Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: switching from clonazepam to xanax  (Read 275 times)

Offline laineyk

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
switching from clonazepam to xanax
« on: December 19, 2013, 02:13:39 PM »
my story is so long I couldn't even try to tell it. But long story short Zoloft had pooped out on me a two years ago this coming march. I have come off it and went back on it. I have tried every different dose..NADA for anxiety.

Had to start taking Xanax which really helped and then switched to clonazepam which helped also. Have now been on clonazepam for a year straight everyday.

I had two gut infections that were treated and then was dx with Fibromyalgia along with IBS

I have felt so lethargic and sluggish on the clonazepam, so talked with Dr this past Tuesday and besides weaning off the Zoloft and switching to Cymbalta, we thought that we would try Xanax and see if it had a less tireing effect on me. Because its either the clonazepam or my fibromyalgia.

So last night I took my regular dose of clonazepam (.5mgs) at 10:00pm and this morning I took .5mg Xanax at 9:30am

my question is this, how long before the clonazepam is completely out of my system so I will know if the Xanax has the same effect or not.
and although the dr said it was safe to switch right from one to the other...IS IT REALLY?

my clonazepam dose has been .5mg BID 12 hours apart. script was written for TID but never take that amount.

Xanax has been written the same way .5mgs TID , going to try to only take BID

maybe I should cut pills in half and take .25mg 4xs a day?

PLEASE anyone with background with these meds I need your advice. I can not function like this and haven't for over a year (not been able to work)   :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: switching from clonazepam to xanax
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 04:38:05 PM »
my question is this, how long before the clonazepam is completely out of my system so I will know if the Xanax has the same effect or not.

It depends on how quickly you metabolize it, but the worst case is 11 days for every last molecule to be eliminated, however, the sedation should stop much earlier, within 3 days or so.

the dr said it was safe to switch right from one to the other...IS IT REALLY?

Yes. They do exactly the same thing and their potency us about the same.

my clonazepam dose has been .5mg BID 12 hours apart. script was written for TID but never take that amount.
Xanax has been written the same way .5mgs TID , going to try to only take BID
maybe I should cut pills in half and take .25mg 4xs a day

Taking 0.25mg 4x a day would be the equivalent of what you're now getting from Klonopin and be better than taking 0.5mg BID as the short Xanax half-life may result in plasma levels of the drug falling too low to be effective in the hours before the next dose.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline laineyk

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 06:12:32 PM »
I called the pharmacist and she said that the effect of the clonazepam would be gone within 24-36 hours. so I am hoping that's what happens.

today I have felt as sluggish as I have been on the clonazepam....so guess its a wait and see game.

I agree with the .25mg 4xs a day....because then if I feel like I don't need a dose I can go without it  :yes:   That would make me somewhat happy

Insights thank you sooo very much for all your help and encouragment
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 06:32:35 PM »
I agree with the .25mg 4xs a day....because then if I feel like I don't need a dose I can go without it     That would make me somewhat happy

Sure, if it works for you. The point of taking meds is to eliminate anxiety, or at least limit it to occasional breakthrough attacks. So take the minimum benzodiazepine dose that achieves this.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline brendab1223

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 07:51:57 PM »
I recently switched clonazepam (Klonopin) to Xanax. Don't have the sluggish effect I had with clonazepam. I've only been on Xanax for just over a week. Much better results.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: