Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I feel alone and afraid of my future  (Read 134 times)

Offline Friday13

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I feel alone and afraid of my future
« on: December 18, 2013, 07:27:17 PM »
Hello all. I am a 40 year old husband and father of 2 young children. I had a great life, am fit and very active. I have a wonderful marriage and am financially secure. Despite this, on Friday Sept 13, I suffered a panic attack completely out of the blue. My life has been turned upside ever since. It seems lie 24 hours a day I am suffering from some sort of symptom including depersonalization, derealization, panic, numb face and hands, nausea, dizziness, light headedness, blurred vision, fatigue, chills/tingling across my shoulders and back and more.

I was put on Klonopin, then Lexapro (Which I stopped taking). Nothing seems to help. I have been paying a fortune for CBT for several weeks now, and I am in fact breaking one of the rules by signing up here and reaching out. After my panic attack I believe I perpetuated the entire situation by reading several books and researching the situation to death. This situation has literally consumed my life. I have stopped all the "googling" and research and forum reading at the advice of my CBT therapist.. until tonight.

This has been the worst 3 months of my life. I went from a perfectly happy husband and father with great family and friends to a complete mess.

I feel these physical symptoms ALL day, all the time. I am desperately looking for someone who can relate to my story and has RECOVERED. I need a success story. I need to know there is hope. I need to know I will not be like this forever. I need to know I am on the right track with the CBT which only seems to preach "Let it Be", and "just accept the feelings".

I have been trying so hard to recover. Maybe too hard. My therapist says I will not recover until I stop trying to recover. Someone please give me some hope. Someone please direct me to someone like me who beat this.

I need hope.
Bookmark and Share

Offline daisyg011

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I feel alone and afraid of my future
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 12:49:50 AM »
hello!
my sister suffers from severe panic attacks ever since she was 14 years old, and is currently taking cymbalta/xanax to ease herself.. she suffers from depersonalization/derealization, depression and other factors in which you suffer from as well, and is difficult for her to walk outside without her panic attack being triggered. it is very difficult for me and herself especially to overcome her agoraphobia due to this..
it was until this december in which she was advised by her counselor to take relaxation therapy/breathing techniques for a month in which her dosage of cymbalta was reduced to twice per week rather than everyday. she doesn't take xanax often (once/twice every two days was the usual amount. now she takes once per week in case of an emergency) the therapy session really really helped her out and she feels in control and at ease when her panic attack strikes. it probably sounds cheeky and fake, but it really has helped out alot compared to years ago, so more than likely she will stop taking any medication for her panic attacks in the future. you could look into breathing techniques or some form of yoga inorder to stay control when your attacks strikes. i hope this has helped!
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 151
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 05:26:14 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Friday13

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 01:17:40 PM »
Thanks Guys. Yes, I have been working hard with CBT and meditation and breathing. I suppose it will take a while to see any results. I will post in the Panic Disorder Forum. Thanks for the tip
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nd84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 04:54:17 PM »
There is hope!  I know exactly his you feel!  Here's the crazy thing, as fast as your anxiety came into your life is as fast as it can go!  I suffered from some debilitating attacks when I was 20.  At that time I thought they were going to last forever but sure enough, they went away!  The key to remember is your anxiety is all controlled by YOU!  It's nothing physical, it's mental.  Here's another great thing I learned if you worry about a fast beating heart like I did..your heart was made to last!  It can beat very fast for a very long time without even causing it damage.  It is a muscle that will only give out if you have a very serious problem.  If you went to the doc and checked out fine, you're fine.  I know it's scary and it seems like it will last forever but it won't..trust me.  It's hard to not get depressed with those stupid attacks but don't let them win!  Laugh at your anxiety and let it know that you're stronger than it and it can't stop you!  Feel free to message me with anymore thoughts!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: