Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Does anyone tell their partners?  (Read 717 times)

Offline nancyga13

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Does anyone tell their partners?
« on: December 18, 2013, 06:48:36 PM »
So its been quite a few years since I have experienced the OCD intrusive thought thing!! I had it before I met my fiancÚ which was seven years ago!! I told him about one of my thoughts he did not react like I was crazy or anything but i'm afraid to tell him all of my intrusive thoughts because he tries to understand my anxiety but I don't think he knows anything about intrusive thoughts and the ones I get. I am afraid he will wanna admit me somewhere if I tell him things I think sometimes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does anyone tell their partners?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 12:13:45 AM »
Tell your partner romantic things and how much fun he is to be around.  Compliment him regularly about how good he makes you feel and how lucky you are to have him as a partner.

Tell your obsessive, intrusive and neurotic thoughts to your psychiatrist, so he can prescribe the appropriate psychotropic medication that will allow your brain to control them.

Your partner is not your psychiatrist, he is your partner.  And your psychiatrist is not your partner, he is your psychiatrist. 
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 03:56:29 PM »
I tell both my psychiatrist and my fiancee about my intrusive thoughts. It helps me to talk about it, and my fiancee helps me to reason through them and get them out of my brain between appointments. I've found it's really helpful for me to talk to him about the intrusive thoughts that I get. He understands the disorder and understands me and has chosen to love me unconditionally despite it. So I'm open with him. It helps him to know what I'm going through because since we're together, he's along for the ride.  :yes:

Edit: *But*, if you're worried about how he'll react, I wouldn't push yourself to talk to him about it. You don't have to and are in no way obligated to. You know your psychiatrist will understand, but not necessarily him. It's a hard disorder to really *get* unless you're going through it or very well educated on it.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline Evangeline

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 09:39:56 PM »
I tell my partner everything because he wants me to. He goes to my appts with me, He supports me and wishes to play a part in my recovery. He also can tell when there's something wrong so I can't really hide it all that well.

Not every relationship is like mine. If you fear how he is going to react, Then I'd probably take to writing or something rather then sharing. If he asks, Be honest. As long as he knows the situation, he is kind of along for the roller coaster

Bookmark and Share

Offline Cilantro

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 12:33:20 AM »
I think gradual exposure to mental health issues and how they work is a good idea. It's very startling to someone who doesn't know anything about them to be met with a list of all the bizarre and painful things others go through that might be invisible to the outside world, but people in love will want to understand. People in general just aren't very good at understanding how others think, so it takes time.

My boyfriend has OCPD, so I don't have any concerns this time around.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Powerslave1724

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 07:57:48 PM »
It ultimately depends on the relationship you have with your partner. My wife has been with me since freshman year of high school. We are both 30 now. She knows all about it and I tell her all of my issues (sometimes to the point of driving her insane  :laugh3:). She knows how hard it is to live with. I'm lucky enough where she understands and is there for me for that reassurance I need with my OCD. It's all about trust. We trust each other without question and tell each other everything. Having an open relationship like that has not only helped me deal with my OCD, but has made our relationship stronger as well.

Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousAlways

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 06:29:48 PM »
I try to communicate as much as possible with partner so that he can understand why I do what I do. I think that it helps a ton. He can tell when I start spiraling into anxiety and can tell me that I have passed into the scary zone. Now that he realizes what is going on he empowered and not helpless and he knows I'm doing things because I am anxious about something.
Bookmark and Share

Offline maginno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 09:42:31 AM »
My spouse knows about my issues, but doesn't know the content, nor does she ask.  She knows they are violent and disturbing, but she trusts and knows that they are things I cannot control right now and I try not to let her see me fight them.  She knows I don't want to act on them and I know if I ever started feeling these were ok thoughts then I would call my doctor immediately.  We leave it at that.  IF she wanted to know she would ask and I'm not going to force her to hear them.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: