Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Blood on stool and so afraid of colon cancer.'  (Read 461 times)

Online Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Blood on stool and so afraid of colon cancer.'
« on: December 25, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
Hi everyone. I am net to this site. I am a 26 year old mother of 4 children and suffer from EXTREME HA. My latest obsession has been colon cancer. Late January I had a BM and happened to glance into the toilets and noticed my stool looked lighter in color than normal. This sent me into a complete pancreatic cancer tizzy. I hear lighter stool can be a symptom. From that day on I have been obsessed with checking my stool. A few weeks after thy scare I happened to check my stool an saw bright red blood streaked on my stool. WOW! Talk about freak out. Now I have completely convinced myself I have colon cancer. Since February I have had bright red blood off and on. Like I said I have had 4 children all delivered vaginally. What has really sent me into panic is last month my whole family had this quick 12 hour diareah stomach bug. My first 2 BMs were not bloody but after that the rest of the day I was passing bright and I mean bright red blood with the diareah and also on the TP. It was also accompanied by an extreme burning pain. Once the D stopped the bleeding stopped also. Here is the super embarrassing part. during the blood D I took my makeup mirror while sitting on the toilet and looked. I saw these dark purple swollen lumps around my anus but they disappear when I am not sitting on the toilet! Is that an internal hemorrhoid? I have spent countless hours on google! I feel like its almost an OCD compulsion to google symptoms. I have completely convinced and I mean convinced myself its cancer and its apread to my liver because I sometimes have heartburn and that can be a symotm of liver mets.
I finally made my self an appointment with a GI Dr and I am so scared.
Has anyone been through this kind of scare?
I have had MULTIPLE other cancer scares (brain, pancreatic, skin, cervical) but nothing this overwhelming!

Thanks so much for allowing me to share.
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Blood on stool and so afraid of colon cancer.'
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 09:39:51 PM »
Hi there. Just wanted to let you know that I have had much worse symptoms when I was your age for a long period of time (well before I had HA). Turned out to be nothing serious. Most likely you have hemmorhoids. Hang in there.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenniferio

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 10:10:15 PM »
I've had that.  Internal hemorhoids (sp?)

At the worst it could be some form of irritable bowel syndrome.  Google "blood on stool."

At the absolute worst it could be ulcerative colitis - I had tons of blood pouring on the floor with that.  A top gastroenterologist cured me.  Email if you want more details.
Bookmark and Share

Online Brick5711

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 12:17:06 AM »
It sounds like hemorrhoids to me. They can cause a lot of bleeding. I do recommend talking to a gastroenterologist though. I had a polyp and bleeding at 22.
Bookmark and Share

Online Lindsay2427

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 02:09:34 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I am such a nervous wreck over this. It's all I think about. It's consuming me. Has anyone every had therapy for HA?
Bookmark and Share

Offline imMatt

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 02:11:06 AM »
First hand experience here!

Don't worry, you do not have colon cancer!!!! I weren't threw a very similar panic a while ago. Generally, any time that there is blood streaking on the stool and burning pain it signals that you have a hemorrhoid. No big deal. Something that would be worrying would be things like (skip this part to avoid conjouring up symptoms you read about just in case): Large amounts of blood IN the stool or even floating freely in the toilet bowl, SEVERE ABDOMINAL PAIN, PENCIL THIN STOOLS, or BLACK stools.

The best thing you can do is drink plenty of water and up your fiber intake. Wait about a week. Don't buy shitty toilet paper, but some of the good stuff.

Cheers.

-matt
Bookmark and Share

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 08:13:44 AM »
I know that googling can sometimes make anxiety worse but, then again, knowledge is power. You have blood in your stool and automatically assume it's cancer when in reality it probably isn't.

Wikipedia

The classic warning signs include: worsening constipation, blood in the stool, decrease in stool calibre, loss of appetite, loss of weight, and nausea or vomiting in someone over 50 years old.

Only one or 2 of those don't cut it. You have to have almost all of them. For example, when hemorrhoids are inflamed, they cause blood in stool and decrease in stool calibre. That's not cancer.
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 08:19:47 AM »
Welcome to anxietyzone. At your age the chances of cancer are remote. It is good that you are
getting checked out by a GI physician.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 09:38:13 AM »
you have internal hemorrhoids and you can get them rubberband ligated so you stop bleeding. They are dilated veins from having children and pushing. Burning and itching is also a symptom, which you have. DO sitz baths, just sit in warm water to help shrink them and use preparation H. Use those witch hazel pads, too, don't use regular toilet paper and if you have to use toilet paper make sure it is plain white and not perfumed or color paper. If you are on the constipation side use miralax everyday to regulate BMs. This is also helpful if you are on the diarrhea side, as it will add bulk to the stool. Have a CBC checked for anemia...(from bleeding from the hemorrhoids. You likely have a thrombosed internal hemorrhoid and need it rubberband ligated. Tell your family doctor. THe family doctor will prob tell you to make an appt with a colorectal surgeon, and they will ligate the roid so it won't be there anymore. Classic hemorrhoidal symptoms is what you are having. Good luck! Also, in the meantime, your doctor could prescribe you a steroidal cream to use to help shrink the hemorrhoids.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 10:30:40 AM »
just sit in warm water to help shrink them

You mean cold water, right? Because things expand in high temeprature, and shrink in cold temperature. Warm water is not good for hemorrhoids.
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion

Offline Ineedtosmile

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Flirty
    Flirty
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 10:57:17 AM »
Hello, I also used to be obsessed about having colon cancer, i suggest if this persists that you visit your GP, Probably it is not anything serious, maybe it has been a torn vessel, maybe hemmorhoids ( sorry for spelling ) . But it would be good if you will visit your doctor...
Bookmark and Share
Surprise ! ocd sucks.

Online Lindsay2427

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 10:57:42 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I forgot to add I almost always have hard stools that range from hard pellets to hard formed lumpy stool that is wide in diamiter which I know can also cause hems to bleed. I have not lost any weight I have actually gained. I do not have fatigue, stomach pains or cramps and the only time my stool is "thin" is when I take my fiber gummies and drink coffee! It takes a natural laxative effect and my soft is very soft but fromed and thin and collects at the bottom
Of the bowl. It's like it didn't have time to bulk up. That has only happened twice during this almost year of intermittent bright red bleeding. The bleeding is also usually very very mild and usually on the last piece of Stool and the only time I have ever seen it in the water is with that bad D stomach flu. I am still extremely worried. I have mini panic attacks with each BM. My heart races and I shake afraid of what I might see. Terrible I know. I just want this to all go away. I couldn't enjoy my Christmas thinking about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ineedtosmile

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Flirty
    Flirty
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 04:13:25 AM »
Since you dont have any other symptoms than that, the chance that you have colon cancer is miniscule, alsmost nil.
Bookmark and Share
Surprise ! ocd sucks.

Offline Steelers629

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 07:35:39 AM »
Just know that bright red blood is actually a good sign.  That means something's wrong at the very end of the rectum, like hemmorhoids or fissures.  Dark maroon blood means it's coming from higher up in the GI tract.  Drink a lot of water and eat more fiber and you should see some positive changes in a few days.

Blood on the stool can be scary, but there is almost always another explanation for it.  If there was a tumor big enough to be causing bleeding, you would have all the other symptoms that someone else above posted.  When I was freaking out about colon cancer I pushed for a colonoscopy and it turned out to be completely unnecessary.  Best wishes.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: