Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Still have this Lymphoma Fear, Please help.  (Read 237 times)

Offline CrazyQuacker75

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Still have this Lymphoma Fear, Please help.
« on: December 19, 2013, 03:56:06 PM »
    Hello All, I'm a 20 year old male. sorry this is going to be a long post but please read it.
     Not to long ago I posted how I have had this fear of Lymphoma. The reason I'm so freaked out is I have two swollen lymph nodes in my neck, one is about the size of a pea and squishy, that one I'm not concerned about. The one I am concerned about is the exact same one but on the opposite side of the neck. I'm concerned because it's about 2 cm's long, 1 cm wide, and protrudes about a .5 cm maybe less. It's pretty hard though, but is very mobile, hasn't really grown past this but hasn't really shrunk either(in my opinion), and was a bit tender at times in the beginning, but it mostly radiated pain for a bit in the neck, but not anymore. I was put on a round of antibiotics because he thought I had an small Upper Respiratory Infection, it seemed to help the pea sized one, which was about the same size as the larger one is now, but I'm not sure about the larger one, My GP say's it did go down but I can't tell if he is just saying that. I do feel it is a good sign that it isn't growing and the same one on the opposite side is swollen also. I do admit I poke the bigger one a lot which would make it stick around, but would that make it hard? I've had these lymph nodes about a month, and 2 two weeks after the antibiotics.
     My GP is really frustrating me because he refuses to look at the possibility of it being lymphoma, I have asked several times to have a CT scan done or even an ultra sound, but he refuses. I tried to get a referral to see an ENT, and he refuses, and I don't have the money to see one without a referral because of my insurance. I feel like he does't take me seriously and is to arrogant to let me see an ENT. I like him and all but, he's supper young so maybe he doesn't have any experience yet with bad nodes. I have expressed my concern to him but all he has done is give me a referral for a psychologist(something we both agreed on). I know there is a protocol on suspect lymphoma and besides the antibiotics my GP has stopped there.
     Everyone around me is telling me I'm fine, and I'm trying not to upset my mom because I've been driving her crazy with my health anxiety, I really want to talk to her about getting a second opinion, but I'm afraid to anger her or worry her because she thinks I haven't been worried as much lately which is somewhat true, but I still have these periods like right now. I'm just tired of making my family and friends worried because I'm worried. People keep saying that I want something to be wrong with me, but I just want to make sure I'm healthy.
Symptoms
Fever: no
Fatigue: yes a few weeks ago but has gone away.
Night sweats: no
Itching: Yes but after I found out it was a symptom
Chest pain/Trouble breathing: Yes but mainly from anxiety because it started when I was anxious and is starting to go away.
Aches/pains yes but off and on and are starting to go away.
Red skin: yes but not near the lymph nodes
Had normal Bloodwork on suspected anemia, and the lymph nodes were found the day I got the results back.
I really really need some support and advice right now, I feel so lost, and I know this forum is great for that, and thats why i really can express myself here. Please please please respond if you read this. Don't be afraid of being harsh, it might be what I need.
Have a great day.
Bookmark and Share
In the race against myself

Offline jdavies

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Still have this Lymphoma Fear, Please help.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 11:38:50 AM »
Hi there....I know your pain and struggle with this ...a few years ago I had an enlarged lymph node in my neck and was terrified it was lymphoma...I worked in veterinary medicine and we constantly diagnosed lymphoma in animals from enlarged lymph nodes so my anxiety was sky high...went to the doctor - he said if it didn't go down then they would send me for a biopsy but to give it at least a month to go down.....well now my anxiety was through the roof!  S o of course I was palpating the lymph nodes constantly all day all night and what happened....of course they go bigger......the doctor told me not to touch them as that would make them become inflamed as well.......guess what I left them alone and voila about a month later they were fine.....lymph nodes that are cancerous are indeed hard and I mean hard like a ping pong ball and they don't move around much.....I promise you that you are fine....if the doctor really thought there was an issue he would absolutely send you for tests...the problem with health anxiety is that we don't find reassurance easily.  I can tell you the best thing I ever did for my health anxiety was to go on meds and for therapy....it changed my life.....also look at children who get huge lymph nodes when they get sick, but that is a normal immune response .....please stop worrying over this .....I have been through this exactly and everything was fine!
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrazyQuacker75

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Still have this Lymphoma Fear, Please help.
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 09:37:54 PM »
Thank you for your kind words, I'm getting better with it. The thought just occasionally comes back lately instead of me focusing on it, when I wrote that post it was one of my bad days.
Bookmark and Share
In the race against myself

Tags: