Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anyone else do this to themselves?  (Read 107 times)

Offline crazymommy

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anyone else do this to themselves?
« on: December 23, 2013, 01:31:16 PM »
So I think the holiday stress comes out as health anxiety for me.  It happens every year and I am learning to see the pattern and try to control it.  I've been managing it all right but today my doctor called. It was simply because the prescription for my antidepressant expired so the pharmacy called them .....They just want me to come in before it's refilled, I think because there's a new doctor and she doesn't want to refill before seeing me herself. But somehow that just gets me going ... I'm nervous about meeting a new doctor, and about explaining my health anxiety without sounding insane. I have a major weight problem , which I am fully aware of and just haven't gotten a hold of yet. But I get worried with a new doctor about not being taken seriously, that i will appear as someone who doesn't care at all about my own health. And then the superstitious part of me is afraid that this visit is the universe trying to make sure I find out that I am very sick with something or other.
Ugh. I know how this all sounds. And I know what I have to do to get in control, guess I just wanted to vent to some people who know what I mean !! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anyone else do this to themselves?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 02:16:06 PM »
If I were a doctor, I wouldn't just replenish your happy pills without seeing you. Antidepressants aren't meant to be used continuosly, they are a therapy like any other drug. You wouldn't ask for new antibiotics and expect to get them without questions, now would you? Never assume.
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion

Offline crazymommy

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 02:53:08 PM »
I guess I wasn't clear - it's not at all that I would expect her to refill without seeing me if that's what needs to be done. I was expressing frustration with myself, that such an entirely reasonable situation is still a trigger for me... That the daily battle against letting my mind  run off to scary things is somehow harder around the holidays.  Just wondered if anyone else has a simar problem this time of year....
Bookmark and Share

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 03:14:56 PM »
Well, this IS the most stressful part of the year so it's no wonder your anxiety is higher than usual. Ever heard of holiday blues? It's real! You should try to think your way through it. Not overthinking symptoms but thinking about how it's all irational and that you worry for no reason. I know how you feel. You got comfortable with your condition and don't know what's outside your comfort zone. But you'll never know if you don't go outside it. Realize that your anxiety is in your head. It gets better if you have the will to get better...
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 04:11:17 PM »
I can definitely empathize with you. Even with my doctor who I have had for years, I feel as though I am not taken seriously because of my anxiety. And sometimes if I don't feel well for whatever reason, I don't even want to go to the doc. because of fear of not being taken seriously. So, no you are not alone :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything