Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Night sweats, chest discomfort, anxiety!  (Read 565 times)

Offline psychopika

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
Night sweats, chest discomfort, anxiety!
« on: December 24, 2013, 11:55:19 AM »
Hey there,

It seems these 2 last months I've been through mental Hell...

I've somehow gotten into my head that I suffer from lymphoma. 2 months ago I went to take a blood typing test and it turned out I had B blood group, but that is impossible because both my parents have O. I've started to think that maybe my blood type changed and I've read that rarely lymphoma and leukemia can change the blood typing result. Perhaps there are other explanations for my B blood type but I have my mind SET on lymphoma!

After the blood type result, I've been incredibly anxious, even delirious, horrified, to the point where I feel I'm losing my mind. I've been absolutely convinced that I have lymphoma but so far all the ultrasounds I had done showed nothing (abdominal, neck, groin).

I've started having night sweats in November, first they were once a week, then were gone for 3 weeks and now they're back at the end of December and they're almost daily. My night sweats are not drenching, but I do sweat quite a bit on my chest and sometimes on my legs as well. My T shirt is a little moist and when I get up I feel a bit cold but not feverish. I don't remember having any nightmares or being scared in my sleep. I sleep tucked in a heavy blanket but I get cold otherwise and I've always slept like that but didn't really sweat before. There's also a lot of humidity in the air outside (94% in the last days and very foggy). I am also very stressed and worried about lymphoma - the night sweats started after thinking that I have it and reading about the symptoms.

I also have a discomfort on the right side of my chest near the sternum. It's behind the ribs and it radiates to the back and front. It's a dull burning ache, sometimes more pulsing and I get it on and off for like 5 weeks now. It's worse in the last 5 days when I've focused on it more. I'm convinced this is the lymphoma I fear trying to burst out of me or something. Doctors suggested a muscular problem or a rib problem, but I do feel it inside my chest as well. It's almost gone at night when I sleep and in the morning and gets worse during the day.

Also I have trouble with gaining weight... I used to be 115/119 lbs, now I go up and down between 113/117 lbs and I'm freaked out because although I'm not very hungry I force myself to eat and I still can't gain those 3-4 pounds back.

These things - the chest discomfort, the night sweats, the blood group, the  weight loss - they make me think about lymphoma. They make me convinced I have it... my husband thinks I'm crazy, but I think he's tired of my health anxieties which I've had for years.

Do you have night sweats? Can they be related to this horrible stress? Do these sound like lymphoma?

Oh, and... MERRY CHRISTMAS :)

Bookmark and Share

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Night sweats, chest discomfort, anxiety!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 12:29:46 PM »
1. Blood type. Maybe your dad is not your dad. Ever think about that? That's more likely than a lymphoma if you have different blood type. And are sure that you have to have blood type the same as one of the parents? I know nothing about genetics. Research!

2. Lyphoma. Do you feel any lumps anywhere in your body? Because that's what lymphoma feels like and I haven't noticed that you mentioned it in your post. And it's not just anywhere, there are certain areas in your body where these lymph nodes are. http://www.wikihow.com/Check-Lymph-Nodes

3. Weight gain. A syptom of anxiety is weight loss (or gain, it differs from person to person). And 3-4 pounds is nothing! I am 6.5 and have like 160 pounds. I don't care because I don't feel bad because of it. I'm healthy and in pretty good physical shape.

4. Night sweats. Anxiety 4sho.

5. Chest pain. Could be made stronger by anxiety but who knows. If the doctors haven't found anything wrong, you shouldn't worry. If this is something they mentioned, and not the result of a physiatric exam, maybe you should get yourself checked. But if it's not really intense and you only worry about them, it's probably nothing serious.
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 12:45:27 PM »
1. Blood type. Maybe your dad is not your dad. Ever think about that? That's more likely than a lymphoma if you have different blood type. And are sure that you have to have blood type the same as one of the parents? I know nothing about genetics. Research!

2. Lyphoma. Do you feel any lumps anywhere in your body? Because that's what lymphoma feels like and I haven't noticed that you mentioned it in your post. And it's not just anywhere, there are certain areas in your body where these lymph nodes are. http://www.wikihow.com/Check-Lymph-Nodes

3. Weight gain. A syptom of anxiety is weight loss (or gain, it differs from person to person). And 3-4 pounds is nothing! I am 6.5 and have like 160 pounds. I don't care because I don't feel bad because of it. I'm healthy and in pretty good physical shape.

4. Night sweats. Anxiety 4sho.

5. Chest pain. Could be made stronger by anxiety but who knows. If the doctors haven't found anything wrong, you shouldn't worry. If this is something they mentioned, and not the result of a physiatric exam, maybe you should get yourself checked. But if it's not really intense and you only worry about them, it's probably nothing serious.

1. I did think about my dad not being my dad... There are a few similarities with him that make me think he's my dad though. I don't look much like him, but there are details... I'm very troubled about this subject. My mother used to fool around with her ex husband around the time that I was conceived, and he has blood type B - but I don't look like him AT ALL. I also researched blood type inheritance and 2 people with blood type O cannot possibly have a child with any other blood type than O.

2. I don't feel any concerning lumps anywhere. I've checked anything that was of concern. I have a swollen node in my neck but it's small (8mm-1cm), mobile and did not increase in size in over a month. I was worried that maybe I have lymphoma in my chest, the only place I haven't look... there are lymph nodes there but I can't feel them!

5. The chest pain is weird... I have had pains before in different areas of my body. One pain that lasted for 3 months, in my lower left abdomen and did every test possible and it was nothing - some muscular tension from stress. This pain is a lot like that one only it's in my chest. I consulted with a doctor who said it was probably an irritated muscle or a stuck rib. I don't know if I should see another as I'm not that rich. I'm also afraid of having an X-ray because of the radiation and the possibility that they will find a huge lymph node there. I just wish it would GO AWAY! I've read that lymphoma doesn't hurt...
Bookmark and Share

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 01:10:39 PM »
1. I did think about my dad not being my dad... but I don't look like him AT ALL.

If only B type parents produce B type children, and you are a B type child, then your parent must be B type. It's logic! I have my father's nose and height, the rest is my mother.

5. The chest pain is weird... I've read that lymphoma doesn't hurt...

It's true, lypmphoma doesn't hurt. Cancer is a bunch of cells that have grown where they shouldn't have, it hurt's only when this tumor is so big as to apply pressure on another part of your body. If your nodes hurt, it's not lymphoma. But you said there were no enlarged nodes so there's that. As for the pain, well what can I tell you. I have a pain in my knee every time the weather is changing. And I'm not an old person, I'm 27!
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 01:19:01 PM »
1. I did think about my dad not being my dad... but I don't look like him AT ALL.

If only B type parents produce B type children, and you are a B type child, then your parent must be B type. It's logic! I have my father's nose and height, the rest is my mother.

5. The chest pain is weird... I've read that lymphoma doesn't hurt...

It's true, lypmphoma doesn't hurt. Cancer is a bunch of cells that have grown where they shouldn't have, it hurt's only when this tumor is so big as to apply pressure on another part of your body. If your nodes hurt, it's not lymphoma. But you said there were no enlarged nodes so there's that. As for the pain, well what can I tell you. I have a pain in my knee every time the weather is changing. And I'm not an old person, I'm 27!

Well, thank you so much for answering me!

Perhaps I don't have lymphoma, I sure hope that I don't! It would be bizarre that the first symptom would be a change in my blood type but no other changes to my complete blood count which came out absolutely normal and typical for me.

I thought I had my dad's nose as well, but apparently he might not really be my dad now. It's just such a mess and I'm overly stressed and confused.

I do hope that the night sweats & weight loss are related to my anxiety, that's why I was curious if more people with health anxiety and such have them as well.

So please, if anyone has any input on this, I'd love to hear!
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 04:32:59 PM »
I've decided I will get a chest X-ray as soon as possible... I will call the clinic tomorrow and make an appointment.
I just can't deal with all this anxiety. I hope it will be OK. :(
Bookmark and Share

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 04:40:11 PM »
That's a reasonable thing to do!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sarina3512

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 08:40:31 PM »
Have they tested your thyroid?
Bookmark and Share

Offline SighNoMore

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 08:46:54 PM »
I had night sweats for a year and a half. I was convinced they were something horrid, but it was anxiety. I know how scary and frustrating it can be. Anxiety can really do so many weird things to the body.
Bookmark and Share

Offline scooter

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 01:04:34 AM »
If your parents had their blood typed a while ago it is quite possibly one of them who had it done incorrectly. Depending on your age your parents might have had it done using an older method. I only know my own type because I did it myself in biology class in high school, and if that is where their info comes from wither your dad or mom might be wrong. Be careful about rushing to accuse anyone of not being your father or thinking the worst.

As for the lymphoma, it sounds like you have had a lot of tests. There is a common inflammation of cartilage under the ribs that often aches. The condition is called costochondritis and it need not be worried about at all. Next time you see your doctor you can ask about it. Everything else sounds exactly like health anxiety!
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 10:02:34 AM »
Have they tested your thyroid?

They saw it on the ultrasound and it looks fine. I haven't done any blood tests.
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 10:04:34 AM »
I had night sweats for a year and a half. I was convinced they were something horrid, but it was anxiety. I know how scary and frustrating it can be. Anxiety can really do so many weird things to the body.

Oh, yes, they can be so scary, especially when you think about lymphoma and such!

Yesterday I tried to sleep without my blanket and I had no night sweats. I also took my temperature at 4am (yes, I woke up at 4am especially for that!) and I didn't have a fever.

Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 10:11:04 AM »
If your parents had their blood typed a while ago it is quite possibly one of them who had it done incorrectly. Depending on your age your parents might have had it done using an older method. I only know my own type because I did it myself in biology class in high school, and if that is where their info comes from wither your dad or mom might be wrong. Be careful about rushing to accuse anyone of not being your father or thinking the worst.

As for the lymphoma, it sounds like you have had a lot of tests. There is a common inflammation of cartilage under the ribs that often aches. The condition is called costochondritis and it need not be worried about at all. Next time you see your doctor you can ask about it. Everything else sounds exactly like health anxiety!

I am thinking about this possibility as well. My father was a blood donor so he's certain his blood type is O. My mother had her blood typed when they released her ID, so it was back when she was 14, 15 - it said blood type O. I'm not sure if she had the test repeated later in life. I can't ask her because she died several years ago.

I was thinking about costochondritis as well but the doctor I saw told me I don't have the usual symptoms - I think the pain is supposed to be more intense and it should hurt when I press on my ribs. However I've had costochondritis before on my lower ribs and I didn't have any pain when I pressed on the ribs but they did hurt underneath if I grabbed them, so I don't know what to say.

This particular chest pain is somewhat of a mystery. It does increase when I'm stressed and decreases when I relax. Also it seems to hurt more when I swallow and sometimes when I press on the side of my neck, 1-2cm above the clavicle. Bizarre.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: