Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Sudden debilitating brain fears--post MRI! I need some advice  (Read 198 times)

Offline Andrea24

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Sudden debilitating brain fears--post MRI! I need some advice
« on: December 21, 2013, 09:33:20 AM »
I really, really need some advice right now--or reassurance--because my HA is out of control at the moment.  I had an MRI last weekend (at the recommendation of my neurologist because I was having increasingly severe and frequent headaches--although she suspected the headaches were stress related).  A few days later, the nurse called to tell me that the results showed nothing to be worried about.  She didn't actually say the results were normal--only nothing to worry about.  I'm not sure what that means. I do not feel reassured by my results.   The MRI was without contrast; and over the past few days, the headaches have gotten worse.  In addition, the headaches tend to center more on one spot now and I have neck pains--the pain has woke me up from my already restless sleep.  OTC painkillers do not help.  At this point, I am terrified that something was missed on the MRI because it was without contrast--and I'm trying very hard to resist going to the emergency room for additional, more thorough testing. I feel so defeated because I had been managing my HA for a couple weeks and now I got completely derailed. 
Just as a side note, the only outside change in my life during this time has been my medication. 4 days ago, I increased my Prozac dose by 5 mg.  Should I go to the ER? 
Bookmark and Share
~I have found intelligence and success to be hazardous~

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sudden debilitating brain fears--post MRI! I need some advice
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 11:28:04 AM »
the nurse called to tell me that the results showed nothing to be worried about. I'm not sure what that means.

How about that there's nothing to worry about? Just a thought. ;D There's something you got to understand. The results of exams vary from person to person. And there are not only good or bad results, there is a bunch of results inbetween that are acceptable. So if she said that you have nothing to worry about, I'd say you're in the clear. Maybe you have a stress headache so your anxiety is making it a lot worse. Maybe you slept in a weird position so your neck hurts. Maybe it's nothing. Of course, you could say that maybe it's a tumor. But it's not a toomah! MRI said so.

But let me tell you about my experience that reminded me of yours. I once had a sinus inflammation which spread to my ear. Pain started in my maxillary sinus (just on the side of the nose) and then to my frontal sinus (above the eyes) and then to my ear, neck and even shoulder. My doctor laughed at me and said that how can it be a sinus and ear infection that make my shoulder hurt. Well, I got some antibiotics and it stopped after I had finished them. Joke's on her! And the pain was so intense that it woke me up from a deep sleep. I have experience with sinus inflammations so I knew that this pain was nothing to worry about so my sleep was pretty deep. So maybe it's an inflammation of some sort. MRI doesn't pick up on that as far as I know. MRI is not a universal scanner like many people like to think so. It would detect a tumor or lack of electric charge or a broken bone.

And then there is the stress headache...
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion

Offline Andrea24

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 03:49:21 PM »
Thanks Overthinking!I've just got to remember that it is nothing to worry about.  Because I have never had these kinds of headaches they are scary.  I know that MRIs can't catch everything--even with contrast--(maybe that knowledge contributes to my fears in some ways).  Regardless, I will try to hang in there and just deal with the symptoms. 
Bookmark and Share
~I have found intelligence and success to be hazardous~

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 06:21:30 PM »
Well, it seems that I was wrong. MRI DOES detect inflammations. Here's what wikipedia says:

Contrast agents may be injected intravenously to enhance the appearance of blood vessels, tumors or inflammation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics_of_magnetic_resonance_imaging

Therefore, it surely is not an inflammation. However! Wikipedia also has something to say about your prozac! Read it, you might give it up afterwards... Check out what's the first thing on the list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoxetine#Adverse_effects

I cannot imagine a situation in which I would take prozac. Maybe if anxiety stopped me from doing everyday tasks such as leaving the bed and going to the bathroom. Your body is designed to heal itself and especially the brain which is the most complex organ of the human body. Sure, the body sometimes needs help in healing itself but taking prozac is not. Prozac is a temporary measure and you should try to heal yourself with the power of the mind and with the help of some friends.  When you are happy, this is a result of your body secreting  neurotransmitters serotonin, dopamin and oxytocin. Hanging out with friends increases this. And you feel how your brain feels! Sure, prozac also makes this happen. But artificially. And then your body gets used to not secreting those neurotransmitters without the help of prozac and then you are stuck on prozac! Why would someone do this on purpose? Psychiatrists know sh** and they love to prescribe prozac, xanax, diazepam and the works. Would it not be better if they told you what I just did instead of giving you happy pills? It's even worse if another kind of doctor gave you those, god forbid your family physician...
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion