Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Bad performance rating at work. Is it right?  (Read 196 times)

Offline Klong

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Bad performance rating at work. Is it right?
« on: December 18, 2013, 02:22:37 AM »
Hi.

My name is Kevin and I have GAD with Panic.  I have been hospitalized twice with this illness in the past 2.5 years.  The first hospitalization was for 10 days, the second time was 15 days.  I was diagnosed with this illness in 2000 but I was well for many years.  Unfortunately, in the past few years I have not been very well.  This past year, I managed to somehow hold myself together and not end up in the hospital nor did I end up having to take sick leave from work. 

Although I did not have to take sick leave from work, I struggled much of the past year to make it thru each work day.  I admit, my productivity was not 100%, but I made it thru each day and accomplished some things to the best of my ability.  Other times I suffered from lack of focus, forget-ability, unable to sit still, tiredness from not sleeping, pacing the floors, constant uneasy feelings, paranoia, etc.  I'm sure most of you know the routine.   Even though I was not well, to me, I at first I thought that this was a big accomplishment to make it through each day along with not winding up in hospital again.  My doctor and counsellor says too that it is a big accomplishment.  Now I am second guessing as to if it was an accomplishment or not.

The issue at hand that I question is my "below normal" work performance.  My boss has been un-emphatic to my condition and has many times given me a hard time.  She says it is either black or white...if you are at work, she expects 100% productivity otherwise you should not be there.  My doctor, therapist and myself agree that it is better for me to be at work even though I'm not 100%.  I don't expect to be coddled and babied at work because of my illness, but I do expect my boss to get off my back during the times my illness has the better of me.

I was told the other day that on my performance review that I will be given a poor performance rating by her for the past year.  I'm not sure if this is fair.  I agree, I don't think I should be given a glowing review, but somehow on the other end of the line, I feel it is wrong for her to do this.  Just as I was making some headway with this whole thing, I feel like this is a set back.  She also says she is putting me on a 'performance management plan' which is basically the last step before termination.  I don't think this is correct either.  Maybe I am wrong and deserve all of this?

As for my work, I am a Chemical Engineer with 14 years experience, 8 of them with my current employer.  Before I got sick just over 2 years ago, I was an excellent employee with good reviews.

I would like to hear some opinions on my situation.

Thank you,

K

Bookmark and Share

Offline BeeDot

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bad performance rating at work. Is it right?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 04:43:04 AM »
Ok.  Well, I don't know what your job involves, BUT if a poor work performance means lives will be in danger, then I would have to side with your boss.  Its like, employers cannot discriminate against those with disabilities, BUT there are some jobs that, say, a blind person just cannot do.  And that's not discrimination, those are just the facts of life.  So, if your job can only be done by someone who is one hundred percent focused all the time, well, not much you can do about that. 

However, if a poor work performance simply results in decreased productivity for the company, then I don't think it's wrong for you to be frustrated.  If you are doing everything you can to heal from your anxiety, then I find it unfortunate that your boss is not sympathetic to that.  Have you been able to talk to her?  Is it possible she would understand that you are working on your issues and that by showing up to work, you are constantly fighting back against your anxiety and making progress? 

I hate that so much of the world is not ok with mental illness and cannot be accommodating.  We are just humans after all and some of us struggle with mental health issues.  This should not mean we are pushed to the fringes by employers who only care about the bottom line.
Bookmark and Share
For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe.  -Author Unknown

Offline Kissa

• Rec's: 1
  • I don't remember what calm and relaxed is...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 01:32:49 PM »
I have found that anxiety and depression are things that if you have never had to deal with it, you don't really know what its like.

My hubby just got a performance review and alot of it is crap. Most of his review was in some way about him not wanting to socialize with his coworkers. He takes his 1 hour allotted lunch and goes out to his car to try and get his mind relaxed and give himself a break. At least once a week a group of the other people at his work will go out to lunch. They are always nice enough to invite him, and he is always polite in turning them down. His coworkers see this as being snotty or just not interested in having any kind of relationships with them. No matter how much he explains that he just wants time to rest his mind and relax.

I understand where you are coming from. When I am at work, if my anxiety is high that day (my un-medicated bipolar boss doesn't help) then I have lower production and I tend to forget to do things when a list of crap is thrown at me. All I can say is do your best, and honestly, it never hurts to simply update your resume and casually look around for other job opportunities.
Bookmark and Share
Just because I understand an acknowledge what I am worrying about is silly, doesn't mean I'm able to stop worrying about it.
~One Breath at a Time~

Offline Klong

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 07:26:15 PM »
Thank you for your response.

No, my job has nothing to do with putting lives in danger.

I have tried talking to her so many times in many different approaches.  Unfortunately, nothing works.  It's always about her.  I have given up trying to talk to her, even on a social level due to having to listen to her ego all the time.  I only talk to her when it is necessary and I get right to the point listen to her comments and then move on.  I didn't attend the staff Christmas party solely because I just did not want to be around her. 

The company I work for has many employees (> 5000) and from what it have seen is that they really don't know how to deal with employees like me.  It's a shame.  I have offered to work with them on this, but they didn't respond.

Ok.  Well, I don't know what your job involves, BUT if a poor work performance means lives will be in danger, then I would have to side with your boss.  Its like, employers cannot discriminate against those with disabilities, BUT there are some jobs that, say, a blind person just cannot do.  And that's not discrimination, those are just the facts of life.  So, if your job can only be done by someone who is one hundred percent focused all the time, well, not much you can do about that. 

However, if a poor work performance simply results in decreased productivity for the company, then I don't think it's wrong for you to be frustrated.  If you are doing everything you can to heal from your anxiety, then I find it unfortunate that your boss is not sympathetic to that.  Have you been able to talk to her?  Is it possible she would understand that you are working on your issues and that by showing up to work, you are constantly fighting back against your anxiety and making progress? 

I hate that so much of the world is not ok with mental illness and cannot be accommodating.  We are just humans after all and some of us struggle with mental health issues.  This should not mean we are pushed to the fringes by employers who only care about the bottom line.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Klong

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 01:45:58 AM »
Hi, it's me Kevin again.

Well, my employer fired my sorry a$$ 2 weeks ago.  I was actually doing much better at the time, but still the bottom line is the deciding factor.  It has been a major setback for me and I feel that when I go back to the doctor tomorrow she will recommend the hospital for me.

Sometimes I wish I was dead so as I could stop this misery and no longer be in the way of everybody and everything.
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 02:17:48 AM »
Well, there's a lot at play here. Depending on your employer and the state you work in, you may or May not be able to do something about it. Most employers cannot (by their own policies, not any laws or employment acts) give you a below standard evaluation without it being backed by 1 or more write ups. It IS possible, don't get me wrong, but there needs to be a very thorough explanation.

The other is a term called reasonable accommodation. Some states have references to this in their employment guidelines. Most large companies have a reasonable accommodation policy in their hr guidelines. Reasonable accommodation means an employer will reasonably accommodate an employee with a bonafide medical need. Most of the time, you have to contact your employer's hr division to get a reasonable accommodation approved.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: