Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Help! Pharmacist won't refill Effexor prescription yet :(  (Read 289 times)

Offline rosepetal77

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Help! Pharmacist won't refill Effexor prescription yet :(
« on: December 20, 2013, 06:25:01 PM »
I've gotten myself into a really bad situation. I take 75 mg of Effexor per day and I get it refilled every 30 days. I've been on it for the past few years with no problems, but this month I dropped my pill bottle and lost some of the pills :(. I left it go until now(which was stupid on my part) and when I went in for a refill, they said my insurance won't cover it for another five days. I said that's ok and asked if I could pay out of pocket for a couple pills to tide me over. The lady who works at the pharmacy(not the actual pharmacist) said that there was no way she would do that, and argued with me that I should have those pills. She treated me like I was a junkie, but I as far as I know, Effexor isn't an addictive drug and isn't a controlled substance like Ativan and other anti-anxiety drugs. I'm so scared that I won't be able to make it for the next five days without it, and if I would have known this would happen, I would have tried to conserve the pills I had as best I could. I don't know what I should do and I'm really panicking!
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Help! Pharmacist won't refill Effexor prescription yet :(
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 07:20:57 PM »
Hi Rose...  If I were you, I'd call your pharmacy and ask to speak specifically to the pharmacist.  Explain to them the situation.  They will know how important it is to take your Effexor, daily.  And you are so right, this is not a controlled substance, and you should not have been treated like that by that employee.  Things like losing one's medication, happen.  The best to you...   Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 07:25:49 PM »
Effexor isn't an addictive drug and isn't a controlled substance like Ativan and other anti-anxiety drugs. I'm so scared that I won't be able to make it for the next five days without it, and if I would have known this would happen, I would have tried to conserve the pills I had as best I could. I don't know what I should do and I'm really panicking!

Contact your doctor immediately, explain the situation and seek his/her advice. There are risks in stopping Effexor cold-turkey so you must do something about this now!

And I suggest you take your future business elsewhere. Any pharmacist that won't cooperate in such circumstances should not be trusted, IMHO. I'd be making a complaint to whatever government agency regulates pharmacies in your area.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 01:23:42 PM »
Once you call your doctor ASAP - and every doctor has a 24 hour answering service - you can ask him to call your pharmacy, so he can renew the prescription on the phone.  Since you're on Effexor (Venlafaxine), due to its 4 hour half life, your doctor is more than likely aware of the withdrawl symptoms if you stop taking this medication for a few days, so he should be expedient in his reply.  You can then pick up a new prescription at the pharmacy.  Also find some way to work with your insurance in raising the quantity of your Effexor (Venlafaxine) beyond a 30 day refill prescription, even if it means getting a new insurance.  My insurance allows me to have a 90 day prescription count, so I can avoid the monthly visits to the pharmacy.  This also entails putting the payment on credit, where I could pay any residual cost my insurance won't cover, at a later date.

By the way, you and your doctor should discuss raising your dosage of Effexor above 75mg.  It is the minimum recommended dose of Effexor, when someone first begins their use of antidepressant medication for the management of depression and anxiety.  If you have continued on Effexor past a year, and it seems for you it's been several years, this means your doctor feels you should be on the medication, not as a temporary measure, but as a medical intervention for a damaged brain.    Staying at 75mg will more than likely lead to tachyphylaxis. Google that word for more information.

Forgetting to refill your prescription, after loosing some pills, to me, signals a sign of apathy.  It could be the start up of a depression that may get worse, if you don't better manage your medication, which I think, should be raised at a higher dosage.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Tags: