Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Cancer fears due to pain/tingling in thigh, knee and shin  (Read 266 times)

Offline Cooper11

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Cancer fears due to pain/tingling in thigh, knee and shin
« on: December 20, 2013, 12:10:55 PM »
I've been doing great.  Haven't visited this board for almost a year.

My HA is in high gear now.  Over the past 4 months I've had mild pain in my upper thigh due to certain movements.  Did some investigating and have the classic symptoms associated with Meralgia paresthetica.  Pain has gotten worse, which is normal, but now I'm also feeling pain in knee and some pins and needles in shin which is not a symtpom of meralgia parestetica. 

I'm freaking out that it is cancer.  I have an aunt (not blood related) who had terrible back pain which turned into knee pain and she was diagnosed with cancer which has since spread and her prognosis is not good.

Is my pain caused by cancer?  Would there be other symptoms if cancer was the culprit?  I'm really in a panic.

I need to be talked down off a ledge from any rational person right now :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Re: Cancer fears due to pain/tingling in thigh, knee and shin
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 12:17:40 PM »
Why would pain in your knee be cancer related? What type of cancer do you fear?  You need to think in a rational way as to why you made that connection? If you had any type of cancer, I'd very much doubt your initial issue would be knee pain.

I know how easy it is for our minds to wander!  I'm not rational in  any way shape or form but in my opinion it sounds like a muscular/nerve thing.

Have you seen a physio?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cooper11

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 12:41:20 PM »
Thanks for responding.

I have an apt. with a primary doctor in 2 weeks.

My mind always goes to worst case scenario and of course, all my leg (thigh, knee, shin) pain is due to tumor in spine etc.

So hard for me to think rationally, especially when I just heard of a case where a friend had back/knee pain that did turn out to be cancer.

I think I'm looking for someone to allay my fears that's it not cancer with what cancer symptoms would consist of that way in my warped brain I can say "see, I don't have that..."

My HA is really high right now so I'm reaching for anything...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 01:22:45 PM »
Well id say you'd probably have pain in your back first as opposed to your knee?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 03:08:16 PM »
The first thing I would think of with pain and tingling in your thigh, knee, and shin would be possibly a pinched nerve in your lower back, Lumbar or Sacral area.  I HIGHLY, HIGHLY doubt it is cancer of any kind and you'd probably have more symptoms if you did.
Bookmark and Share
Sokka: "Do you want me to be like you or be totally honest?"
Katara: "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
Sokka: "No, I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing really."
(This is me and my husband to a tee)

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 04:51:07 PM »
Cooper, have you found a lump anywhere on your body where you think this particular cancer could be? Probably a painless lump, because the cancer would have to be significantly large to cause pain as far as I know. If not, you're in the clear. Most likely not even meralgia paraesthetica. I had a tingling on the right side of my thigh and thought the same thing, just above the knee and nothing came of it so plain old anxiety was obviously the culprit. But back then I feared something much worse than cancer (don't go googling, now. you hear?) so you have it pretty good.

Regarding your self-diagnosis (which, from my experience, is almost never true except when obvious) with meralgia paraesthetica... Have you considered any physical injuries? Perhaps a strained muscle or tendon? Or perhaps a tendon inflammation? Or maybe an inflamed nerve? It's more likely that some of those things are your problem rather than meralgia p..
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion

Offline Cooper11

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 09:15:06 PM »
There is no part on my body, including back, where it is painful to the touch.  Even the pain on my thigh/shin does not hurt with any pressure...only hurts with movement.

I did go to DR. today to get something for the night time pain (which is pretty bad).  I told them my concern and they did an xray of my lower spine, leg, knee and shin and said they did not see anything concerning.

I was relieved until I read that Xrays really aren't the best way to find tumors as they can hide from xrays in soft tissue etc.  If there is tumor concern, an MRI is recommended.

Am I thinking crazy or should I rely on the xray even though it cannot provide a definitive "yes or no" regarding tumors?

Thanks by the way to everyone who has responded.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 06:32:19 AM »
Even the pain on my thigh/shin does not hurt with any pressure...only hurts with movement.

This suggest an injury of your muscles, tendons, ligaments or even bones in your knee joint. I'm no doctor but this is logical to me.

I mean, when people experience pain in their joints when they move, they assume it's an injury of some sort. Not you, though. You go straight to cancer!  ;D  You said that the pain is localized. You should see an orthopedist.
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion

Tags: