Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Holiday Anxiety  (Read 206 times)

Offline shininglights98

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Holiday Anxiety
« on: December 24, 2013, 01:27:09 AM »
Tis' the season for Social Anxiety and panic attacks (again). I have a love-hate relationship with Holidays. I enjoy all the lights and happiness... Sitting in a candle-lit room, listening to soft music. The joy of giving and receiving gifts, and smelling the crisp cool air.

However... Just knowing you can barley go out of the house without getting attacked by groups of shoppers, people in cars, pickpockets, scammers, and others; approaching you to have an intense debate on religion while you're in the checkout line at a store. You're forced into family dinners and meetings where relatives you haven't seen in 5+ years are awaiting to interrogate you on personal subjects. The feeling that the whole world is talking to you at once and you're trapped in a bubble. The dreaded fear that something awful will soon happen, such as being struck with illness and unable to seek medical attention. Or the simple feeling a sadness and regret. Oh, how the Holidays upset me...  :(

Wishing everyone luck in dealing with their Anxiety and Depression~
Bookmark and Share

Offline shefloats

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Re: Holiday Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 04:15:50 AM »
Oh man, I could have written this.

Dont forget to take time this season to take care of you. <3

Take care and dont forget to breathe!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 06:32:49 AM »
I think you will find many others just like yourself. I hate this time of year. I don't stop others enjoying it. I still buys gifts for people. But if I could sleep through the next week or two I would. I certainly know I won't be going near any shops at all. I do my shopping early. Talking starting in July. Yes. That early. Just basic presents. Just so there is no last minute running around in this hectic time of year. I do my best to keep myself to myself. Let others get on with Christmas and whatever else they want to do. I am single, no kids, so none of that side of things to worry about at all. The last few nights my sleep has been bad. Even though I am not out there shopping I still feel tired. Like I could just close my eyes and sleep. But it can get to a lot of people. So you are far from alone.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline knittykitty

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 10:16:30 AM »
Similarly to the above I'm not terribly happy at this time of year, my GAD shows its worst side when I'm not at work. I suffer stress/tension headaches from being (or attmpting to be) an overachiever at work, and spend my days using avoidance tactics to avoid headaches (checking what I eat, drink etc. rather than tacking the overworking itself), its become an all consuming issue, problem is I now project it on my son, when I'm not at work I spend my hours double and triple checking what I can do to prevent him getting a headache. The panic attack I have when he has had one is awful (he is 8 and has only ever had 3 or 4 tiny weeny ones as a result of sport in the cold on an empty stomach) and can last for days, so any avoidance methods have been employed to obviously now detrimental effect. My therapist and I are working on back tracking this avoidance with coping and corrective thinking exercises, but its hard and I haven't had much success yet (I've been to 4 weekly sessions so far)...

Anyhow at christmas my office closes down, so I spend time with my family, and obviously my son. Its become such an awful time where I have no space in my head for any enjoyment, I can't cook, clean and I can barely organise presents and cards....Loads of people out enjoying themselves, and I just don't feel it. I'm exhausted and cold and completely overwhelmed with worry. My husband is being such a great support doing everything for tomorrow, and that in itself is so sad for me. I love my family, but I'm so sad I'm not enjoying this...

Gald to find this forum - I know I'm not alone but its hard x
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 05:45:53 PM »
Similar to kitty above, I find this time of year difficult right now.  I also do better at work, being busy helps.  I do like to see other people though, that does help take my mind off myself.  Its when I am alone that I am most likely to feel more depressed/anxious.  This is the first Christmas since I got sick for the third time in my life (now 56) and also without both my parents, so that brings extra stuff into the equation.  I was asking about a change in medication just yesterday to my pdoc, and other than upping the fish oil pills, she preferred to leave it alone for now, since she says the holidays are hard on folks like us so may not be representative of what degree of recovery is happening.  I can take extra clonazepam if needed and took an extra crumb today after a harrowing day yesterday which allowed me to shop with my wife without undue distress.  Last year the holidays were much better and I can only hope that the 2014 holidays will also be good, but for me 2013 was pretty much the worst year in my life so far.  Hope all of us have a much better 2014, tomorrow can be better than today.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jwall378

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 01:27:44 PM »
Yes, I think most of us deal with elevated anxiety around the holidays. For me it's usually my health anxiety. I get the morbid thoughts on Christmas and New Year's. I seem to always wonder....is this the year the doctor really finds something wrong with me? Is this going to be my last holiday season with my wife and son? It sounds morbid, but I get those thoughts. Also, I think about the end of a joyous, happy season; and after New Year's starts the long, cold, dull winter....that also heightens my anxiety.
Bookmark and Share
The more we think about things, the worse they get.

"Don't worry, about a thing. 'Cause every little thing's gonna be alright"-Bob Marley

Tags: