Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Rib Pain/Back Pain/Rib Bulge! CANCER FREAK OUT!  (Read 265 times)

Offline FreakOutQueen

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Rib Pain/Back Pain/Rib Bulge! CANCER FREAK OUT!
« on: December 19, 2013, 06:19:52 PM »
Hi all,

For the past 9 months, I have had intermittent back pain in my mid right back that only hurts if I move a certain way. I also have very tender ribs on that side and last night noticed that one of my ribs bulges out and is more tender than the rest. I had an xray, which was normal and a blood test that did a CBC, liver function, kidney function, blood sugar etc....all normal. Just got back from the orthopedist who felt the bulge and said it was probably just some asymmetry, but that the chances of cancer are in the decimals (.0009% etc). He said cancer probably would have shown up on the blood test or I would have other symptoms (weight loss, fever, horrible night pain) etc and he won't give me a CT scan because he doesn't want to expose me to radiation, but I really think I have cancer...bone cancer or liver or kidney or....the list continues.

I have had other hypochondria in the past, but every time it feels so real! Like, "this is it, I really have (insert disease/disorder) this time"...but it's always benign...but one day it won't be and it really scares me.

UGH!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Rib Pain/Back Pain/Rib Bulge! CANCER FREAK OUT!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 08:32:37 PM »
Did the blood test include calcium?  An elevated calcium reading could indicate bone cancer.

It sounds like you might have torn a ligament in the rib area.  Also, do a search on this forum. I seem to remember a lot of people saying the ribs on one side were bigger than on the other. 

I don't know your age, but you can have arthritis in that area.  My mother had awful rib pain and lumps/ bumps.  She's had it for years.  Even under her breasts!  It turned out to be arthritis in her rib cage.
Bookmark and Share

Offline FreakOutQueen

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Rib Pain/Back Pain/Rib Bulge! CANCER FREAK OUT!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 01:07:16 AM »
Hi there!

No calcium test to my knowledge. I'm 28 otherwise healthy (whatever that means) but have had many health scares in my life. Grew up with an immune deficiency, lupus scare (high ANA level), aneurism (mri indicated a bulge in an artery, which turned out to be an infundibulum)....so when it comes to health, I am always worried. I will re-check my labs. Is that something they normally test for?  Should I ask for it?

Thanks so much for your reply!!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: