Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Struggling with work and myself  (Read 281 times)

Offline Fuzyyy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Struggling with work and myself
« on: December 19, 2013, 05:28:14 PM »
Hey everyone,

In my last couple of posts I explained that I recently started a job at a supermarket temporarily over Christmas. I'm only scheduled to do Tuesdays and Thursdays which I can deal with but I've recently been asked to do a lot of overtime which is really worrying me for so many reasons.

Firstly, I hate my job. It's bearable but I still hate it. It's cold, loud and at this time of year packed and as a result fairly cramped. Having said that I can get through my scheduled hours okay.

However the overtime hours I've been asked to do run from tomorrow until Monday. And then I've got to work Tuesday also. So that's 6 days in a row of work including today. That means I'll have barely anytime to recover inbetween shifts. At least one day will help me to calm down. Every shift is 8 hours long and I simply won't be able to cope and recover. 

Also I feel pretty useless and an 'outcast' in a way. Everyone else can get through their jobs quickly. Whereas I get moaned at for being either too slow or doing something wrong.

My only day off for the next 7 days is christmas. I'm so worried, I'm thinking to tell my manager that I can't do one day just so I can have some rest bite. But I doubt I could live with the fact I've lied.

I can't tell my parents because the reason I've got this job is to try and make them proud if me for once. I quit my last job after one shift, and I felt awful because I'd let everyone close to me down. So I told myself that id get through this job to try and make them happy.

I'm sorry if it's all muddled. It's just my minds all over the place right now. I'm so scared. I'm alone. I have no one I can speak too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Struggling with work and myself
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
Hey Fuzyyy...  I can certainly understand your dilemma.  The last job I had utilized "mandatory overtime" on more than one occasion.  That always went over like a lead balloon.  I realize that this is the holiday season, the biggest time of the year for retailers, and it would be nice if you could help out the store that you are working at, but you also have to take care of yourself as well.  How you you feel about going to your boss, telling him that you want to help out, but that you are also just getting over a long illness, and would like a day or two off to recoup?  Do you think he would be open to that?  If you do think that you want to try to tackle all those days in a row, the thing to do is to try your best to stay in the moment, and just take one day at a time.  Don't say, "I have to work all the days in a row."  Say, "All I have to do is work today, just one eight hour shift, and then I have sixteen hours off!"  I hope that it works out for you.  The best to you!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 06:06:43 PM »
Hi, well I believe in trying to be as positive as possible, because I think it can help a person get through when all else fails. I say, you've made it this far so maybe tell yourself it will be over after the six days, then you can rest. I don't think we give ourselves enough credit sometimes, we're a lot tougher than we think :) Best of luck to you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Fuzyyy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 06:11:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply chuck!

I personally find my two bosses hard to talk to on say a personal level. I couldn't really talk to them about myself and my life if you understand what I mean. So I'd find it really difficult to explain to them what illness I have and how it affects me. I also get the sense that they'd think I was lying (this is because if some instances in my last couple of shifts and how they've moaned at me). Because of this I thought it would just be easier to say that I'm busy for one or two of those days and say I can't do them. But as I said I'm not sure if I could live with that.

Thank you Carrie :)

That thought of people with anxiety are stronger because of what we have to put up with daily has often come into my head. But there are something's I've simply had to walk away from because it was too much. You can call it giving up it being weak but that's just what I've had to do sometimes. Even if I do beat myself up afterwards.
Bookmark and Share

Online AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 10:35:08 AM »
Try to use the mindfulness approach. Take one shift at a time, don't think ahead to the cumulative impact of each shift. It's difficult during the holidays, I have sympathy for retail workers during this time of year. You can get through this. Make sure you take all breaks that you are entitled to, don't let them "work you through" your lunch. Take that time to have a nourishing meal with some protein, get off by yourself and take some deep breaths to recharge. You can do this!!! ;D
Bookmark and Share

Offline Fuzyyy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 06:14:45 PM »
Just an update :)

My shift today was a bit of a mixture of emotions to be honest. The first part of my shift, in the afternoon, was horrible. It was horrendously busy and all the managers were stressed as you can imagine. As a result I was getting moaned at quite a bit for the same reasons: I was either doing something wrong (I did get a few things wrong but not as much as I was getting moaned at for) and go faster. I got very upset and annoyed, and I mean very annoyed. To the point where I was considering just walking out. During my break I had a little walk outside the car park to calm me down and clear my head.

After my break mercifully things started to quiet down as it was the evening. And also my manager had gone home leaving me and another colleague who I got on with to finish our work at a relaxed pace. So after my break I was very happy.

I have the same shift tomorrow. If anything I'm expecting it to be worse as it's the Saturday before Christmas. But hopefully it'll get quiet during the last couple of hours of my shift again. In which case I'll be able to get through it :)

Oh and I managed to get Monday off which is a relief!
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
Congratulations! That makes me happy to know your day ended well---and you got through it! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 07:00:23 PM »
Hey Fuzyyy...  Thanks for the update.  You did a fantastic job; good for you!  Not only are you helping the store out, but you got Monday off to boot.  I am really happy for you.  Enjoy your evening.  The best to you!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Fuzyyy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 07:05:51 PM »
Thank you for the support guys! :) it really has helped me! I'll let you know how the next two shifts are :)

All the best and merry Christmas to you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 08:58:21 PM »
Merry Christmas to you too Fuzyyy!!
Bookmark and Share

Online AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text