Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Convinced I have a brain tumor  (Read 244 times)

Offline hilario

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Convinced I have a brain tumor
« on: December 24, 2013, 04:04:59 PM »
Okay, so maybe convinced is a strong word. I am absolutely certain I have anxiety, but I can't just give that the benefit of the doubt when there's the possibility of something like brain cancer, can I? (especially after hearing anxiety and panic attacks can be symptoms of a brain tumor, yeesh)
Anyways, symptoms:

-Tension headache that comes and goes, but mostly stays (duration anywhere from 1-3 weeks, what's even more worrying is it feels like the pressure is coming from within)
-Constant "out of it" feeling/depersonalization/severe brain fog/inability to concentrate or do anything more complex than walking around
-Fatigue (mostly in the limbs)
-Pressure in my ears
-Dizziness (often resulting from the depersonalization or the headaches)
-TMJ (grinding teeth almost every night now)
-Varying degrees of sensitivity to light and/or noise
-Muscle twitching
-Overall just feeling like something is really, really wrong/feeling of doom, almost

These symptoms persist in some degree even when I'm "de-stressing" and very easily flare up. I've also taken allergy medicine, but it doesn't seem to do any good.

I know these sound like a textbook reaction to extreme duress, but they have shown themselves to be overwhelming sometimes and sometimes downright debilitating. In case you were wondering about my psychological situation: I just finished my first semester at college (I commute so I'm not really meeting anyone or making friends), I have social anxiety, and my father succumbed to bowel cancer two years ago.
I probably wouldn't be so scared of a tumor if not for the fact that relatively recently two people I know who are roughly in may age group developed brain tumors (one of whom died). I would be a little more at ease but my symptoms just won't leave me and I've never felt anything like this before. I've been worrying about this every second of every day now  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Convinced I have a brain tumor
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 04:12:50 PM »
I know these sound like a textbook reaction to extreme duress

Duress? No, they sound like textbook symptoms of GAD (generalized anxiety disorder). Like, there's no type of tumor that would come to mind before anxiety when you have those things. Especially depersonalization and a general feeling of doom
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion

Offline jmcewan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Convinced I have a brain tumor
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 04:26:15 PM »
TMJ directly contributes to tension and ice pick headaches, pain behind eyes, pressure in ears (which causes vertigo). And I read a neurological report earlier this week actually discussing how tumors don't cause muscle twitching.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: cancer tumor