Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Eye symptoms, various questions  (Read 328 times)

Offline LivD

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Eye symptoms, various questions
« on: December 18, 2013, 03:56:04 AM »
Some of my symptoms are gone or almost gone (lines in vision, heartbeat visible).
Some come and go: for example, visual snow. Ignored it for months, then slowly focused on it again... now it's thicker and more noticeable, though I don't mind it much as before. :yes: But then, since it "went away" before, it can "go away" again, right? Do someone else experience it this way?

Other question: do your symptoms get a bit worse with cold?? I noticed I see more spots when it's cold (I mean a few Celsius degrees), must have to do with circulation.

Thanks to anyone who replies!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kindra11

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
Re: Eye symptoms, various questions
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 11:40:02 AM »
I have had all kinds of on again off again eye issues with anxiety! I went to my dr and my optometrist to rule out anything crazy and when blood and eye test were perfect I
They all went away. Sometimes my peripheral vision in my left eye is still off and my right eye gets a blurry snowy thing but anxiety can definitely cause this! Pay attention to how often you blink!! And maybe try some natural tears. They helped a lot! Also closing your eyes and looking around until you feel a stretch in the muscles behind your eyes helps too!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Broken, But Not Destroyed

Offline LivD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PM »
Thanks Kindra! I'm so glad your symptoms went all away, what a relief. Also good news for me.  :happy0151:
I do have eye drops, my doctor recommended to use it many times during the day. I'm aware anxiety can also cause dry eyes. And in winter they burn sometimes.
I often get the impression that my eyes are tense, did you?
Bookmark and Share

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
Visual snow is permanent and doesn't go away. The reason it might have seemed like it went away is because you were ignoring it and/or not thinking about it and your blocked it but its always there. Its there even in people who never see it. Its one of those things that once noticed, never becomes unnoticed.

I have had visual snow since I first noticed it when I was a child and its always been there. Many times I have gone through periods where it has seemed like it was gone but that's because I just wasn't looking for it and it blended with the background where it couldn't be seen much but for the most part, I've always noticed my visual snow. Sometimes I do notice it much more strongly than other times, like when I wake up in the middle of the night or when I'm exceptionally anxious. A lot of times it's so bad, it bothers me enough to interfere with my night vision.

Basically visual snow is not fully understood but it appears to be neurological, benign and everyone has it, whether they notice it or not.
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Offline Kindra11

Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 11:33:34 PM »
Yes LivD that is absolutely how I would describe my eyes!! Tense! Hope yours work themselves out soon!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline LivD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 02:44:17 AM »
JunoX, I know visual snow is permanent, I've had it almost all my life. But I see a huge difference in its "quality" (thicker, much more visible in the dark) whether I'm stressed/anxious or just paying attention to it. I put "went away" in quotation marks because I know it's still there, but I don't care as long as it's not noticeable. It started bothering me - after more than 20 years with it - last year in autumn because of the stress that other symptoms were causing me.
It's indeed a strange thing but the possibility of "blocking" it is a positive side of it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LivD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 05:21:29 AM »
By the way, one thing that makes my vs worse is eating a lot of simple carbs, pasta, pizza, sweet stuff... an excess of them is linked to anxiety, not surprisingly. Recently I noticed having pizza for dinner even makes me sleep bad!
Bookmark and Share

Offline LivD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 02:11:44 PM »
An I should avoid long hours at the computer (which is really hard, also because I work on it).
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kindra11

Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 12:46:53 AM »
Have you seen an optometrist about reading/computer glasses? Mine helped a ton!
Bookmark and Share

Offline LivD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 05:05:27 AM »
Uhmm, no, but I need glasses for myopia and strabismus. I guess those are a different kind? I cpuld ask at the next visit. Thx  :winking0008:
I should at least take more breaks when I have to use the computer...
Bookmark and Share

Offline karachondria

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Hi. I'm a teenage hypochondriac. I'm here to help💕
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 11:14:28 AM »
My visual snow goes mental in the dark, it turns white and yellow and the room seems to get darker, I also see white flashes and can hardly see my hand in front of my face until my eyes get used to the darkness. I also have haloes around streetlights, BFEP, flashes and floaters and I'm 14. I was at the opticians last Tuesday and my eye tests all came back perfect so I wouldn't worry
Bookmark and Share

Offline LivD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 12:12:26 PM »
Oh yeah. I replied to one of your posts... :) I totally understand you, I don't like to be in the dark anymore.
I don't worry anymore after being visited by 3 different doctors. Well, not true, sometimes I have the irrational fear that there's something serious or that it can worsen, even if I got *better* in the last year. But therapy has helped me a lot and most of the time I'm calm. I hope that I'll stop somatizing soon. One year ago I didn't believe I could, now I'm certain I will.
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 03:42:22 PM »
I too have had weird vision symptoms. I get visual snow, seeing heartbeat (never thought of explaining it that way), dots of light, floaters, etc. I know anxiety can really mess with your eyes. Also I think we are all hypersensitive to our bodies so we notice every single thing that most people wouldn't think twice about.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 04:16:35 PM »
Visual snow can change in its intensity. Like I mentioned in my previous post, there are times its much more noticeable than other times. I've had mines extremely intense, to the point of it blocking most of my vision, when I've woken up at night. Dim light is worse than full dark for mines. I don't believe that the visual shown itself changes or becomes worse, I think that we just notice it more at times.
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Offline LivD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 05:33:30 PM »
But did you notice specific factors that make it more noticeable? Because I had never seen it so intense as one year ago - right after the most stressful time in my life and when I had become hyperaware of any vision symptom. For more than 20 years it had been barely visible, had never changed. It can't be a coincidence...
Bookmark and Share

Tags: