Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Metamucil help please?  (Read 264 times)

Offline adam4little

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Metamucil help please?
« on: December 19, 2013, 09:39:55 PM »
Hey all

What the hell is going on with me? I just started on metamucil three days ago. I had two days of awesome morning bms--formed, beautiful, no diarrhea. Today I had a nice formed one in the morning, a nice formed one in the afternoon, and a huge one tonight, literally the size of my arm. I usually only go once day. Why is it I went three times? What does this mean? WHat is this indicative of? Im scared
Bookmark and Share

Offline jmcewan

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Metamucil help please?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 09:44:59 PM »
The psyllium husk is asorbing excess fat and water in your system that has been stuck in your system. First time I took it I was on the can for hhours
Bookmark and Share

Offline adam4little

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 10:00:50 PM »
when does it get better?
Bookmark and Share

Offline jmcewan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 10:17:02 PM »
after a few days. It also depends a lot on your diet; the more you eat the more bulk there is to be removed.
Bookmark and Share

Online patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 06:35:12 AM »
Metamucil is a fiber supplement and unless you're used to a high fiber diet, it will initially make you poop more.  It will get better with time.  BTW Metamucil is great at helping to reduce cholesterol as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 08:16:41 AM »
My doctor told me what to expect.  He said it greatly increases the size of the stool yet softens it.  I'm using generic which says 2 tsp 3 times a day.  I eat loads of veggies and fiber so I'm only taking it once a day.

Sounds like you're squeaky clean! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline adam4little

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 10:08:18 AM »
Ok--so I went this morning and it was again--not 12 hours later--the size of my arm!? How does metamucil work? There's no way there's that much stuff inside me.
Bookmark and Share

Online patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 07:23:00 AM »
While I'm sure its larger than normal, its not actually the size of your arm is it?  LOL

OK so this is the deal with fiber.  When you eat it, a lot of its goes through your system undigested.  As it does and it passes through your bowels, it is scraping against the bowel walls which is lined with a substance called bile and the fiber will scrape away the bile and take it with it on the way out.  So a little fiber can produce a big poop because the fiber is taking other stuff along with it for the ride.

This is why eating a high fiber diet is good for cholesterol - because a primary component of bile is cholesterol.  So once the fiber takes the bile (and its cholesterol) out the exit, your body needs to produce more bile to line your intestines to help it with digestion.  Because the body usually can't make enough cholesterol on its own to do this (yes, the body makes cholesterol) it will go into your blood stream and take cholesterol from your arteries and veins and move it to your bowels to help make up the bile.  So eat more fiber, remove the bile, body takes cholesterol from your blood system to make new bile and repeat and that is why eating a high fiber diet is good for your cholesterol.

Metamucil is very good at this and why doctors also recommend it for people with high cholesterol.

Give it time and you will have "normal" poops but don't necessarily think normal means poops like you used to have - you've changed your fiber levels so your poop will also change.  Think more along the lines of "new normal".
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 08:48:57 AM »
You can also lower the dosage.  I took Benefiber 2 times a day and had gas discomfort.  I'm not a big eater (a small gal, too) so I am only taking it in my morning coffee.  My stool size is normal but softer.  In my case, we were working on external 'rhoids and life long habit of bowel movements every 2 or 3 days.  After colon cancer surgery, bowel obstructions are a concern so I have struggled for 5 years now to try and go daily.  Generic Benefiber has helped immensely.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jmcewan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 10:22:26 AM »
And for a wild saturday night, throw some into some homemade chili! :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: