Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: My issue, brain fog.. Can't figure this out.  (Read 3735 times)

Offline azmattaz06

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My issue, brain fog.. Can't figure this out.
« on: December 21, 2013, 04:56:17 PM »
So I'm going to explain my whole situation so maybe someone can help a bit, back in august my anxiety started because I had stopped taking lexapro for about a month, after it came back I started lexapro again to no avail, looked like it has pooped out on me, during this situation my father had an emergency and passed away. It's been a rough few months, so my doc suggested upping lexapro to 15mg which I did and not long after I started feeling spacey, can't focus, foggy.. Lost interest in everything, I figured it was from upping the lexapro so not long after my doc wanted me to switch meds to Luvox. I stopped taking lexapro pretty sudden waited about two weeks taking nothing before I switched, the fog and focus got worse, I'm about three weeks on Luvox and still no change to my focus and concentration, I feel like I damaged my brain and I'm stuck like this or something, my doc recently told me to stop taking Ativan and see how I feel, well that was three days ago and I still feel terrible.. Idk what to do I need an explanation otherwise I'm freaking out.. It's almost so bad that it has overcome my anxiety, my mom said she don't know what to tell me.. Maybe blood work? Idk I'm scared I want to feel normal so I can function. If anyone has suggestions or been through similar please let me know I feel very alone.  Thanks  -matt
Bookmark and Share

Offline LynnC

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: My issue, brain fog.. Can't figure this out.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 06:40:17 PM »
Matt I have this same brain fog and spaciness and I'm not sure what to do. I had really and anxiety in August (dizziness started then) and it developed into severe depression by October.  I continued to have the dizziness and brain fog and started lexapro in November. It's been 7 weeks now and I still suffer...not sure what to do since it's hard to function. I said the same thing about being scared that my brain is damaged.
Bookmark and Share

Offline azmattaz06

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 06:52:30 PM »
Yeah idk what to do.. I try hard to push through and do normal things but it's extremely hard I need to figure this out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sportygirl1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 06:54:04 PM »
Any doctor that tells you to instantly stop a med is wrong. I'm not sure how to help you, but quitting any med, especially benzo's and SSRI's like you are on will screw with your brain chemistry. I went though cold turkey benzo withdrawal earlier this year and haven't fully recovered. My anxiety, dizziness, and general wellness was awful for a long time. If I had to guess, and this is only a guess, is that your brain is trying to get itself right again after stopping and starting those meds. Hang in there. Try exercising. It's the only thing that's saving me right now.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 88
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
back in august my anxiety started because I had stopped taking lexapro for about a month, after it came back I started lexapro again to no avail, looked like it has pooped out on me, during this situation my father had an emergency and passed away.

My condolences on your loss, Matt.

Unfortunately, there is growing evidence that antidepressants become progressively less effective every time they are stopped and restarted, requiring higher doses to achieve the previous level of control. They may also produce more severe, and sometimes different, initial side-effects. According to one study the odds of antidepressants working after each restart drops by nearly 20%. Note that this applies to all antidepressants, not just the one/s you've taken in the past. 

It's been a rough few months, so my doc suggested upping lexapro to 15mg which I did and not long after I started feeling spacey, can't focus, foggy.. Lost interest in everything, I figured it was from upping the lexapro

It is relatively common for antidepressants to cause such side-effects for a few weeks when the dose is increased. They are mostly symptoms of anxiety which increases for a while because of the additional serotonin activity.

so not long after my doc wanted me to switch meds to Luvox. I stopped taking lexapro pretty sudden waited about two weeks taking nothing before I switched, the fog and focus got worse, I'm about three weeks on Luvox and still no change to my focus and concentration,

There was no need to wean off the Lexapro before switching to Luvox. In most cases you can switch from one SSRI to another overnight. Stopping just aggravated the anxiety which is what is driving the fogginess and lack of concentration.

I feel like I damaged my brain and I'm stuck like this or something,

No, antidepressants do not harm the brain, they in fact repair the damage to brain cells caused by chronic stress hormone exposure. Anxiety and depression are the result of this damage. See: Depression, antidepressants, and the shrinking hippocampus

my doc recently told me to stop taking Ativan and see how I feel, well that was three days ago and I still feel terrible..

Bad advise. Your problem is that your anxiety/stress levels are through the roof, partly because of the continual change in medication and partly because your father passed away.  Depending on how you take Ativan, you could also be suffering withdrawal effects.

Idk what to do I need an explanation otherwise I'm freaking out..

You need to get the anxiety back under control. This is going to take time as antidepressants take some weeks to kick-in. What is your current Luvox dose and how long have you been at that dose?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 07:27:39 PM »
I continued to have the dizziness and brain fog and started lexapro in November. It's been 7 weeks now and I still suffer...not sure what to do since it's hard to function.

What dose are you on, and how long have you been taking it?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline LynnC

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 06:46:57 PM »
I'm on 7.5mg right now. 7 weeks in but I've worked my way up to this level. I switched over to the liquid version last week for 6 days and fell off the rails (depression and anxiety came back/crying/no appetite/sleeping issues). Now I'm back to the pills but I feel I'm back in the pits of depression again. I didn't think the liquid would be any different but maybe my body metabolizes it differently? I'm very dizzy too but this was present before lexapro...just doubled the intensity now. It would come and go before but now it's 24/7. Not sure if it's anxiety or not but I was hoping it would lesson in time with the lexapro. I probably need to take 10mg soon.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 07:13:08 PM »
I'm on 7.5mg right now. 7 weeks in but I've worked my way up to this level.

Are you on Lexapro or Luvox, and if it's Luvox are you really only on 7.5mg or is it 75mg?

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline azmattaz06

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 09:12:17 PM »
My dosage of Luvox recently changed it was 50MG and my doc said up it to 100MG and I just started that today, I understand you might correct with a lot of this.. I've been on the 60mg of Luvox for about three weeks I haven't felt a difference but I know it might take more time.  I'm hoping it eventually fades away but it'd hard dealing with it right now.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 10:46:59 PM »
I've been on the 60mg of Luvox for about three weeks I haven't felt a difference but I know it might take more time.

It typically takes 3-12 weeks for an antidepressant to kick-in, so you have a way to go and you'll probably need to take 100-150mg for good results. As Luvox has a very short half-life, around 12-13 hours, it is best taken in 2 divided doses about 12 hours apart unless you're switched to the extended release formulation.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline azmattaz06

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 04:49:57 AM »
Ok I'm gonna start taking 50mg when I wake up and 50mg when I go to bed, I hope and pray this is my issue.. Anxiety/stress/meds. I just need to know it's not forever and it'll eventually fade.. Scary stuff.. Should I tell my doc anything?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 06:35:04 AM »
Should I tell my doc anything?

You should let your doctor know how you're taking it as it may influence decisions on other meds you may need to take in the future.

A couple of other things to be aware of are that Luvox greatly increases the effects of caffeine, one cup of coffee or can of cola could give you the buzz of 3 or 4 and it will last a lot longer too (caffeine is best avoided anyway as it increases anxiety). OTOH, smoking will accelerate the rate at which Luvox is metabolized by up to 50% so you get less response from the med (nicotine and anxiety are also not a good mix). And it has a greater potential for interaction with other medications (including the non prescription ones) and herbal supplements than other SSRIs so don't take anything without getting the okay from your doctor or pharmacist first, though the usual non prescription painkillers are okay, however, as with all antidepressants that act on serotonin it can reduce blood clotting slightly, so it is best to avoid the blood thinning painkillers such as aspirin and take acetaminophen, aka paracetamol, whenever possible.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline azmattaz06

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 02:29:28 AM »
i do drink a bit of soda daily but i never really noticed any extra anxiety with it, i can try less though. I don't smoke so that's good and i have taken a bit of acetaminophen lately because of the headaches i get with Luvox, I'm starting to take one Luvox 50MG before bed and one when i wake up hopefully that helps, im starting to think this feeling has a lot to do with anxiety also but i have that feeling that luvox isn't going to work just because lexapro didn't but i hope i'm wrong. Thanks for all the info it's really put my mind at ease a little bit, when i start feeling really bad i can read this over and get a boost of confidence that it's not forever.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 06:10:47 AM »
i have that feeling that luvox isn't going to work just because lexapro didn't but i hope i'm wrong

They are radically different SSRIs, in fact they'd be the two most different SSRIs so the Lexapro failure is likely to be the least reliable guide to the Luvox outcome.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline azmattaz06

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 09:48:34 PM »
Alright that's good to know, since it's been about 20 days on 50mg and like three on 100MG I'm thinking a few weeks before I possibly start to feel the Luvox.. I'm curious if I should take the Ativan again as needed, I've had a few bad times I wish I could have taken some.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: