Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Some things to know about anxiety  (Read 351 times)

Offline doogle2

• Rec's: 4
  • AKA doogle
    • Poke This Member
Some things to know about anxiety
« on: December 24, 2013, 06:34:54 AM »
I have suffered from anxiety for a long time and thought I would share some of the things I have learned about it with you all.

1). Recovery is a learning process.

In my experience you don't just get over anxiety - you learn about anxiety. You learn what anxiety is, you learn what it does to you, you learn how to reduce the effect(s) that it has on you, you learn how to cope with those effects and you learn what creates your anxiety and how to avoid it. Ultimately you learn to UNDERSTAND ANXIETY. And once you have learned to understand your anxiety then you recover from it.

Now all that takes time and so we need to accept that.

2). Not accepting - that anxiety takes time to fix, simply creates more anxiety.

THE biggest thing that helped me in my recovery with anxiety was ACCEPTANCE. Accepting that patience was required, acceptance that symptoms will persist, accepting that I wasn't going to feel "normal" for some time and accepting that recovery was SLOW and that learning to MASTER it was going to take time.

Before I accepted all of that then I was trapped - because I was anxious about being anxious and that was what kept me ill. After I accepted all of that - I was still anxious, still jittery, etc. but I wasn't anxious about anxiety itself and that was what helped me get better. You see anxiety can be a trap - we develop anxiety for whatever reason, but what we don't realise is that it is anxiety itself that perpetuates our anxieties and if we can learn to not be anxious about anxiety (our symptoms, our thoughts, our emotions at the time, etc., etc.) then we can break the loop and finally give ourselves a chance to heal.

3). The cure for anxiety is not "out there" - the cure for anxiety is within us .

Perhaps the most important thing to remember is that anxiety is created within us - we are the anxiety factory and nothing and I mean nothing external has the power to create anxiety within us IF WE SO CHOOSE.

IT IS OUR INTERNAL REACTION TO THE EXTERNAL EVENT THAT CREATES ANXIETY - and so if it is our internal reaction that creates anxiety then that internal reaction is where the work needs to take place.

Remember this the next time you are faced with an anxiety inducing "event" because it is your internal reaction to the "event" and not the "event" itself that will be creating your anxiety and learning how to handle that internal reaction is how we recover.

4). Everything changes - nothing stays the same forever.

This is something that took me some time to get my head around, because things for me had changed for the worse - a lot worse - and due to that I was miserable and depressed, but what we must remember is: If things can change for the worse then they can also change for the better.

This is a really, really important thing to keep in mind whilst we are in the downward slope of anxiety - THINGS ALWAYS CHANGE and can and do change for the better again. When we start to learn to accept, then how to cope, then to how to understand anxiety and what created it in the first place - things do get better - so hang on in there until they do.   

5). We have the amazing ability to forget everything.

When you are spiraling into anxiety and cannot remember what it was like to feel well, normal, sane, etc anymore and are now worried sick that you will never feel good again, never feel yourself again, never laugh, love or feel alive again FEAR NOT because the minute you start to feel OK again you can forget all about your troubles.

Don't believe me? then how come you forgot about all the good stuff?

You forgot about the good stuff because you are only thinking about the BAD stuff and so - just as now, when all you can think about is the bad stuff, when you are feeling better again, which you will in time, you will forget the bad stuff because all you will be thinking about is the good stuff.

This is how it works - this is why, at the moment, we cannot remember the good stuff, but trust me in time when we learn about anxiety and learn how to get better again everything changes and all the bad stuff disappears - because we have this amazing ability to forget. Now of course that doesn't mean you can't remember again if you want, but why would you want to - just let it go - it's happened get over it -  move on (and in time you will learn how to do that) and granted forgetting about the bad stuff is harder than forgetting about the good stuff - but that is only at first, and that again is something we learn to get better at.

So don't worry if things don't look good for you at the moment - it all has the ability to be changed and forgotten about - IN TIME - so just be a patient patient (don't forget you are ill) and give it that time by accepting where you are with it at the moment.

Hope it helped - I wish you all a very Merry Christmas - best Wishes, Doogle  :action-smiley-065:           

Bookmark and Share
The human mind is inspired enough when it comes to inventing horrors; it is when it tries to invent a Heaven that it shows itself cloddish ~ Evelyn Waugh

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 73
    • Poke This Member
Re: Some things to know about anxiety
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 08:28:51 AM »
Very good description of what happens.

Yet things can seem more complex. There is the organic aspect of the brain itself, there is the massive influence of childhood, and I doubt we ever truly "recover from it." For me it is fear, worry, helplessness, phobias, anxiety, depression, repression, etc. We may experience levels of control, but are we ever "cured?" Doubt it. A diabetic must take insulin. Acceptance is indeed very big. It is a foundation and from there we can move forward.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year to all. In 2014 we will conquer all, ha ha.

Bookmark and Share

Offline nancyga13

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 10:51:35 PM »
Wow thank you so much for your post this is something I really needed to hear and I think I will somehow write this down so I can have it to read when I get lost in myself...thank you so much!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline chris1234

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 11:31:57 AM »
Tina good point childhood memories are huge, but not everyone has had problems since they were a child lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 73
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 03:25:42 PM »
Oh, I know I stir the fires these days if I bring up childhood.

It's not always easy to know what went on back then. It may not necessarily have been as overt as addiction, or divorce, or neglect, or being a burden, or poverty, or dislocation, etc. Took me just about a lifetime to understand much. For me such understanding is the foundation for all else I try with reason, with reconditioning, rethinking, with awareness, etc.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Equalizer

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 04:06:11 PM »
Well said, appreciate the post. One day at a time.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: