Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Cancelled my CT.. Bad idea?  (Read 358 times)

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Cancelled my CT.. Bad idea?
« on: December 19, 2013, 02:21:04 AM »
So after experiencing different headache for the last two weeks with no other symptoms other than a high bp, I insisted on being referred for a ct as I worried re a tumour.. It's booked for this morning but I'm thinking i'm stupid to go through the exposure to radiation and have an MRI instead? I won't get results before Xmas anyway so shall I just wait for MRI which is safer and more thorough after Xmas? My headaches feel like tension/pressure right on the top of my head.. Always there but not unbearable...
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppyvic12

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Cancelled my CT.. Bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 03:22:39 AM »
Hi hun, sounds like tension headaches! Is the pain releived when you apply heat to it? Or take panadol?

Your not silly for cancelling ur CT scan, though I dont think there is anything for you to worry about, easier said than done I know. Just get a new referal for the new year and in the mean time work on some relaxing strategies for ur tension headaches x  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pichooi

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 04:34:52 AM »
Depends if you don't have the CT will you spend longer stressing ? The wait can be the hardest part.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 07:45:31 AM »
Thanks for your replies.

I decided to cancel it because something was telling me I shouldn't go ahead with it. Not only was I concerned re the radiation, I also worried that I would think an MRI was more thorough and want both!

I haven't applied heat directly to my head... do you mean apply heat to my neck? The pain is like right at the top of my head and it isn't really painful but it's just there like a dull ache, almost like it feels hot/ or when you've had your hair up for too long (if you're a girl you'll understand!). Today I have been feeling nauseous and my right ear is blocked.. I can hear myself breathing through it if that makes sense. I just want to feel better and feel normal again for Christmas! I've taken Paracetamol which is the same as Panadaol I guess and it's made no difference!
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 73
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 08:30:38 AM »
My motto is to stay away from as many tests as possible, but test all avenues to calm the troublemakers on the inside.

One of my distractions and pleasures is cooking soup and eating plenty of it. Sometimes we are simply dehydrated. Finding what you like to do will discourage the pain and thoughts of tests. Drink plenty of water, tea, juice. Find time to go for a walk outdoors, see the sky, breathe the air, smell the dried leaves and earth, we still see and hear geese. Can be relaxing and refreshing. Just some thoughts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 08:36:11 AM »
If that were me I'd definitely cancel the CT scan and I wouldn't go for an MRI either.  It sounds like a tension, stress headache.  What has your doctor said about it? I think your reaction might be a bit severe for a headache, but I know how HA works.

Like today I am going to my doctor for a rash on my face because in my mind it is going to spread all over my face.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 08:54:37 AM »
Thanks again guys, it really helps to talk to someone about things who actually understands!

I have never had this issue before, I am a bit of a worrier but not to this extreme. Just recently my ex bf had a heart attack aged just 27 and he died. It kind of shocked me and made me question everything. I work in a hospital so I am always hearing and writing about horrible things. I also hear ambulances and it makes me feel sick! A few weeks back I started getting headaches in a different place to where i'd been experiencing them so it freaked me out. I went to my GP who said it's obviously anxiey and to calm down (easier said than done). That night half my face and arm went tingly, I went to A&E and they said I had high BP caused by anxiety.. checked eyes etc and all ok.. told me to forget about the headache and again calm down! I then went for a proper eye test as well, they checked behind eyes said any tumour or bleed would be visible and obvious.. again all ok.

For some reason I must have googled brain tumour, then got it in my head without any other symptoms that this must be the only reasonable explanation! I went to the GP again to request something to sort BP out as he again said it was high but didn't believe I was anxious (he doesn't know me!) and he gave me Propranolol which i'm taking 10mg three times a day. He also referred me for a CT because I asked and wrote on the form 'headache.. very worried re tumour'. He was a really horrible GP and really blunt and nasty with me. Insisted I wasn't anxious and he couldn't explain my high BP! This didn't reassure me! That made me wonder why my BP is high, but the fact I have thought about a brain tumour for over 3 weeks solidly.. probably says something about my anxiety levels!!

I've been trying to get on as normal at work etc but these headaches are just there constantly and are making me worry. It's a vicious circle.. the more I worry the worse my head is. I CANNOT RELAX! I have self help books but with a headache who wants to read?! I want to be excited for xmas.. I love xmas and we're going away but instead I have it in my head that this may be my last xmas if I have a tumour etc etc. I also just ate my 24th December advent chocolate because I had a chocolate craving, and then worried that I have cursed myself not to make it to Christmas! Now this is getting bloody stupid!

So I emailed the consultant I work for (only perk of the job) asking if he can request an MRI instead... not heard back.

I feel worse today, although I had been getting better over the last few days. Not sure if this is the thought of a scan and the results... or the fact I was having my CT today I assumed i'd get the results there and then and it would be normal therefore i'd be ok. In reality I would have had the CT, not got the results until after xmas and felt the same.

My god I am going on aren't I! I am at work... meant to be typing letters but I can't concentrate on anything but THIS.!!!!!

greend... your rash thing, If it weren't for HA.. you'd wait and see if it spread then deal with it.! I should relax, wait for my headache to go away... then be reassured! IMPOSSIBLE!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 12:13:21 PM »
So I've not been able to arrange an MRI and won't here now until after Xmas. The not knowing is making me feel so anxious. My head has been bad again like right on the crown it's like pressure. I've also been nauseous. Just when I think I'm getting better and coping.. The head reminds me where this all came from and I freak again! It's been nearly three weeks now.. I just want my head to stop hurting! The pain has never been unbearable.. Just 'there' I hope it being the weekend will help me relax!
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 03:17:07 PM »
High blood pressure itself will cause headaches. Has your doctor worked with you on getting this under control? I wouldn't recommend an MRI at this point.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 05:10:56 PM »
I have had an MRI of my head and three of my abdomen and they are no big deal.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Natsab87

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 05:20:14 PM »
At ER they said bp high due to being anxious although I've been told it's not high enough to cause headaches! It's so frustrating as I just want the old me back without a headache and these negative thoughts...
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 06:48:46 PM »
What was your blood pressure reading?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jazeraca

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 09:22:06 PM »
A couple of hours years ago I would wake up in the morning with the worst headache ever, violent vomiting and trouble with vision in my right eye. Defining symptoms of a brain tumor according to the internet. I had a CT scan and I was freaking out until I got the results. I did not have a brain tumor. In fact, the doc isn't sure what caused it. It did go away after a couple of weeks.

I am telling you this to put your headache into perspective. I had more symptoms than you. It really sounds like you have a normal tension headache. Cancel the CT/MRI, get your bp under control and drink some tea. I highly doubt you have a brain tumor.
Bookmark and Share
Dx: GAD, HA, BPD. LPR and peptic ulcer. Possible fibro.

Offline Natsab87

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 05:39:22 AM »
Well it's Christmas eve and I don't want to worrying about the headache but it's worse than ever! We are meant to be going to Newcastle today on a train which takes 6 hours but with the awful weather we're having here right now, we might not be going or we might attempt to go and get stranded.. I am currently at work, finishing off some letters looking at a computer screen wondering what the weather/day will bring... where we are going to be for xmas...so I guess I am anxious about that.

I had a head massage on Saturday as well as reflexology and neck massage.. it hasn't helped. I have been taking Paracetamol, Ibuprofen and even codeine with no effect. I have tried having a relaxing bath, applying heat to my neck etc etc! I have neck ache today and I can feel I am tense. The pain is either right at the crown of my head, the back of my head or right now it's move to my forehead, around my eyes and my nose. I suppose if it was a brain tumour it wouldn't move so much.. or would it? I am pretty sure it is a tension headache and I need to convince my brain of this! I just don't know how to relax and get rid of it. The minute the pain comes, I worry and it's a vicious circle...

Please can someone offer some advice to get me through Christmas without having a panic attack!

BTW my bp was 126/85 on Monday.. not really that high to cause headaches I wouldn't think. I am on Propranolol 10mg three times a day.

ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED!!  ::)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: