Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Abnormal Pap Smear - Cerical Cancer Fear  (Read 310 times)

Offline MarineB

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Abnormal Pap Smear - Cerical Cancer Fear
« on: December 19, 2013, 04:28:29 PM »
Hi all - I had a pap smear last week that just came back abnormal. My gyno wants to do a colposcopy but is not too concerned. I had a pap last year around the same time and it was fine. I'm confused because I thought cervical cancer is caused by HPV. I was told I tested negative for HPV but that there were abnormal cells on the pap. Maybe one of you lovely ladies with any experience with this can shed some light? If I tested negative for HPV and had a normal pap just a year ago what are the odds this is cervical cancer or even pre-cancer? Can cervical cancer be caused by anything other than HPV?? The only symptoms I have the past few monhts are intermittent pelvic twinges mostly on the left side. They go away for a time and occasionally come back. Thanks in advance.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MarineB

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Abnormal Pap Smear - Cerical Cancer Fear
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 04:56:05 PM »
Anyone? Please?
Bookmark and Share

Offline MJF

• Rec's: 19
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 05:20:45 PM »
Hi MarineB,

You are right - almost all cervical cancer cases are caused by persistent HPV infection.  Which is why getting a yearly pap smear is so vital.

If you had an abnormal pap smear, my first question is what did the report say - ASCUS, LSIL, HGSIL,....?  If you tested negative for HPV AND the report says ASCUS or LSIL, then I personally would not lose any sleep over it.  Your doctor may just want to err on the side of caution with the colposcopy just to get a better look.   And if it turns out to be something more, they will effectively treat it and you will be fine.

HPV infections need to persist (and be of an oncogenic type. like HPV16, 18 or 45) to be an issue, and regardless normal (immune system-intact) women will typically resolve any HPV infections on their own.  Of course, follow up with your doctor and make sure everything is OK so you can have this out of your mind!
Bookmark and Share

Offline MarineB

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 06:54:51 PM »
Thank you MJF. I actually don't know what the repeat said because I was told over the phone. It was explained to me that there is low grade and high grade and mine was just "abnormal" so lower than low grade. So I don't know what to make of that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kazoo

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 07:07:04 PM »
Probably ASCUS.  I've had that a few times, and am also HPV negative.  I do not know why they would do a colposcopy for ASCUS… usually they just do a 6 month recheck and it has cleared up by then.  ASCUS is nothing to worry about!
Bookmark and Share

Offline MarineB

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 07:54:59 PM »
Thanks kazoo. After reading up on this I also thing it's probably ascus. I have colposcopy Monday in any case. Fingers crossed.
Bookmark and Share