Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Asked chemist about Mirtazapine  (Read 275 times)

Offline Daxter

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Asked chemist about Mirtazapine
« on: December 21, 2013, 02:48:45 PM »
I just spoke to my chemist today about the antidepressant I'm on, Mirtazapine/Remeron. I told him my main symptom - a horrid, burning throat if I eat or drink ANYTHING, even milk - has died down a little since starting the tablet, and it came back when I forgot to take the drug for 2 nights in a row. He said the drug has a hand in curing acid reflux.

When my chemist mentioned that info to me, I felt horribly depressed. I thought my symptoms might have been to do with stress - and therefore might have been curable in a way - but hearing such information made me feel like I've been artificially hiding my symptoms instead of improving them. Then I started "Googling" in my confusion (I know, I know..!) and kept finding things saying "GERD/LPR is for life" and "Stress cannot cause reflux." It's making the world around me get darker and darker, and I'm struggling to put on a better face in front of my family, who don't believe I'm suffering at all.

I was wondering if stress really can CAUSE reflux symptoms, not just worsen them, especially one as bad as a burning throat. And if it can, are there any success stories of people who no longer need drugs, special diets etc? I'm just not strong enough to live a life on drugs and a loss of my quality of life, so I'm really grasping at straws here, but any help you can offer would be much appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
Re: Asked chemist about Mirtazapine
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 03:54:15 PM »
I take it your chemist is your psych doctor.  I'd rather call my psych doctor, a psych doctor.  If I were to call him a chemist, he sounds as if he's performing experimental lab tests on me, so I would stick to psych doctor, because he's a doctor taking care of my health, not a chemist breaking out the beakers and the lab potions.  Just my opinion.

I just spoke to my chemist today about the antidepressant I'm on, Mirtazapine/Remeron. I told him my main symptom - a horrid, burning throat if I eat or drink ANYTHING, even milk - has died down a little since starting the tablet, and it came back when I forgot to take the drug for 2 nights in a row. He said the drug has a hand in curing acid reflux.

Yes, mirtazapine (Remerom) is an antidepressant.  It's meant to alleviate anxiety, and when you get a a case of the butterflies, you're experiencing anxiety within your stomach.  So what your psych doctor said is a good thing.  If you stop taking the medication after two days (48 hours), especially since Remeron has a half life of 20-40 hours which is less than 48 hours, your body will notice the difference.  The throat symptoms you feel are indicating to you that your body needs the medication.

I was wondering if stress really can CAUSE reflux symptoms, not just worsen them, especially one as bad as a burning throat. And if it can, are there any success stories of people who no longer need drugs, special diets etc? I'm just not strong enough to live a life on drugs and a loss of my quality of life, so I'm really grasping at straws here, but any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

Yes, psychological stress can cause problems with the digestive system, which relates to acid reflux symptoms or even a burning throat.  Also stress causes that flight or fight response that makes you want to run, when you perceive danger.  Likewise a continued focus on stressful thoughts will make you paranoid and scared of life, unless you get psychological help and possibly use psychiatric medications, depending on the degree the prolonged stress has impacted your brain.

Can you function without medications to cure this?  Some people without an anxiety disorder can, however those with an anxiety disorder, particularly those who have a strong fear of health problems, will need to be on medication.

Taking meds is not a life sentence, btw. By taking antidepressant medication, you make it sound like you've been dumped in a cell, and the jailer threw away the key.   You are not in a prison, except your mind may think otherwise.  Anxiety disorder sufferers have a valid medical problem with their brain, and need medication to manage it.  So that's why you, like other anxiety disorder sufferers, need to take antidepressant pills.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 04:14:51 PM »
I take it your chemist is your psych doctor.

No, chemist = pharmacist in Britain and many of its former colonies.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 04:37:37 PM »
I was wondering if stress really can CAUSE reflux symptoms, not just worsen them, especially one as bad as a burning throat.

Yes. You need to understand that the gastro-intestinal tract has its own mini brain, the enteric nervous system (ENS), which controls all activity. This is linked directly the the main brain via the vagal nerves and it seems that the ENS has a much greater influence on the brain than is influenced by it, i.e. the tail wags the dog. Antidepressants affect it as readily as they do the brain.

And if it can, are there any success stories of people who no longer need drugs, special diets etc?

You should ask that question in forums dedicated to GI tract issues, but my, albeit limited, understanding is that while most respond well to treatment, cures are much harder to come by, which is also the case with anxiety disorders.

I'm just not strong enough to live a life on drugs and a loss of my quality of life, so I'm really grasping at straws here, but any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

What do you find difficult about being on drugs generally, and antidepressants specifically?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 05:51:39 PM »
I take it your chemist is your psych doctor.

No, chemist = pharmacist in Britain and many of its former colonies.

Ian

Sorry Daxter.  I'm an American, and we call health care professionals who dispense medications, as pharmacists.  Our use of the term chemist does not relate to persons working in drug stores, instead it refers to individuals, educated as scientists, who perform independent lab studies.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline Daxter

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »
I was wondering if stress really can CAUSE reflux symptoms, not just worsen them, especially one as bad as a burning throat.

Yes. You need to understand that the gastro-intestinal tract has its own mini brain, the enteric nervous system (ENS), which controls all activity. This is linked directly the the main brain via the vagal nerves and it seems that the ENS has a much greater influence on the brain than is influenced by it, i.e. the tail wags the dog. Antidepressants affect it as readily as they do the brain.

And if it can, are there any success stories of people who no longer need drugs, special diets etc?

You should ask that question in forums dedicated to GI tract issues, but my, albeit limited, understanding is that while most respond well to treatment, cures are much harder to come by, which is also the case with anxiety disorders.

I'm just not strong enough to live a life on drugs and a loss of my quality of life, so I'm really grasping at straws here, but any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

What do you find difficult about being on drugs generally, and antidepressants specifically?

Ian

Thank you everyone for your responses thus far. Ian, to answer your last question I've grown up seeing the worst side of drugs around me, both good and bad. Family members who have been through the worst possible diseases often end up on drugs for life to keep it all away, but not really cure it. I don't want to be one of those people - being a self-admitted Hypochondriac, the one thing in life I fear above all else is having a lifelong or incurable illness. I look back on the time before I had these symptoms, and I realise I took eating, drinking and activities for granted. It felt normal to me to slip a pizza in the oven, or buy chocolate when I felt unhappy about something. I long to have my old life back; I couldn't bear the thought of losing all enjoyment in life now, especially since I'm only 22.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 04:36:10 PM »
the one thing in life I fear above all else is having a lifelong or incurable illness

Unfortunately, anxiety disorders are often chronic conditions that wax and wane, but never go away though longish remissions are possible. Treating it with antidepressants won't make it worse or any more incurable, but may give you a far better quality of life. Another option is the online FearFighter program which is based on CBT and is free through most NHS Trusts. Your doctor will be able to prescribe this for you. There is also a version for depression which I suspect you also have.

I long to have my old life back; I couldn't bear the thought of losing all enjoyment in life now, especially since I'm only 22.

Longing for it won't get it for you, you need to actively work at it and I suggest you start by explaining your situation to your doctor asap. These conditions need to be tackled early for best results.

Ian

Bookmark and Share

Tags: