Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Pregnant and Worried About Traffic Pollution  (Read 108 times)

Offline marbles88

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Pregnant and Worried About Traffic Pollution
« on: December 20, 2013, 07:33:57 PM »
My anxiety over traffic pollution is getting worse every day. We live near two busy streets and I feel like the air pollution from the traffic is affecting me and my unborn baby. I stopped going outside so much (I do go on walks near trails that are not near busy streets). I also find myself staying mostly in one room in my house I feel is farthest away from the traffic. I have developed a cough that seems to go away when I am not in my house. I am not sure if this is due to being away from traffic or if it's all in my mind. We have lived here over 2.5 years and I didn't give the traffic that much thought for most of that time. Once I became pregnant, this all changed. I am completely miserable with worry. Anyone have any advice to calm me down? My husband insists that the traffic is not that bad and since we have a lot of trees and the wind doesn't blow directly at our house, we are not at a huge risk.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pregnant and Worried About Traffic Pollution
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 08:19:16 PM »
Remember how you used to hear all those rumors about living under power lines making children be born with birth defects? Same deal. Try not to worry about it because it can't cause you that much harm. If you've eaten fish in the last month, its probably moer dangerous than all the traffic so far.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marbles88

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 08:57:24 PM »
Thank you, Lunatone. I actually still believed that power lines caused birth defects. After doing a bit of research, it appears you are right. There are no convincing studies that this is true. I feel a bit better :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline ARose318

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 08:01:07 AM »
I just had a baby in March ... pregnancy is the beginning of a long life of worry about your child. However, you have to determine which things are right to worry about vs. those that aren't. I do not believe traffic is cause for concern. Think of all the women in NYC or other crowded cities who are pregnant, they deal with this on a daily basis and I guarantee their babies are born nice and healthy. Think of women who smoke during their pregnancy ...

I would discuss your concerns with your OB as any type of stress/anxiety isn't good to be feeling while pregnant.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: