Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Using humor as a coping mechanism  (Read 184 times)

Online AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Using humor as a coping mechanism
« on: December 20, 2013, 10:47:07 AM »
Does anyone use humor to cope with the stress of your anxiety?

I've turned more and more to that recently. Even poking a little bit of fun at my own expense with my husband.  I don't know, sometimes you're tired of crying and need to laugh instead. Plus I think that it's nice to realize life always doesn't have to be that serious.  I suspect that many of us with anxiety put a lot of pressure on ourselves in our day to day lives and it's hard not to crack under that pressure. So a little jesting can help realize not every symptom or life event is catostrophic.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Using humor as a coping mechanism
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 11:24:10 AM »
Hi Melody...  Great topic for a post!  Some 2-3 months ago my anxiety returned, big time.  I was started on Celexa four weeks ago.  Some depression occurred also, and you could here it in my voice.  I felt bad, and so I sounded bad, my voice being weak and pitiful.  I made a conscious decision to not only start speak in a strong voice, but to add some humor as well.  My sister noticed the change immediately.  When she would call and ask how I was doing, I'd come out with a strong voice saying "I feel like Hell!", and then add something funny.  She loved it!  Also at this time, there is nothing that makes me laugh like the Three Stooges.  So I started putting them on everyday, and sure enough, I'm back to laughing.  Laughter is a fabulous form of medicine.  I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't makes my Celexa work better.  The best to you, Melody!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 11:39:34 AM »
Yes, I absolutely love to laugh :) And I do laugh at myself a lot. My little adventures with anxiety can be funny at times. Once I was at the hair salon getting my hair colored. I had my long hair piled up on my head with the hair dye on it, and had a plastic cap on over it. As I was waiting, reading a magazine I thought I was having the beginnings of a panic attack---everything seemed to be getting darker in my vision, which caused my heart rate to go up. I began to panic. Until I realized my hair (which is dark brown) was falling down off the top of my head inside the plastic cap, and was making shadow over my eyes! When I got home I never laughed so hard! Funny how our minds can create a mountain out of a mole hill. It was a big lesson for me not to let myself get so carried away to places I don't want to be. Laughing is good medicine :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 73
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 11:52:11 AM »
Terrific thread, thank you. There is the example of Norman Cousins' book Anatomy of An Illness, Reflections on Healing and Regeneration. He had a crippling physical disease but his method of watching Marx Brothers movies (or any that appeal to us) might just work for any of us. Laurel and Hardy still can do it for me.

Once read that laughter releases feel good chemicals which would help anyone.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: