Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Naegleria fowleri  (Read 258 times)

Offline forge1337

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Naegleria fowleri
« on: December 21, 2013, 09:45:23 PM »
I had the worst case of a runny nose last night and decided to search the web for some quick solutions for my problem as I had no Nasal Spray at home for that moment. I found a forum which recommended varm water and salt to clean your nose. I have no Neti Pot and decided to snort water from my palm, two snorts in the same nostril to be exact. Both were pretty small doses. It didn't do much of a difference so I decided to google it some more. That's when I found out about Naegleria fowleri and that you should boil the water before using it to clean your nose. It's almost 24 hours since then but I can't let go of the thoughts that I might be infected. I live in Sweden and I live in a city. Used tapwater.

So freaked out of my mind right now and can't sleep...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Naegleria fowleri
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 06:42:41 AM »
I have stated in this section before that there has only been less than 25 deaths from this since the 60's. Work that out yourself. That is like 2 a year. Take the population of your country. You think you are going to be one of the two people this year? I think you have more chance of winning the lottery.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline forge1337

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 06:52:29 AM »
You're right. My chances are so small, but my mind can't shake the feeling that I might turn out to be one of the few unlucky ones.
Bookmark and Share

Offline karachondria

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Hi. I'm a teenage hypochondriac. I'm here to help💕
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 10:48:18 AM »
water has to be forced right up the nose to the area between your eyes. N fowleri is my worst fear too so I'm not logical with this but 2 people have died using tap water and they lived in the same state at the other side of the world to you. I have never heard of it in Swedish tap water. Watch how much you worry about it mind because anxiety can mimic symptoms. Lost sense of smell is the first symptom. But that happens to me all the time so it's not really a big deal you might just have a blocked up nose. You also live in a city? Okay people in that city have obviously swirled water in their nose with a neti pot or hands or anything and just walked off and never googled anything and they're fine. People all over the world swirl water in their noses every day probably every hour someone will swirl water in their nose and those people don't google it and they're fine. I heard about one person who had hosepipe water forced up their nose. They had a bad headache Burt hey re fine now years later. They didn't get naegleria. Even a headache is more likely to be anything but naegleria. A headache is more likely to be a rare brain tumour than naegleria that's how rare it is, majority of the world don't know what it is. I'm petrified of naegleria really. You can always ask me if you need help
Bookmark and Share

Offline forge1337

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 11:15:45 AM »
water has to be forced right up the nose to the area between your eyes. N fowleri is my worst fear too so I'm not logical with this but 2 people have died using tap water and they lived in the same state at the other side of the world to you. I have never heard of it in Swedish tap water. Watch how much you worry about it mind because anxiety can mimic symptoms. Lost sense of smell is the first symptom. But that happens to me all the time so it's not really a big deal you might just have a blocked up nose. You also live in a city? Okay people in that city have obviously swirled water in their nose with a neti pot or hands or anything and just walked off and never googled anything and they're fine. People all over the world swirl water in their noses every day probably every hour someone will swirl water in their nose and those people don't google it and they're fine. I heard about one person who had hosepipe water forced up their nose. They had a bad headache Burt hey re fine now years later. They didn't get naegleria. Even a headache is more likely to be anything but naegleria. A headache is more likely to be a rare brain tumour than naegleria that's how rare it is, majority of the world don't know what it is. I'm petrified of naegleria really. You can always ask me if you need help

Your post calmed me down alot. Especially since I was really having trouble snorting it since my nostrils were blocked bigtime. Even if some of it got that high up it would still be a very small amount and to my understanding it has to be a certain amount of water for the chance to become higher. Still I would lie if I said that I don't continue counting the days checking for symptoms. Damn Hypochondria...
Bookmark and Share

Offline karachondria

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Hi. I'm a teenage hypochondriac. I'm here to help💕
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 12:55:06 PM »
I check for symptoms daily, I always will and I also check news for N fowleri, it's a very sad fear to have. Symptoms start 1-7 days after exposure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline forge1337

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
Almost 5 days now. Have lighter headaches for a couple of seconds in waves, also dizziness. Feeling like I'm about to puke sometimes. Tummy aches every now and then. Lack of energy almost all day, though that may be because i haven't slept more than a couple of hours every night since I read about this. Still kinda scared..
Bookmark and Share

Offline forge1337

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 06:54:45 PM »
Day 6 soon. Still same problems as yesterday. I suppose things are in my favour when my symptoms haven't gotten worse. Though I am mentally and physically exhausted thinking about this almost all the time all day. I have no one to talk to since my family and friends just push it away saying that it's nothing.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: