Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Constant pressure in chest. Constantly burping. Heart fears.  (Read 586 times)

Offline modestaustin811

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • blah
    • Poke This Member
Constant pressure in chest. Constantly burping. Heart fears.
« on: December 25, 2013, 04:42:46 PM »
Hey so lately I've being getting tight pressure feeling in my chest. Feels like stuck air, I've been burping a lot and my rational brain tells me it's just be swallowing air somehow. But it's hard to convince myself that cause it's so close to my heart. The feeling causes palpitations at times, just feels like a stuck burp almost. No pain, just super uncomfortable and distressing.

Does anyone else get this?

Also, merry christmas!
Bookmark and Share
I'm not on any medication, not seeing a therapist, and I hate life.

Offline theelt712

• Queen Cardiochondria
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Strength is in the eye of the beholder.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Constant pressure in chest. Constantly burping. Heart fears.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 05:16:06 PM »
I could have written this post. I get it everyday, my belching is horrible. Do you get breathlessness with yours? I also get the palpitations with it as well. I also get squeezing in the left side of my chest constantly sometimes with it as well. You're most likely fine, I get this a lot and also freak out. Stay strong.
Bookmark and Share
Queen Cardiochondria.
"I would recommend that you lay off the Google crack pipe for a little while."- vardnas

Offline Jenniferio

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 10:13:16 PM »
I find that "Reed's ginger chews" are fantastic for all manner of digestive problems.  Only $1.29 for a box of a dozen or so.  Heartburn, burping, hiccups, gas, flatulence.

I heard about them on the radio and never make a move without them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 09:48:01 AM »
You are having classic dyspeptic symptoms and possibly a little costochondroitis from tense muscles. I would recommend using over the counter gaviscon for about a week and see if that helps, along with heat on your chest. IF that doesn't help, you could do over the counter prilosec for 2 weeks and then stop. Definitely use heat. Don't eat 2 hours before bedtime. Elevate head of bed about 4 inches. Eat small frequent meals. Avoid greasy, fatty foods, avoid vegetable oil, avoid soda, avoid beer and wine. Citrus type foods, chocolate, caffeine, you want to avoid, as that messes up the sphincter and allows for gastric contents to come back up into the esophagus. DOn't smoke. If after trying this stuff for a 2 week period you feel no difference, make an appt with a gastroenterologist, they can do an upper endoscopy and maybe a right upper quadrant ultrasound. Also, no NSAIDS like advil or aleve... as they are very irritative to the stomach. Also, i would avoid lactose, garlic, onions, artichokes, HFCS, and anything ending with an "-ose" during this time period as the normal bacterium digest this stuff and release a lot of hydrogen or methane and cause you to expel a lot of gas as in belching or farting.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 11:35:46 AM »
I get it too, but I also know exactly whats going on. There's this big nerve, the Vagus nerve. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/Gray793.png This is the route through your body it takes. Notice that it goes to your throat,  stomach, lungs and your heart. This is important.

What happens is you get upset. this upsets your stomach, and causes some acid reflux. because of the size of the nerve, it can refer sensation to other areas. Most people who get these issues won't have chest problems because they don't have anxiety. Sadly, those of us with anxiety have highly sensitive sympathetic nervous systems - which is the exact system the vagus nerve regulates. It lowers your heart rate - this is its purpose, and is completely normal.

But it gives us odd chest sensations. This triggers anxiety. So you tense up (you wont notice youre doing this) your upper body. This creates more stomach problems and makes your chest wall muscles sore. Then it loops and causes itself to worsen until the entire system is just exhausted.

I know some folks have reccomended changing your diet or taking medicine. This, however, is not necessary. Because in the end, the cause is anxiety and a negative reaction to the sensations it causes. The food can trigger it, yes, but its the anxiety that must be treated. And the one thing you can do to make sure your anxiety is never resolved, is to avoid the situations that make you uncomfortable. You must accept them as false alarms.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: