Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Question for ladies...  (Read 158 times)

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Question for ladies...
« on: December 24, 2013, 03:49:06 PM »
Does anybody tend to get a bit of a "burning" sensation down there around the time of your period?

I've heard that this is quite common, and I've also heard that this is not common and should be evaluated. By heard, I mean I just Googled it, and I am now freaking out about the possibility of having another infection.

It's not very bad and not that uncomfortable, and nothing else seems to be abnormal. I have had a bit of an increase in discharge, but I thought that that was normal before your period too... I'm due any day now. Just really wondering if I should take something for it or see my doctor (which I don't really have the money for right now...).

It seems like the most likely culprit, if it's not just a passing or normal thing, is a yeast infection. If it was yeast, would it burn all of the time and not go away? For example, if this sensation goes away once I start my period, and doesn't start again after I get off of it, can I just assume it was a physiological reaction and not an actual infection or should I still see my doctor? I'm not having any itching and the discharge isn't clumpy. I don't think it's a UTI though because going to the bathroom doesn't make it worse or change it.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline stephtronic

Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Re: Question for ladies...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 05:17:29 PM »
Definitely freaking out about this now. Why do I let my brain get the best of me?

Last time I had a yeast infection, I freaked out about it because apparently being prone to yeast infections can be a sign of diabetes or HIV. I seem to be prone to them. I was tested for both and both came out negative. Now I'm wondering if I should get tested for HIV again because maybe the last test was wrong because I got it done at AIDS Alabama which isn't an actual medical clinic but they work with people who have it and have counselors that do the testing. They're not actually trained medical professionals though, so I'm worried now that maybe it was wrong, and I have HIV, and I'm going to die. That test was a few months ago. Last year and the year before that, I donated blood, and I've been told that I'm eligible to donate again, so clearly I was HIV negative then... and I've had the same sexual partner for three years now, and he's faithful. I don't do any risky behaviors that could expose me.

I know this must be the HA getting the best of me. I mean, even if it wasn't a doctor that did the test, she's done them before and has been trained to do them and knows what she's doing, right? She would have known if it hadn't come out right or had been done wrong, right? She seemed like she knew what she was doing. Uggggghhhhhh. I hate this. I don't even know that it's a yeast infection for sure. It's possibly just irritation before my period or irritation from something else. I mean, even if it IS a yeast infection, they're not life threatening and if I haven't been proven to have diabetes or HIV, then I could have just gotten one. I have been eating a lot of sugar lately, which I know is a no-no. Also apparently (this is even more TMI than previously) the tube of lube that I use with my fiancee has an ingredient that can "cause" yeast infections in women prone to them.

So there are a lot of potentially benign causes, but I can't help but focus on the malignant ones.

I have a diflucan pill that I could take for the yeast infection... but I don't know for sure that's what it is... AND it doesn't help that I'm terrified to take diflucan because it's hard on your liver and liver worries are my thing right now, but if I went to the doctor for it, they'd just give me a diflucan script because they say my liver is fine anyways.

I hate this.

:traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Re: Question for ladies...
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 05:30:23 PM »
Okay, I read this on MedlinePlus:
Repeat infections that occur immediately after treatment, or a yeast infection that does not respond to any treatment, may be an early sign of HIV.
It's been at least a month since the last official infection that I had, and the infection responded to treatment...so.... that's good.

The last time I was at the GYN which was a couple weeks ago he mentioned that I had some yeast but that since I was asymptomatic, it didn't need to be treated. I asked a couple other docs about that, and they agreed... but now I'm wondering if I just always have an asymptomatic infection or something and it never went away and is a sign of HIV. :(

I also read this about yeast infections:
Symptoms typically exacerbate the week preceding menses with some relief once menstrual flow begins.
Which just reinforces my fear that I always have an infection but it just usually isn't symptomatic.

But isn't Candida always present anyways?

I also read this:
Of note, the correlation between the level of immunosuppression and vaginal candidiasis may not be as strong. In a cross-sectional study of 833 HIV-infected and 427 HIV-uninfected women, the annual incidence of vaginal candidiasis in the 2 groups was similar (9%).
So I guess vaginal infections aren't as huge as an indicator of HIV as some people suggest. I think the oral kind is a bigger indicator of HIV. And I also believe that I've read that it occurs in advanced HIV... which if I was for sure negative last year because of the blood donor thing, then there isn't a way that it could be at that stage already.

I'm really sorry about clogging up the board with this. I'll try to stop ranting and raving and posting. I'm just having a tough time.  :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share