Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?
Anxiety Forums & Chat Rooms

Finding success in the small steps

Offline AncientMelody

• Personal text
Finding success in the small steps
« on: December 20, 2013, 01:27:38 PM »
Lots of posts today....I think that caffeinated coffee is making me a little hyper  :yes: Haven't really drank caffeinated in 6 months, so I'm not used to it anymore!

Anyway, I gave myself a little reminder yesterday that it's important to give oneself credit for even the small successes. Those small achievements can work stepwise towards recovery, or for those with more unremitting chronic depression at least get through the battle day to day.  Yesterday was a rough day.....as I mentioned I've been having some very troublesome side effects from the lexapro which has been getting me down. Had anxiety come on shortly AFTER meditation which was frustrating. I couldn't "CBT" or positive think my way out of the anxiety in spite of actively trying, which made me feel depressed and overwhelmed in the evening.  I was so tired in the evening by the time the kids went to bed. I had a bath to relax which helped. But before that I put in some effort I didn't think I had to get a load of towels folded and put away. Such a small thing, took 5 or 6 minutes. But knowing that I worked to clear the clutter in the house just a little (because that's one of my stressors) did give me a little boost. Still dealing with the side effects today, yet my mood has rebounded and I'm able to feel fairly cheerful today in spite of it. I know it doesn't always work, but just remember to give yourself credit when you get the little things done.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Leo99

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
Re: Finding success in the small steps
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 07:36:29 AM »
I thank you for this post and could not agree more!

Depression and anxiety seem to make us acknowledge all the stuff we haven't done and we get so easily overwhelmed by that.
Small things deserve credit and when planning our road to recovery, breaking it into small steps is always a good idea.
Minor achievements will make us feel we've accomplished something and give us the strenght and motivation to continue.
Bookmark and Share
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
(E. A. Poe)

Offline marc

• Mood: Busy
    Busy
Re: Finding success in the small steps
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 09:09:57 AM »
I believe any positive thoughts will help in the short and long term.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.