Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Please help me. Think I have MS. I need an mri or I am going to go crazy.  (Read 340 times)

Offline gibzster

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hello. My name is Gabby.  If you do not have time to read all of this, the important stuff is in red.   Sorry if my grammer is bad, I am panicking as we speak. I have had like 5 panic attacks in the past couple of days alone.

For the past 6 months I have been freaking about every little thing that comes around. . . I am so tired.
Here is a little background: I am 15 years old and very depressed. I don't have any friends and I hate my life.
I stress about everything: little things, big things, and things that don't even exist.

6 months ago (june 2013) my arm started hurting.  I proably had a pinched nerve or something. But my aching neck and arm also caused my upper left chest breast to hurt. Since by breast was hurting, I was convinced that I had breast cancer. I decided to give myself a breast exam to check for lumps. I SWEAR I thought I felt one. I worried about it for 2.5 weeks straight. Then the pain finally went away. It turns out that what I felt was muscle and not a lump.

A month later, I became convinced that I had a brain tumor. My head had been hurting for 3 days straight. I did not have a tumor in the end, but that did not stop me from worrying constantly for about a week.

2 weeks after that, I saw an ad for lukemia symptoms. It said that one of the symptoms was itching all over. An hour after veiwing that ad, I started itching all over. I was convinced I had it.  The itching went away eventually, but I spent hours on the internet searching the symptoms for brain tumor.

2 weeks later my head started hurting again. After worrying and searching on the internet continuously for months, I insisted that my mom take me to the ER. They gave me a catscan. No tumor. I was so relieved. I felt stupid in a way.

A month later I started to see a lot of afterimages. I had already been diagnosed with a slight astigmatism a year earlier. I also THOUGHT I was seeing flashes of light. I live with my grandmother who frequently sees flashes of light which is where i first learned about this eye problem. I went to the eye doctor 3 times in 2 weeks. I got tested for glaucoma, which runs in my family. Thank God I didn't have it. I thought that maybe my doctor was stupid and that I had a detached retina or something. So I went to another eye no In the end the doctor ASSURED me that there was nothing wrong with my eyes and that I was just overly aware of my vision.

This pattern of thinking I had a serious mental problem went on for months. It just recently got EVEN worse a month ago.

2 weeks ago, I had this small spot on my scalp that was tingling. I (mistakenly) decided to look it up on the internet. Everything that I read talked about tingling ALL OVER the body. 20 mins later, I started tingling all over my body. Over the next week, I felt tingles and pricks on random spots on my body- never at the same spot at the same time. Sometimes it would feel like there was a bug inside of my skin that was buzzing. Also over the next week - I constantly worried about why this was happening.  I spent SO MANY HOURS on the internet looking up causes. EVERY WEBSITE I GO TO SAYS MS. MS MS MS.
Finally, after a week of worrying myself to death, I begged my grandomother to take me to the ER. They took my blood work and told me everything was ok with that. I also thought that I may have had diabetes (which also runs in my family). I am glad i didn't have that.  They told me that I had anxiety and gave me anxiety medication- which made me very sleepy.

MS cant truly be diagnosed with blood work. I already knew this b4 i went. I WANTED AN MRI. If they had given me an MRI, this would all be over (or maybe not).  I know MRIs are expensive, but I REALLY NEED ONE. To continue. . . .

A couple of days after I left the hospital, the tingling stopped.. . . but then something else started. My legs started hurting. It is not really a muscular hurt. It only starts to hurt when I stand in one position for a period of time. The pain shoots up the center of my foot and through my lower leg. It only hurts in one leg at a time and alternates daily. My left leg was first, and my right leg was the next day and so on. . . The pain usually happens at night or in the evening.  The pain will completely stop if I get into a bathtub of hot water. I have taken 3 SMOKING HOT baths today.

Yesterday evening I started having very small muscle twitches at random spots all over my body.   Today, one spot was particularly active - my thigh. The same spot continuously twitched for like 5 mintues. I googled muscle twitches and guess what pops up: ALS. thanks a lot Google.

Ok - so I don't think I have ALS. I hope I don't. MS is the one that has been in the back of my mind continuously for the last 2 weeks.  I don't want MS. So I am going back to the hosiptal tommorow. I am going to demand an MRI and I won't leave until they give me one.  If I were to have an MRI and have everything come back OK, I know I will be fine. I'll be able to go on with my life.

Do you think I have MS?

MS SYMOTOMS:
Symptoms of MS

Blurred or double vision  - I have had none of this.
Thinking problems - not really. besides thinking I am going to die.
Clumsiness or a lack of coordination - nope.
Loss of balance - nope. I can stand on one leg and pull the other one up behind me with my hand.
Numbness - I have had none of this.
Tingling - I had a lot of this for one week.
Weakness in an arm or leg. - I haven't really had weakness, but I have had pain.
abnormal sensations - tingling, pins
bladder problems - nope. none at all.
difficulty walking - nope. not really.
dizziness - none at all.
fatigue - I usually get tired at the end of the day anyway, so i dont know if I have fatigue or not.
sexual difficulties - n/a
speech problems - nope
thinking problems - nope
tremors - yes.
vision problems - my eye did hurt a couple of months ago for a few days
vision loss - nope.
pain in parts of body - yes.
electric shock sensations - not rally.
gait - no
slurred speech - no
heat sensitivity - NO!!! The heat makes it better!!!
cold sensitivity- NO!!!! Extreme cold (outside) also makes it better!!!

I think my health anxiety stems from my EXTREME, IRRATIONAL fear of death. I do not want to die. If I could live forever, I would. I want to live as LONG AS possible.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marbles88

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please help me. Think I have MS. I need an mri or I am going to go crazy.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 08:40:02 PM »
You don't have MS. It is totally uncommon in someone your age. Sorry you have to go through this. I thought I had MS once (when I was 30 years old). It scared me so much. I, too, was convinced that I had to get an MRI. Thankfully, I am married a physician who knows what MS looks like and he assured me I was okay. I didn't end up getting an MRI and my symptoms (which included eye pain and slight vision loss) went away. I did get an eye exam, and that doctor, too, told me I was fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 08:42:13 PM »
Oh honey... I don't even know where to start.  I wish I could give you a hug because I know exactly how you feel.  You seriously need to get your anxiety under control in a major way.  It's so unhealthy to live like this not to mention you're wasting your life in fear (right, I'm one to talk).  I've been doing a lot better with this type of thinking since getting on Prozac - I feel like I'm the person I'm supposed to be.

I can relate to many of your symptoms.  For almost 6 months, I had unexplained muscle pains and aches in different places.  It started with my right shoulder blade all the way down my entire arm - my muscles would get EXTREMELY tight and hurt with the slightest repetitive activity.  I also started having the same type of sensation down the back of my right thigh whenever I walked.  I was terrified.  I also saw occasional flashes of light or specks like you're about to pass out and had tingling in my left foot that would come and go.  I swore I had MS or some other horrible disease.  I wanted a full body MRI but of course no doctor or insurance will authorize that without a major diagnosis b/c it's crazy expensive.  My doctor sent me for physical therapy for the muscle stuff which helped some, but honestly it wasn't until I got my anxiety under control that all my symptoms went away.  Even when I first started Prozac, before it really kicked in, I started feeling better simply because I knew I was doing something for my anxiety.  I am 100% sure that all of those things were anxiety related.  I'm telling you all this to show you that this kind of thinking spirals you down a horrible road and skews your thinking so much that you don't know what's right anymore.  It's scary.  I am so, so, so, so, so sure you are completely fine and just suffer from a really nasty case of anxiety.  PLEASE, PLEASE try to get that under control.  It's no way to live and you may find you start feeling better.
Bookmark and Share
Sokka: "Do you want me to be like you or be totally honest?"
Katara: "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
Sokka: "No, I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing really."
(This is me and my husband to a tee)

Offline Air Nomad

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 08:46:03 PM »
Oh also, the only thing that helped my muscle issues too were hot baths.  Scented epsom salt baths are great for relaxing and help your muscles.  And as a side note, my doctor also believed my symptoms were anxiety related.
Bookmark and Share
Sokka: "Do you want me to be like you or be totally honest?"
Katara: "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
Sokka: "No, I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing really."
(This is me and my husband to a tee)

Offline CrazyQuacker75

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Hi Gabby
I'm not an expert on this but it just sounds like your body is really tense right now. I had an MS/ALS scare not to long ago. It started when my thumb was twitching. Eventually the twitching went away but I had some pain in that arm that would occur off and on, I would massage the arm, stretch, and take a pain reliever and would be fine till the effects wore off. I also started to experience  fatigue through out the body, twitching through out the body, when I would wake up my left arm would be really weak and numb, my face would also be numb, about four times when I would wake up my body would have internal tremors for about 15 mins (this was the only thing my Doc was generally concerned about), and I had "brain fog" or depersonalization. I went to my doctor, he thought it was three things, first was Anemia which with your clean blood test can be ruled out as it was for me, second was over exertion because I worked out 5 days a week for six months with out taking a break(this was the initial cause of the twitching thumb), and 3rd and the one he believed was the real culprit was ANXIETY :yes:. It was a tough pill to swallow but I realized my onset of symptoms came after reading many things found on google. I stopped googling and relaxed and every day things started to get better and better. I found the thing that helped me the most was stretching and massaging the muscles :yes:, and try not to google!  :angry-smiley-034:
I hope what I said was relevant and helpful, if not I apologize. It also seems like things are coming and going which I think is a good sign . Have a great evening and I hope you start to feel better!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
In the race against myself

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 06:48:34 AM »
Hey, Gabby, from one overthinker to the next - stop overthinking stuff that hurt you!

To continue, I see you have experienced only a few syptoms of MS and you did you share of googling. However, your googling is flawed! You have missed this beauty =>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalized_anxiety_disorder

Here's a list of sypmtoms that might occur. I'm sure that you'll find more than 2.

Autonomic arousal symptoms
(1) Palpitations or pounding heart, or accelerated heart rate.
(2) Sweating.
(3) Trembling or shaking.
(4) Dry mouth (not due to medication or dehydration).
Symptoms concerning chest and abdomen
(5) Difficulty breathing.
(6) Feeling of choking.
(7) Chest pain or discomfort.
(8) Nausea or abdominal distress (e.g. churning in stomach).
Symptoms concerning brain and mind
(9) Feeling dizzy, unsteady, faint or light-headed.
(10) Feelings that objects are unreal (derealization), or that one's self is distant or "not really here" (depersonalization).
(11) Fear of losing control, going crazy, or passing out.
(12) Fear of dying.
General symptoms
(13) Hot flushes or cold chills.
(14) Numbness or tingling sensations.
Symptoms of tension
(15) Muscle tension or aches and pains.
(16) Restlessness and inability to relax.
(17) Feeling keyed up, or on edge, or of mental tension.
(18) A sensation of a lump in the throat, or difficulty with swallowing.
Other non-specific symptoms
(19) Exaggerated response to minor surprises or being startled.
(20) Difficulty in concentrating, or mind going blank, because of worrying or anxiety.
(21) Persistent irritability.
(22) Difficulty getting to sleep because of worrying.

That being said, it is obvious you are suffering from anxiety. At least now you know what you're up against! Also, learn about panic attacks. I had a few of those in the past but then I learned about them. When they are about to start now, I immediately realize that it's a panic attack and I stop it with my mind. Because this is "fight or flight" activating! Neurotransmiters override your conscious mind in order to save you from the lion. Of course, these days we don't have lions in our settlements but fight or flight remained and is causing us to panic. Don't allow your unconsciouss brain to overpower your consciouss. When a panic attack starts, take a deep breath and repeat something like this "I am a master of my brain. I will not allow it to overpower me." Or think of your own mantra. Or simply say "NO!!!". At loud if necessary!
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion

Offline gibzster

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 10:28:27 AM »
Thanks  a lot. We decided not to go back to hospital. I am just going to try to be strong and ride it out.
Bookmark and Share

Online AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 10:41:36 AM »
I'm sorry you're going through this stress. However you simply can't go in and just demand expensive tests when there is not a medical indication for them. I recommend that you get set up with a primary care provider who can provide you with ongoing health management and follow up on your anxiety, which an ER simply cannot provide.
Bookmark and Share

Offline karachondria

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Hi. I'm a teenage hypochondriac. I'm here to help💕
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 11:20:02 AM »
MS is rare in teens. I'm nearly 15. You're 15 and I think you're fine. On a brighter note even if you did have MS (there's no chance but if) you would be able to live your life to the full anyway I know someone who has MS and she is living as long as a person without MS good luck try not to overthink things
Bookmark and Share

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 11:31:41 AM »
I am just going to try to be strong and ride it out.

You do that. And know that you owe nothing to nobody, you don't have to meet the expectations of a disease. You have to do only what you want to do so there's no need for panic. Stop for a moment and perceive the world around you. It's still there even when you think your world is crashing down. Think positive. Tell yourself: "Yeah, it's anxiety. Well, f*** anxiety, I'm stronger than it." Because you are stronger but you think you're not.
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion

Online michelle360

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 11:47:47 AM »
It is very sad to me to see someone so young suffering from this debilitating condition called anxiety. You must begin by addressing your anxiety. Nothing will get better until you do. I agree with karachondria on this. You do not have MS, trust me. On some level I think you must know that. For some reason I think people find it easier to believe there is something physically wrong rather than mentally wrong. As if to have a mental illness is weak. Suffering from anxiety is no more a sign of weakness than is suffering from ahstma. In either case your body is trying tell you something is wrong that needs to be addressed. Hence the anxiety symptoms. I hope you find your way to treatment, whatever that may look like for you.
Bookmark and Share