Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Totally freaking out right now  (Read 362 times)

Offline worriedone_84

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Totally freaking out right now
« on: December 20, 2013, 02:45:29 PM »
I've been having sensations that feel like restless leg syndrome along with numbness and tingling for a while now, so my Dr. set me up to get a nerve conduction test done. He called me today and said that the results were abnormal and that I am showing signs of peripheral neuropathy. He's going to refer me to a neurologist to get it checked out, but now I'm totally freaking out...my mind is racing with all kinds of horrible thoughts regarding what the problem could be. I'm thinking that I have everything from MS to ALS or Parkinson's. I'm also thinking "what if I am stuck with this for the rest of my life and it only gets worse? I'm only 29!". Today is my last day of work for a couple of weeks as I'm taking some time off around the holidays and now I'm just going to be freaking out the whole time and not be able to enjoy any of it thinking that something horrible is going on.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Totally freaking out right now
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 05:07:06 PM »
Anyone would be concerned if a physician told someone they had some abnormal test result. I think the key is to try the best you can not to think about it
as this will only worry you more. It may also turn out to be nothing or something not serious. I remember many years ago, I went in for an eye exam and my
regular Opthamologist was not in, so I saw someone else. After my eye exam she asked me if I was having headaches or eye issues. I said not really. She then said that
one of my optic nerves was bigger than the other which could be indicative of a brain tumor. I went back to my regular Opthamologist and he said that one of my optic nerves was always
bigger than the other and not to worry. I said that I really don't want to ever see the other doctor again, as I don't want a brain tumor mentioned, unless they are 100% sure that I have one.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 05:22:27 PM »
Ever heard of the benefit of the doubt? Why jump to conclusions when you have an exam coming? Anxiety mimcs the symptoms of both peripheral neuropathy and restless leg syndrome. And what symptoms do you have? Is it the twitching? Crawling under your skin? Pins and needles? You have mentioned that you worry a lot and that you are aware of the symptoms of PN and RLS. It is probable that your mind creates these symptoms because you are expecting them. Because when you worry, the chemistry in your brain changes and the brain sends these negative signals throughout the body.
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion

Offline worriedone_84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 05:39:06 PM »
yeah, I know that it might not be something serious. However, since the doctor gave me a diagnosis of peripheral neuropathy and he said that he was concerned about it it just really made me worry a whole lot. I am going to go back to the neurologist sometime soon to have all the test done to see what could be causing that neuropathy, but I'm just really terrified that it's going to be something awful. I know I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but it's just in my nature to do so - I know it might be something simple that can be corrected, but I just keep thinking that I'm going to wind up in a wheelchair by age 35 or something like that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 05:55:23 PM »
since the doctor gave me a diagnosis of peripheral neuropathy

You said that he had said that "you show signs of PN". That's no diagnosis! And is certainly not conclusive. Look, I know what you're going through because I had fears of my own and am an overthinker. But you just can't go around commiting logical fallacies! Let me introduce you to a few you have made ;D :

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-texas-sharpshooter

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/composition-division

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/black-or-white

Never jump to conclusion without evidence! Logic makes no mistakes
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion

Offline worriedone_84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 11:11:07 PM »
Well, I had a nerve conduction study done and the diagnosis of peripheral neuropathy was confirmed. I have an appointment for a consult with the neuro on Jan 21st to see if we can determine a cause.

Anyways, the last few days it seems like it's gotten worse and worse. My fingers and tows now tingle all day...I don't know if my anxiety is making it worse than it really is or what's going on. I'm still freaking out 100% though. This just sucks so badly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worriedone_84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 04:16:06 PM »
I've been to a neurologist and had a bunch of lab work done, all of which came back normal. They're saying that it's most likely idiopathic peripheral neuropathy which means that there is no cause (at least not that is identifiable with today's technology). The nurse didn't do much to make me feel better because she said that it usually gets progressively worse and that they have some patients that have had to re-learn how to walk because they can't feel their feet at all. So, this has sent me into a state of panic because I have the tingling and stuff in both hands and both feet and I'm convinced that I'm going to end up having to be doped up on all kinds of pain medication just to be able to somewhat function. I know no two people are the same and that I shouldn't fear for the worst because the worst may never come, but I'm not sure what to do at the moment. I'm just freaking out so badly.
Bookmark and Share

Online sally1959

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 04:54:41 PM »
I'm sorry worriedone, it's perfectly reasonable and normal to freak out after an experience like this. We all understand how shitty this situation feels for you at the moment. When I'm feeling sad I like to take some time off and visit my family, or if I can't do that then I like to watch my favorite movie or go to the library. Do you have anything nice you could do for yourself to help take your mind off things until you've calmed down?

Don't confine yourself to your diagnosis-- remember that anything can happen and that just because something happens to other patients, doesn't mean it will happen to you. This diagnosis may mean something totally different for you than it means for others. And it could always be much, much worse than what you have--everyone on this board knows that, lol!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: