a bit of health anxiety. "Pain means something is wrong" the doctor said. I was as healthy as can be though. One day I discovered a varicocele in my scrotum. Basically it is an enlarged vein. They are pretty much harmless, but my early teenage self freaked out. I held in the fear for years before I finally got it checked out, and it was nothing.

A few years later I started holding in my bathroom breaks at school, which caused some abdominal pain. Googling symptoms said colon or rectal cancer. Finally a year later I had a colonoscopy, and the doctor said that I had the best looking colon she had seen all day.

A few weeks after that, I noticed that the tips of my toes were numb. I work as a landscaper during the summer, and had been wearing some very crappy shoes. Being the worryer that I am, I googled and MS pops up. I suddenly remember a very brief facial numbness that happend to me 2 years before, and I am like "OMG I HAVE MS". More and more symptoms start popping up as I read about them. I finally go see my doctor (who at this point I know quite well) and he puts me on prozac. It seemed to work like magic, I felt like myself for the first time in a very long time and the "symptoms" that I had been feeling went away.

At least until I went back to school.

I started getting anxiety again going back to school, I was excited to see all of my college friends again, but I certainly was experiencing some anxiety. I got numbness and tingling all over, and some twitching. After a long few days of consuming beer and partying at school I started to burn. It comes and goes, but has been recurring for the last semester. It seemly gets worse after a night of drinking, and I know that combining fluxotine (prozac) with alcohol can really bring out side effects of a anti-depressant.

So I went on all semester, but I became incresingly curious about the burning and itching that I was feeling. I knew that anxiety could cause that feeling, and at this point I was more concerned about a burning neurologic pain from MS.

Then I remembered my lymph node in my neck.

As a young kid, I had a lot of strep throat and ear infections growing up. I discovered a rather large lymph node in my neck. I had to have been about 8 or 9 at the time, maybe even younger. I brought it up to the doc and she felt it and said it was fine. It was hard and moved around quite a bit. I forgot about it for all of these years, and it had never really ballooned up in size or anything. Its just there, maybe a little over 2cm long. It still feels just about the same as it did when I first found it (I think, kind of hard to remember).

So now that I type in "Enlarged lymph node, burning and itching" into google. BAM. Lymphoma pops up.

Help me guys. Why would I have a lymph node stay so swollen for such a long time?

Sorry for the long post, its just very frustrating dealing with something like this. I am just so sensitive to my body.
Bookmark and Share

Offline eddarun

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
Re: First it was colon cancer, then MS, now Lymphoma!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 04:51:22 AM »
Lymph nodes very often stay large after a bad infection.  Most of us have a few of those but many never go looking for them.  If it wasnt for HA I never would have found mine.  Not a chance you have had lymphoma since you were 8 years old....that should be proof enough that this lymph node is not lymphoma:)
Bookmark and Share
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.  - Mark Twain

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 08:20:02 AM »
How do you know it's a lymph node and not a saliva gland? They are also in the neck and they move around when you poke them. And just like lymph nodes they can change size. I have had a doctor feel my saliva gland in my neck and say it's a lymph node. But nothing happened. Then I had an ultrasound and it turned out to be a saliva gland, and not a lypmh node.
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion

Offline imMatt

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 12:15:56 PM »
Lymph nodes very often stay large after a bad infection.  Most of us have a few of those but many never go looking for them.  If it wasnt for HA I never would have found mine.  Not a chance you have had lymphoma since you were 8 years old....that should be proof enough that this lymph node is not lymphoma:)

I've heard of that before, I've had my doc feel it muiltiple times in the past and he has said that. He isn't concerned. I think I may have had a sever reaction to something as a child (I remember being sick, it could have been chicken pox or something like that) and that may be the reason I such a big permanent lymph node in my neck.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: