Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: KLONOPIN AND ALCOHOL  (Read 219 times)

Offline naynaydevil2

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
KLONOPIN AND ALCOHOL
« on: December 20, 2013, 06:55:36 PM »
OK, so I take 1 mg of klonopin per day. I have severe anxiety and am also a hypochondriach... i drank 2 beers today after taking my daily dose of klonopin. I know its "ONLY" 2 beers, but i've heard bad things about mixing the two. I shouldn't have done it..but should i worry about going to sleep tonight? i will also post in the hypo. section of the forums too. thank you in advance for anyone who has advice or has been in the same situation!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 66
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: KLONOPIN AND ALCOHOL
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 07:41:44 PM »
OK, so I take 1 mg of klonopin per day. I have severe anxiety and am also a hypochondriach... i drank 2 beers today after taking my daily dose of klonopin. I know its "ONLY" 2 beers, but i've heard bad things about mixing the two.

Yes, alcohol and benzodiazepines should not be mixed, they are a potentially lethal combination, HOWEVER, it is unlikely that 1mg Klonopin and 2 beers will do any harm, especially if you're not going to sleep for another 4-5 hours as all the alcohol will have been metabolized by then.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline sportygirl1

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 06:57:53 PM »
Just be careful mixing those two. Not only because it lowers respiratory rate, but mixing alcohol with benzo's can screw up the GABA receptors in your brain and cause anxiety to worsen. I know from experience. I was a moderate to heavy drinker and quit klonopin cold turkey and it almost ruined me. My anxiety became debilitating for many, many weeks until the receptors healed themselves.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 66
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 06:39:23 AM »
Just be careful mixing those two. Not only because it lowers respiratory rate, but mixing alcohol with benzo's can screw up the GABA receptors in your brain and cause anxiety to worsen.

You're correct, alcohol can worsen anxiety a lot, however, this isn't because of its effects on GABA receptors, the impact is far more widespread and insidious.

My anxiety became debilitating for many, many weeks until the receptors healed themselves.

Receptors aren't permanent structures that need healing, but relatively simple protein molecules with a short life. How long they survive depends on their type, location in the brain, the age of the neuron and the amount of activity, but it ranges from less than a second to maybe a week, however, most don't survive more than 24 hours. GABA(B) receptors which are the ones affected by alcohol and benzodiazepines have a half-life of around 11-13 hours (Balasubramanian S, 2007 - PDF fig 4 p4166, & 4169).

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: