Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I hate waiting for blood test results....  (Read 552 times)

Offline Brooke2288

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I hate waiting for blood test results....
« on: December 23, 2013, 08:30:30 PM »
Today I had an appointment with my OB doctor, as I am 23 weeks pregnant with twins. I was telling her about how I have been feeling dizzy, having heart palpitations, shortness of breath, and feeling very tired. She said those could be symptoms of anemia in pregnancy and that it is extremely common, especially with twins because of the extra blood supply I am having to supply to two babies. She decided to do some blood work, so she did a CBC, something to test my electrolytes, and a blood test to check my thyroid levels. I was told to call tomorrow morning and they would give me my results. I have a huge lymphoma fear so the CBC makes me very anxious. I know that if I'm told I am anemic that my HA will cause me to freak out and assume it's lymphoma, when the way more common possibility is because I'm pregnant with twins! At one of my early appointments back in September, They did all the blood work, including a CBC and all came back completely normal, but of course my HA is causing me to worry that something bad has changed in the last 4 months... ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline LostKeys

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I hate waiting for blood test results....
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 10:43:46 PM »
I hope everything goes good for you! =-)
Bookmark and Share

Offline SighNoMore

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 12:06:59 AM »
I have had the lymphoma fear as well, and when I was anemic during pregnancy it freaked me out even though I knew I would be. I have been every time I'm pregnant. Please don't let the anxiety win. Enjoy this pregnancy.  You do not want to look back with regret for not enjoying the moments of carrying those sweet babies.
Bookmark and Share

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 08:28:14 AM »
Hi there, it's always difficult to wait for the results.

I find it more difficult than the test itself (I don't care how painful it can get).

I hope everything works out for you! You're in my thoughts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 09:06:02 AM »
My daughters friend had Lymphoma and he had massive weight loss in a short period of time and had
extreme joint pain.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Brooke2288

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 11:32:26 AM »
I am so annoyed!! I called like I was told to and now I'm told that the results won't be in until Thursday!! I understand that tomorrow is Christmas, but I was told they would have them in today. I know they don't see it as a big deal, but to someone with HA, it is NOT what you want to hear! Now I have to think about this over Christmas... :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 11:50:41 AM »
Same here, had very slightly low hemoglobin and rbc in one a month ago, and very slightly high BUN (could be dehydration they tell me), but went to get the retest today, will likely have to wait till Monday for results since the doc wont be in till then, though I am sure they will have the results sooner.  I seem to be one of those folks that gets results from medical tests that don't worry the doctors, but are never perfect so they worry me, ex I had a CAT scan a couple of months ago, it found a liver cyst, a small area of sclerotic bone in an arm bone below the shoulder (probably an old infarct they say, it causes me no symptoms), and a few other things here and there that I already knew about.  Maybe when you are older stuff just turns up that really isn't significant, but it can get my HA going on some days.  In your case, though, the twins are surely the answer, not lymphoma.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brooke2288

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 02:16:53 PM »
Thanks. I know if anything turns out to be abnormal, that it's probably from being pregnant with twins, but I know That I will be freaked out that it is something much worse!  ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline hamsterswheel

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 07:23:52 PM »
Brooke I was the same when pregnant in terms of my ha going wild. I was badly anaemic and I was terrified it was because I had ca underlying.

But as soon as I had my baby my haemaglobin shot up to normal(12) within 4 weeks. It was 7.2 when I was discharged from hospital! It made me realise that my body probably wouldn't have been able to recover so quickly if something like blood ca.

Try to relax.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 10:42:49 AM »
Is this your first pregnancy Brooke?  My daughter is 7 months old and my first.  During my pregnancy I worried about EVERYTHING, and I literally mean everything...and do you know how much of it actually happened?  None.  My iron levels were slightly low during pregnancy and in the few weeks after.  If your levels come back low (anemia) then all you do is take an iron tablet each day.  It is SOOOOO common!

If you had lymphoma, your blood work would have shown it a few months ago I'm sure. 

All the symptoms you describe sound like typical pregnancy symptoms to me.  Plus you've got two little babies in there rather than one :)

I am sure all is just fine :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brooke2288

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 04:19:01 PM »
Yes, this is my first pregnancy. Being my first pregnancy and having twins, it can be stressful at times with all the worrying. I think my anxiety seems to be higher ever since I've been pregnant. It's probably because in the back of my mind I worry about something being wrong with me when I now have two little ones on the way who need me. If my blood work comes back a little off, I'm going to try really hard to believe that it is from my pregnancy, but I know it will be in the back of my head that it is something worse. That is how health anxiety works I guess!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brooke2288

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 11:20:54 AM »
So I got my results back this morning. My thyroid and electrolytes were all normal but with my CBC I have a slightly elevated WBC. This freaked me out a little but the nurse I talked to said that it was only slightly raised and that can be normal with pregnancy, especially with twins. I'm trying really hard to take her word for it and I'm assuming if it was alarmingly high that I would have been told to come back in to retest...anyone have any advice on this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 12:35:53 PM »
don't know about pregnancy effect on wbc but any kind if slight infection like a cold could raise them a bit.   Nothing to be alarmed about if the doc isn't alarmed, wbc can vary from test to test too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hamsterswheel

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 12:48:06 PM »
Brooke

It is 100% normal for WBC to be raised in pregnancy.

My obgyn told me this.

I promise you x
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brooke2288

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 06:05:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'm sure the slightly raised wbc is from the pregnancy but there's always a little worry in the back of my mind all the time. I'm trying to tell myself that if it were lymphoma that it wouldn't be just slightly raised. And the nurse did not say I needed to come back in to do more blood work
Bookmark and Share

Tags: