Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Getting off paxil  (Read 237 times)

Offline DeLellis123

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Getting off paxil
« on: December 20, 2013, 09:41:38 PM »
I'm gonna wean off the paxil after I see my doctor on Monday and discuss it with her. I've been on 20mg for 2 months, the first month I was on 10 mg. think it'll go smooth? I just don't like the way it's makin me feel, makes me so lethargic and crappy feeling. I got off effexor after being on it for 6 years with no problems so hopefully this will go smooth.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Getting off paxil
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 09:52:43 PM »
I'm gonna wean off the paxil after I see my doctor on Monday and discuss it with her. I've been on 20mg for 2 months, the first month I was on 10 mg. think it'll go smooth?

If Effexor wasn't hard to quit then Paxil may not cause you many problems either.
Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Starlys80

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 10:35:46 PM »
Good luck to you! I've been trying to get off Paxil for years, it's very difficult. Paxil and Effexor are the worst to withdraw from and if you were able to get Effexor with little trouble then hopefully it will be the same with Paxil.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 11:04:54 PM »
How long were you on the paxil starlys? And what mg were you on if you don't mind me asking.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 05:49:18 AM »
How long were you on the paxil starlys? And what mg were you on if you don't mind me asking.

Keep in mind that a) you've only been on it for 2 months, and b) that withdrawal is as much about psychology as chemistry. Convince yourself you will suffer and your mind may deliver the full nightmare.

There are protocols for withdrawing from long term Paxil and Effexor use which usually minimize the discomfort, but unfortunately some won't try them.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 12:52:45 AM »
What kind of protocols?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 01:26:44 AM »
What kind of protocols?

They centre on switching to Prozac (fluoxetine) and weaning of it. Prozac has a very long half-life, around 4-6 days plus another ~16 days for its active metabolite, compared to 15-21 hours for Paxil whose active metabolites are too weak to have any therapeutic effect. The long half-life smooths out the highs and lows, especially at the lower doses and makes it essentially self-tapering.

However, as you've only been on a therapeutic dose of Paxil for a month you almost certainly won't need to worry about this.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Starlys80

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 01:43:17 AM »

I've been on Paxil for almost 16 years. My highest dose was 40mg and over the years I have slowly reduced it to 6.4mg. You have been on it a short time so you will probably have a much easier time than I have, and will most likely be able to taper off of it directly.

As for the Prozac switch, it is not a guarantee by any means. I have seen many try it and it made them much worse. Prozac is very activating and if anxiety is your issue it can be a big problem. Plus, it's not like Prozac has an easy WD either. I have seen many people struggle to get Prozac as well. Everyone is different in how they react to these drugs and how much difficulty they have getting off them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 12:19:03 AM »
Just seen my psych our taper plan is below

15 mg for 2 to 3 weeks
10 mg for 2 to 3 weeks
5 mg for 2 to 3 weeks
Wait a week or two switch back to effexor 37.5 ride that roller coaster startup with the help of klonopin, then once stabilized, start getting healthier getting out more then slowly decreasing the klonopin dosage.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: