Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: New Job  (Read 72 times)

Offline christa52

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
New Job
« on: December 22, 2013, 04:14:58 PM »
I am 56 years old and have bad anxiety. I get the skipped heart beats a lot and have for most my life. They scare the hell out of me and so I have kept pretty isolated. I was offered a job as a peer counselor and would really like to go back to work but if my heart starts skipping I would leave. I have all the tests for my heart and even studies done and they say my heart is fine. I really wont this job but afraid I will never be able to work again. I have been in therapy most my life which isnt working. I even know they wont kill me but I still have the same reaction, I probably shouldnt even take the job and thats kinda where I am headed.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Christa
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
Re: New Job
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 04:41:57 PM »
I am 57 and have had heart skips off and on for over 30 years. I have fought them the best I can and have been on
Propranolol LA 80mg since I was 50. It helps to an extent, but they still scare the crap out of me when they happen.
I have fought them the best that I can and that is all anyone can ask you to do. I would take the job and maybe take some
medicine which may help you get over the hump of going back to work and any fears you may have.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 202
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New Job
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 09:17:47 PM »
Hi Crista,

I would be my suggestion that you at least TRY and take this job.  Perhaps if you can have a bit of change of mind about the whole thing, it may be just what you need to help keep your mind occupied and think of other things other than what brings on the anxiety for you.  Sure, you may have the first few days at the new job where you get the heart palps, but try to push them aside, knowing it's simply anxiety, and try to go forward!  I know this is all very hard but you may kick yourself later for not trying.  I wish you the best of luck with this new job!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: