Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Another boil  (Read 396 times)

Offline Brody108

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Another boil
« on: December 18, 2013, 04:33:47 AM »
It's 3am and I'm freaking out!!!! I can't stop shaking I'm so nervous.

I woke up and start randomly inspecting my right leg (not playing with myself) and I noticed a nodule under my skin on my the back of my thigh. I had one of these in the summer and was told it's just a little furuncle. Antibiotics I was given the first time didn't help but I just let it sit there and it later became an abscess. It's in the same area this time too. May not be exact, but in the same area for sure.

Of course, I'm freaking out about HIV. I've been having issues with this leg all year. First the furuncle turned abscess, then the ring worm, and now another furuncle. Why is my immune system getting so weak. I haven't had any other types of infections, but skin issues have been plaguing me this year.

I'm so scared I'm gonna die soon and that my 3 HIV tests were false negatives. I know getting HIV from oral sex is pretty much impossible and having a false negative is almost impossible (much less 3...plus one was at least 3 years after sexual encounter), but I'm just a ball of nerves. What if I've been living these past 8 years HIV positive and haven't bee taking meds? I haven't been sickly at all since my last sexual encounter in 2005 but all of a sudden I'm having these skin infections. Will meds be able to reverse the damage caused if I am positive and waited this long?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Another boil
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 06:37:59 AM »
When we are depressed and anxious our immune systems can be a lot lower than normal. We can pick up things a lot easier. Just visit a doctor. Explain you had it before and what happened before with it. Tell the doctor your fears. Though I very much doubt the whole HIV thing. That is just something your mind is set on. 3 tests. All negative. I would be happy with that. So pay your doctor a visit.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline utahguy058

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 01:01:36 PM »
I don't know how to tell you this, other than you have an exactly zero percent chance of having HIV. ZERO!!! A boil on the skin can be cause be a billion things, of course most common is an ingrown hair. If you had been living with HIV for 8 years you would be talking all kinds of issues happening in your body. You would be dealing with a wide array of opportunistic infections. At 8 years living with HIV you would not produce a false negative. No way, no how! After 6 months of exposure you can be 100 percent certain that your test is accurate. You are dealing with health anxiety though. That is much more debilitating than HIV. It takes an average person 8 to 10 years to reach the stage of AIDS. This is a stage of severe compromised immune system where you start to get severe illnesses not seen in the general population. A boil is not one of these. Boils are common in the entire adult population. You would have soaking night sweats, severe weight loss, pneumonia's, HIV related cancers, AIDS dementia, and the list goes on.

HOWEVER!!! Even if you did get to the stage of AIDS and had been living untreated with this infection for 8 years the answer is yes! You are not dead, they can treat a lot of the opportunistic infections and medicines will take the virus in the body and suppress it allowing recovery of some of the immune system. No it will not recover to full capacity, but it will recover and you will live decades longer on treatment. HOWEVER, you are not in this boat at all!!! You do not have HIV, your tests are completely accurate. Oral sex is an incredibly difficult way to contract the virus. You do not have HIV. No way, no how, no chance in a million years. Also remember that HIV in 2013 is not a death sentence. It is not disabling. People with HIV today live completely fulfilling normal lives. They run marathons, they live old and retire from their jobs, they have families, they are politicians, they are grandparents, they are your neighbor, your teacher, your policeman. It is important to recognize that HIV is not a disease to take lightly, but on the same regards it is not a death sentence and for most it is not a disabling disease in 2013. Treat your anxiety and your fear over HIV. You do not have HIV, take peace in that, and know that if you did that there is excellent treatment for it and a normal life and life span is expected for those who do have the illness.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lemonlimeskull

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Tired of being afraid....
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 02:29:12 PM »
I have boils constantly and currently have ringworm. I'm right now, on antibiotics to treat a boil that cropped up on my jaw that was the size of a quarter. Its been suggested to me too, that stress is weakening my immune system. I have never had sexual contact in my life but I do donate blood. The last time was October and they test for HIV, according to the Red Cross website they have to inform you if you come back positive. Since they've never done that to me I'm negative put still get infections. Plus like utahguy said there are a billion causes for boils. I know its hard to think of it like that, I worry so much myself so I understand.
Bookmark and Share
I think I'm afraid of being happy because whenever I get too happy something bad always happens. ― Charles M. Schulz

Offline Kimdrah

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 03:34:55 PM »
I have boils, sometimes 5 at a time and I do not have Hiv. Your fine.
Bookmark and Share
The Dalai Lama,was most surprised by Man.He sacrifices his health to make money. He sacrafices money for his health,he is so anxious about the future so he does not enjoy the present, he does not live in the present or the future,he thinks he will never die, then he dies having never lived.

Offline Brody108

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 01:17:49 AM »
Thank you all so much! I think I will still go to the doc to get some antibiotics for it.

Thanks again...I haven't had a panic attack like that in awhile.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brody108

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 11:18:12 PM »
Ok, I went to the doc and got antibiotics for this. I took the whole course for 10 days. He gave me two different kind, it took awhile to see any progress. I thought the boil was gone but apparently not. I just felt down there tonight and could feel it. It's very small, but it's there.

I'm so scared I'm gonna lose my leg. I can't perform my job with one leg, and I don't know what else
I could do. I'm so scared I'm gonna be jobless and unable to support myself.

I'm going back to the doctor tomorrow and getting a physical. I can not go through 2014 with this anxiety and I have to have all of my limbs. I haven't even got married or had children. I feel like my life is crashing down.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brody108

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 06:56:06 AM »
Made it through the night, now just waiting on the doc to open. I really hate this and I feel like I've put too much tension on my leg now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brody108

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 12:56:29 PM »
My GP is booked until Friday which means I have to go to a minor med. I just can't get the courage to go. I'm so afraid I'm gonna have my leg amputated and plus they are so impersonal at minor meds...not to mention more expensive.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 01:49:38 PM »
You are not going to lose your leg from a boil, especially one that has already shown improvement.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline Brody108

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 03:12:10 PM »
I know it's crazy but my HA is making me believe this crazy stuff.

I'm in the exam room now...wish me luck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brody108

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 04:57:02 PM »
Doc looked at me like a weirdo/crazy person. She couldn't see anything and prescribed me antibiotics just in case it came back. My leg is here to stay.

I'm scheduled for blood work on Wednesday morning. Gonna get a physical to ease my mind. I'm starting therapy again on the 23rd. I refuse to go through another year of this foolishness. I was living a happy and healthy (knew I was healthy) life in 2012 and one little scrape on my forehead (tetanus scare) ruined my whole 2013 with health anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: