Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Diarrhea/loose stools every morning :( TMI Warning  (Read 335 times)

Offline Air Nomad

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Diarrhea/loose stools every morning :( TMI Warning
« on: December 20, 2013, 06:51:48 PM »
So a couple years ago I started drinking coffee again after a long hiatus and I found that it made me have to go, but it was always a normal bowel movement.  Coffee just kinda kept me regular and I would go each morning after my coffee.  But as the months and years passed, my stools became softer and looser until now I have very loose stools and sometimes even diarrhea every morning within minutes of drinking my coffee, and I only ever drink just ONE cup of coffee.  I usually only have this in the morning right after my coffee.  Most of the time if I go later in the day, it's a fairly normal movement.  Sometimes it's still loose though.  I do eat a lot of fruits and veggies, so maybe my diet?  When the consistency was normal, I assumed coffee just kept me regular but now that it's so much looser, my mind is wandering to terrifying things like colon cancer.  Does anyone else experience this type of reaction to coffee or have any ideas about this?

I have a 1 year old son so cutting out my morning coffee does NOT sound pleasant right now, haha, but I'm planning on trying to eat toast before drinking my coffee so it's not on an empty stomach.  I just keep forgetting to try this since the first thing my zombie self wants in the morning is coffee.
Bookmark and Share
Sokka: "Do you want me to be like you or be totally honest?"
Katara: "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
Sokka: "No, I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing really."
(This is me and my husband to a tee)

Online stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Re: Diarrhea/loose stools every morning :( TMI Warning
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 09:08:35 PM »
If you skip the cup of coffee, do you have a normal bowel movement?

My fiancee had an issue with loose bowel movements every morning. It wasn't brought on by anything in particular. It had been going on for a couple years, and he wasn't concerned about it at all. A few weeks ago we were shopping at Target, and I saw some yogurt that I wanted to try, Siggi's drinkable yogurt. It has a ton of active live cultures in it. Supposed to be good for you all around and especially good for digestive things. He decided to try some too, and ever since starting to drink the yogurt pretty regularly, the loose bowel movements have stopped and so has the urgency. Doesn't really have issues with it anymore. I'm thinking perhaps his gut flora was just really out of whack? Don't know for sure, but it's worth mentioning because it definitely helped him!

Also, coffee commonly makes people have to go. It's bowel stimulating. Here's a little snippet of info for you:

Aside from promoting bowel movements, coffee can also cause looser stools because increased peristalsis leaves less time for the colon to perform one of its key functions–reabsorbing water from fecal matter to produce well-formed stools. Be aware, however, that other common accompaniments to coffee can be culprits in this matter. Dairy products, excess sugar, even “sugarless” sweeteners like sorbitol (a well-known substance used as a laxative) can cause diarrhea.

So you don't seem to be too abnormal! If it's talked about in an article, it seems to be pretty common.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Tags: