Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: need a bit guidance on panic agoraphobia  (Read 216 times)

Offline pauluk46

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
need a bit guidance on panic agoraphobia
« on: December 22, 2013, 05:12:00 AM »
Hi I'm new on here. Need a bit help/advice. . I'm trying to overcome agoraphobia and panic disorder, but currently finding it difficult.  I was doing okay until my cbt therapist decided to totally remove my safety zone by telling me my medication was useless in a panic situation. I've suffered panic attacks since I was 19 and developed agoraphobia when I was 27. 4 years ago I decided I'd had enough and ventured outdoors after 15 years in the house. I've made fantastic progress as I'm living in my own place. For the last 3 months I've lost my confidence since my therapist messed it for me. I've had to resort to tranquilizers and sleeping during the day and as Me through the night. I have dread of stopping breathing and fear of panic and dying. I just don't know w hat to do. I'm concurrently on sertraline and serquol. I'm at my wits end  and don't know how to recover.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: need a bit guidance on panic agoraphobia
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 05:56:06 AM »
Small case of do exactly what you done first time around. I have no idea what your therapist was playing at doing what they done. It was obvious you had made good progress. But that should show you that it can be done. You know it can be done. So we start all over again. I had to do this before too. After a major setback. Was like all the good work I had was lost. But I simply wasn't going to give in. I knew it wouldn't be easy. To begin all over again. Take those baby steps all over again. Build things up from the ground. A good place to look for breathing exercises in you tube. They have loads of good videos. It is impossible to stop breathing. I know you may think it is going to happen. It may feel that way. At worst you will hold your own breath. Try work on that aspect of things first. Using the videos on you tube. Learn how to breathe in the right way. Then put it into practice. Maybe head out to the front of where you live. That is not too far from home. Start off with just a few minutes. Using what you have learned. Then build it back up slowly. Walks around the area where you live. Going that bit further each time. If your medication is working for you then don't let anybody get in the way of it. That was the one mistake your old therapist made. I can understand the taken away of the safety zone aspect. That was to try and make you go further than you had before. It was the medication approach that was wrong. New therapist. Explaining what the old therapist done and how it effected you. Like most things in life there and good bad of everything. That includes therapists as well. Just believe in yourself. Like you had been doing before this setback. You can get back to doing good again.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline pauluk46

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: need a bit guidance on panic agoraphobia
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
Thanks for your reply. Your right in your comments I was hoping everything would go back to normal but it didn't. It's just hard to start all over again but I must do it as I cannot be trapped again. I've just lost my confidence so need to build it up. I think the more I avoid the more my anxiety and panic will stay with me. As I learned in the past it does get easier. I will give it a go
Bookmark and Share

Tags: