Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: A chance to acknowledge those who have supported you in your struggles  (Read 664 times)

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
(I'm apparently in a good mood this morning! Two posts in the inspiration section)  ;D

I thought it might be uplifting to talk a little bit about those who have provided support to you during your mental health struggles; whether that support be financial, medical, emotional, etc.  Anything at all.

I feel that I've been very fortunate in terms of support.  My husband has been way more patient and understanding than I expected. (he's typically a good source of support but doesn't really "get" mental illness so that's where I was worried). Early in the process he's talked out CBT stuff with me, discussed my family upbringing that laid some groundwork for the current anxiety, and has always been ready with a hug when I get a bad anxiety spell.  My sister and parents have been kind on the few occasions that I've discussed the anxiety with them. Honestly even my  three and a half year old little boy has lifted my spirits a few times when he's seen me crying. "Don't be sad mommy" His empathy even though he doesn't understand is wonderful. I've told him quite simply  and honestly that mommy "takes medicine that won't make her cry so much"

My acupuncturist has been a source of support, and we've touched a lot on stress management and shared the challenges of being moms in the medical field. We've even touched on spirituality a bit, and she's had something of an influence to reach for spiritual growth again. Doctors have also been very helpful: my supervising physician colleague has talked things out with me a lot. My family doctor has taken multiple panicked texts/phonecalls and even rearranged her schedule to fit me in at last minute during a particularly bad day. 

The psychiatry office has been very good as well; when I first was referred there I was told multiple times that they accepted my insurance; only to find AFTER my first appointment that this was not the case. They promised me then since it was their error that they would either give me a no-charge for that appointment or reduced fee if my insurance company didn't accept an appeal. Well, they filed an appeal with the insurance company who approved visits with them for a full year.

So in a lot of ways I feel very lucky.  I feel like I've had accepting and supportive people every step of the way. In a world where there is still so much stigma attached to mental illness it's nice to see that not everyone views it that way.

Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Re: A chance to acknowledge those who have supported you in your struggles
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 06:27:36 PM »
I've been very fortunate to have my fiance. He helps talk me through a lot of my anxious breakdowns, reassures me, understands my quirks, etc. Same with my mother and same with my father. Honestly, I'm surrounded by a lot of people who are very encouraging and supportive, that listen to me when I talk, and that I can relate with. My father, my fiance, my friend Sarah, and I have all been through anxiety/depression or are still going through it, coping, and so on, and it helps a lot to talk to someone that gets it.

Also everyone on these boards! It's so comforting to find people whose brains work in a similar fashion so that you know you're not alone, and yes, it really is the mental illness that's doing this!
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline Cilantro

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 12:25:51 AM »
I've known one of my friends for about 10 years now. We met in 6th grade and are finishing college as still-friends. In middle school and high school I was very socially awkward and shy, but she made sure I never had to be alone and always brought me along to movies, invited me over for dinner, etc. My issue then was primarily depression due to the after-effects of growing up in a dysfunctional home and not being able to make friends.

We were both awkward when we were younger, but she's grown up into a fashionable social butterfly and doesn't judge me for having remained mostly the same plus tact and the ability to blend in. I got to be exposed to new people - and friendly ones, because nasty ones were never invited twice - and get out of the house no matter how depressed and lost I was feeling. Still do.
Bookmark and Share

Online flyaway

• Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 01:43:00 AM »
- My mum
- My boyfriend
- My massage therapist
- My boss
- My Doctor
- My best friend

^ no particular order.

I've realised I am not as alone as I always thought I was.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mana

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 05:08:56 AM »
My mother, my ex flat mate here in Spain, multiple good friends who have offered support as much as possible even without understanding, so to speak. My doctor here, who was firm but fair when insisting I needed help. A friend in Portugal who takes time out of her day each week after a long day at work to also offer me assistance, as well as fielding numerous messages and txts when some things get to be too much.
Bookmark and Share
"There will always be a part of me that is dirty and sloppy, but I like that, just like all the other parts of myself. I can forgive. Can you say the same for yourself, fucker? Can you forgive? Are you capable of that?"

Online Tld.

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 05:43:08 PM »
My best friend who I cant see as often as id like. She'll akways take my 3am calls, calm me and reassure me without judgement  even when she has her own stuff to deal with. She knows ill never forget. ( unless I experience memory loss and then I can not be hekd accountable)

And the strangers that just share a simple smile, some people dont know what a difference that can make to someones day.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PinkIcePrincess

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 10:11:26 AM »
 My Hubby tries too as much as he can and also try and understand....

My Mom who does her best... even struggling with her own health problems...

The Lord without Him and me talking to him and Praying I don't know where I would be....

Some friends try and understand and help.. most have their own issues...

Journaling I know it isn't a person but it sure helps ..

Klove or Christian Music..

Reading Bible Versus...

I have always had to be the strong one due to my parents and my childhood so I am drained wont lie..
Bookmark and Share

Offline babagun00sh

• Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 09:06:50 AM »
My fiancÚ has been more supportive and understanding than I ever thought was possible. He tries to soothe me whenever I'm having an anxiety attack or crying spell, with no judgement. He just is simply there for me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Anxiousmind77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I really like this post!

I am so lucky to have the few people in my life that go above and beyond to help me through my trials and tribulations.

First off my older sister. We live together so I'm sure my anxiety and fears effect her to some extent. She's a wonderful listener. I know I could tell her anything with out judgement. We seem to help each other a lot when it comes to our mental health. We always thank each other for being each others " therapists" after a long heart to heart. Lol.

2nd my boyfriend. I don't think he understands my anxiety fully but nonetheless is always there to lend a hug or an ear. I think he tries hard to sympathize with me and that's more than I could ever ask for.

And last but not least my beloved mother. She is literally there for me each and everytime. No matter what the issue is, she is there to listen, to advize, to love. Me and my sister joke around and call it " mom rehab" when we just have to sit down and talk. She is the most caring, sympathetic, and loving woman and I could never imagine my life with out her. Her heart and mind is so open, making it practically impossible not to trust and love her.

I will be forever thankful for these few people that have impacted my life in such a huge, amazing way!

Again great post. Love this idea.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: