Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Possible Link Between Posture and Twitches?  (Read 386 times)

Offline gvjaguar

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Possible Link Between Posture and Twitches?
« on: December 18, 2013, 06:44:45 PM »
Hello there fellow twitchers,

Just thought I would raise a quick question to everyone out there and look for some feedback. I'll preface everything with my own experience briefly.

About a month and a half ago I took a job working part time at a local retail store as a cashier after classes in college. While this job isn't hard, I didn't realize all the standing around would make my feet and back hurt so much, probably because I was wearing dress shoes which had NO support what so ever. Well, during the first few weeks I started working there, I started to develop muscle twitches in my thighs, calves, feet, and even in my back and lower shoulders. Since I start to wear better shoes and stood up straight, the twitching of my legs do not happen while I am working. However, after work, when I'm resting, my legs have random twitches in my calves, below my knee, occasionally my feet, and thighs sometimes.

Since I can stand for hours on end with no problem, obvious I don't have MS or ALS right? I figured if I had either of those diseases I would have noticed serious weakness by now, not to mention I have had anxiety issues my whole life, as well as my mother, my uncle, and my aunt. Therefore, is the added stress on my lower back and legs, in addition to anxiety and worrying about my condition all the time, be causing the muscle twitches throughout my body?

None of my body was twitching before I started this job, and I feel like the fact I wore bad shoes for the first month had a significant impact on my body in addition to constant anxiety. Anyways, thanks for reading this and any input, I really do appreciate any responses I get from the community and the support from everyone. This forum is a God-send.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pichooi

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Possible Link Between Posture and Twitches?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 08:06:04 PM »
I don't know but I like the theory. If you have seen improvement it may very well be. Also you may have been more nervous in your first month which could have also caused twitches.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 10:34:52 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I'm not quite sure if my muscle twitches are the result of a back strain or previous injuries, but ever since I quit wearing bad shoes and stood up straight instead of slouching, my twitches don't happen at work or while I'm standing. If I can run and walk just fine with no weakness, then the muscle twitches MUST benign, right? Sometimes, if I put a pillow in just the right spot when I lay down at night in my lumbar area, the twitches in my legs are drastically reduced, making me think it must be a pinched nerve due to strain it something. I feel that worrying about it so much has exacerbated the issue and caused twitches all over. Idk, anybody else have  this problem and saw improvement with certain changes? I just want these twitches to stop
Bookmark and Share

Offline utahguy058

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 11:58:40 PM »
Yes, Yep, Absolutely. Twitches can be caused by posture. There are many different ways this can happen. I think that you can have inflammation of the muscles, or inflammation of nerves, or even some change in alignment of spine which can push on nerves and cause twitching. It could be coming from anywhere above the twitches, and even slightly below. I find that sitting, and standing, and walking can all alter my twitching. I also feel that anxiety adds to the twitching. I also feel that with any doubt that yours are benign. I am not a doctor, nor have you in person, but if you can walk on your tip toes, or your heels then you do not have ALS, end of discussion. It is possible that there could be some nerve irritation from standing for such long hours, or from running and doing strenuous activity. Either way it is benign and nothing to worry about. Anxiety is making it worse as anxiety works directly on the central nervous system. You can show them off as a cool stupid human trick to all your friends, make light of them, for I have no doubt yours are not disease related.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jmcewan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 04:00:42 AM »
A major misconception about ALS twitiching is that its an indicator or warning signal. ALS muscle twitching occurs once the damage is done. The twitching is basically the muscles swan song before it dies. You would KNOW  by now if it was ALS.

Another thing about als twitches is that they tend to be prettt small. According to posts I've read from actual patients, the DRs had to use black lights to see them, then they can get bigger depending on muscle size. If you can actually see and feel the muscle twitch and jump, especially without clinical weakness, you can 99.99% of the time rule out als.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 11:34:49 AM »
Thanks to both of you for replying. I guess if I really had either of these diseases I would KNOW, not just have these sensations and feel like there's something wrong. So the body wide twitching is a good sign it's something else that's not a neuro nasty? It's so annoying and I want it to stop. Whenever I'm standing and what not, I don't really have any twitches at all, which makes me think it must have something to do with my spine alignment or a pinched or irritated nerve somewhere in my body.

Thanks for clearing that up about ALS, Dr. Google fails to tell you just how and when the twitching symptom manifests itself, which is a reason I'll never be using it to look up symptoms again haha. I'm 21 years old, there really isn't a chance for me to even get ALS, even though my anxiety and fear tell me otherwise. I guess I just have to keep all of this in perspective.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jmcewan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 02:41:30 PM »
No worries. I highly recommend the site aboutbfs.com for anyone with als and ms worries. They go into deep detail about those diseases, how rare they actually are (als is so rare research is actually underfunded).

I'm a huge new orleans saints fan and a couple years ago former player steve Gleason was diagnosed with als around the same time I first began twitching. Needless to say I began to think that's what I had and the more half assed research I did on als thru google and webmd the worse my anxiety got and in return the worse my twitching became. Aboutbfs was a godsend
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
Yeah, I've been told to check out that website before, I may just do exactly that if it helps ease anxiety. When I first started getting twitches, I was 18 and going through an extremely tough psychologically unbearable time period in my life, these two events must have gone hand in hand, not too mention I'm too young to get ALS (I'm only 21 now.)

I remember seeing something about Steve Gleason on ESPN a few months ago and that scared me to death. But if it's true that ALS doesn't present with muscle twitches, especially ones that you can see and feel like mine, I suppose I have nothing to worry about. If I never read Tuesdays With Morrie I probably would have been a lot better off than I am now haha. Even though it's so rare, the horror stories and hearing about it from books or the TV absolutely scare the sh*t out of me haha.

I have a habit of thinking that I would of course be the only exception and get one of these diseases, but I have to remind myself that I'm only 21, in great shape, and there's body-wide twitches, nothing localized, which is inconsistent with presenting symptoms of either MS or ALS.

Did your twitches ever calm down eventually? If so, what did you do to calm yourself? Thanks again for the reply!
Bookmark and Share

Offline jmcewan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 07:49:09 PM »
Yeah, the have calmed down quite a bit from the first time i got them. When they first started it was chaos for about 4 months.

In September 2011 I began getting reald bad back spasms; but chalked it up to the heavy labor i did for work. Of course this is when everything with Steve Gleason began to hit the media and my first twitches and worries about the disease took rise.

October I was oncall for the whole month for wildfires and had to be ready to leave the state with in a couple hours notice + I was a month away from getting married.

Novemeber I had to take 2 weeks without pay for my wedding/honeymoon.

andabout 2 weeks before Christmas, I just finished a contract job and had nothing else lined up, I threw out my back, my car battery, altenator and suspension were toast and my wife wanted to start house shopping amongst other things.

My anxiety was through the roof just a touch at this point. My twitches were so intense I could almost hear them. They were in my shoulder, Butt, Thighs, Calves, Arms, Lips and eyelids. The muscles in my shoulder vibrated with the fury of a groovy funk bassline. Around this time I discovered AboutBFS.com and the link between BFS and obviously the anxiety I was going though. They almost immediately stopped at that point. I still get them on occassion; but usually when I am stressed or annoyed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 09:20:22 PM »
Wow, I give you mad props for putting up with everything that you did and keeping your head up for doing so. You obviously had a lot of stress from life and its no wonder you had the symptoms you did. You actually sound very similar to me in terms of the twitching. I have them everywhere and they are no doubt related to anxiety. I did a roofing job over the summer and had to haul 100+ pound backs if shingles up a ladder, and being a whole 5'8" I wonder if I did something to my back. Since I started working at Kmart ad a cashier, the bad shoes I user to wear would cause lower back strain and my thighs and calves and quads would twitch. Now they hardly twitch at all while I'm at work, so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

I noticed today that when my left hand is bent while using the keyboard, my pinky would visibly twitch, which also makes me think I have a pinched nerve somewhere in my arm. These muscle twitches scare the hell out of me, I guess I wanted to make sure that none of it wad indicative of ALS, I'm so done with this haha. I figured I would have shown significant symptoms by now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 10:29:49 PM »
when I go through a lot of anxiety, I subconsciously tense my chest. Since my breathing gets shallow too, it causes problems - ive spent a lot of my life singing, so im not at all used to breathing by expanding my upper chest. So the muscles get really screwey when it happens.

This makes my upper chest twitch, and is often the start of the positive feedback.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 01:56:39 PM »
Yeah the whole subconscious tensing of the muscles is what is getting me now. I have twitches all over my body, particular in my calves, knees, shoulder, arms, occasionally the hand, and it seems to be made worse by unease and stress. Even though I feel calm, I still twitch because my body must be out of whack from worrying so much. I just hope that I can get to a state where I no longer twitch. Since these twitches started years ago and I dont have the best of posture habits, I'm going to go ahead and assume whatever I had is benign since there is no weakness.

I've been taking a Cal/Mag/Zinc/Vit. D and Magnesium (oxide) supplement but it hasn't really made much of a difference that I've noticed. I'm not sure if it's not getting absorbed or not, but I keep taking it just in case it decides to work.

The weird thing is that while I'm on my feet and work for 4-8 hours at a time, I don't have any twitches and such everything is just fine. Obviously if I can do all this I don't have ALS or MS.. I'm hoping. My psyche is just so broken right now from the last month or so that I feel it will just take time to get back to normal. If anyone had any success in decreasing the twitches, I'd love to hear it. I think it would really help calm me down, thanks again guys.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 02:12:06 PM »
Definitely this can cause muscle twitches.  Basically your muscles are constantly turned "on" and don't really get a break throughout all the hours they're supporting you.  Once you sit down and they can relax, they start twitching.  It's totally normal and nothing to be concerned about.  It's the same reason why runners often have leg twitches after a marathon.  You're fine!
Bookmark and Share
Sokka: "Do you want me to be like you or be totally honest?"
Katara: "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
Sokka: "No, I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing really."
(This is me and my husband to a tee)

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 02:41:58 PM »
Yeah, definitely. I just wish I knew why my back and arms and stuff spasm occasionally as well. I have noticed that my left hand twitches whenever I use my laptop's cooling paid (which bends my wrist upwards) after a period of time, I'm hoping it's just carpal tunnel or something, because when I don't use it my hand pretty much stops.

Ughhh I hate these random twitches. This has killed my holiday spirit lol.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 03:05:57 PM »
Well your back muscles are postural support muscles so they're also kicked in majorly when you're on your feet all day, not just your leg muscles.  And I personally don't think occasional twitching is anything to be concerned about.  I'm sure if you really had MS or ALS, which is highly unlikely, there would be no doubt in your mind and you'd have further trouble symptoms.  Try to ENJOY Christmas and not worry so much (easier said than done, believe me I KNOW!).  I really am positive you're fine.
Bookmark and Share
Sokka: "Do you want me to be like you or be totally honest?"
Katara: "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
Sokka: "No, I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing really."
(This is me and my husband to a tee)

Tags: